Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Intro..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:27 AM
TQ
5 Year Member

Default Intro..

Hey all.. I may be buying a 2006 FM tC next week hopefully. I have a couple questions and I'd like positive feedback and negative. Heres just a list of things I'm going to do to the car soon as I get it. This is what I have to sacrifice and sell to get it.

http://img295.echo.cx/my.php?image=engine2xt.jpg
http://img297.echo.cx/my.php?image=greenflame0jl.jpg

Wheels (Unsure yet, I'm definately going black with the chrome lip, or I may go black/chrome offset like Giavonna has)

Exhaust - I was thinking maybe the Greddy Evo2

Drop - Still unsure about this, advice would be great. I don't want to damage anything and I want to do it right, so any advice on this would be helpful. Am I ok just going with Tein-S springs and not shocks?

Sway Bars - Hotchkis

Intake - Unsure about this also, I'm leaning more towards AEM but would like some feedback.

Dash - Carbon Fiber Trim Kit

And thats all for now, I will add some more later, trust me but I definately am going to do those right away.

All comments and welcome and the more the better...
Old 06-30-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i want the aem...let me know where you can get it....hehe

nice bike.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wheels - a gunmetal w/ polished lip might look nice. i'm still searching for wheels i'd want to run.

exhaust - the greddy evo has a nice tone to it. of course, i'm going based on how it sounds on a wrx. i'd love to hear sound clips of available exhausts for the tc.

suspension - i personally would not run s-techs w/ stock struts. the s-techs produce a pretty big drop and is going to put a lot of strain on the factory struts. i know there are guys not upgrading, but soon enough they will find they have some blown struts. as for the sway bar, any company you go with will be fine. a sway bar is a sway bar.

intake - i guess aem doesn't make a cai for the tc yet. the k&n typhoon has received excellent reviews. again, whatever u run will be fine in the area, unless it's some cheapo ebay intake, which i haven't seen any of those anyway.

dash - if u like the look and want to spend the cash then go for it. i'm not a fan of the simulated cf, but that's just me.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member

Wheels- I'd go with the Gunmetal like Stilyn said.. then again i'm still looking for the perfect set.

Exhaust- greddy has a sweet one, but look into INJEN also.. I haven't seen their exhaust yet, but i'm sure they will come out with one soon.

Suspension- this is a grey area for me, I'm thinking about an aprox. 1.5 in the front and a 1.8 in the back, but I might just save for airbags. (because I want to make mine a show car)

Intake- again, I'm looking into a Short Ram by INJEN, because again i'm not looking at speed. (from what i hear, INJEN has always been a good company on toyotas)

Dash- I used to want a cf dash kit, but when spending time in my tC it just doesn't seem right. I think i need to see one in person first.

Thats a sexy bike, I hope that the tC will fill the void when you depart with it
Old 06-30-2005, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ChicagosFinest
Whe

Suspension- this is a grey area for me, I'm thinking about an aprox. 1.5 in the front and a 1.8 in the back, but I might just save for airbags. (because I want to make mine a show car)
take a look at the tein h-techs...this may give u more of what u are looking for. not to mention u can run the h-techs on stock struts.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:31 PM
TQ
5 Year Member

Can someone explain how to properly lower your car? Example, if I put springs on it instead of shocks how will that effect the stock shocks and will I have to replace them in like a couple months? If I replace it with shocks and springs how will that effect it? What I spend the extra money and get coilovers, will that be better than both? How so? I know you can adjust them but is it worth the money?

Just looking for someone to explain the proper way.

BTW, if anyone is interested in that bike I'll let it go for 15k OBO, thats a steal, the bike value is 19k or more.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TQ
Can someone explain how to properly lower your car? Example, if I put springs on it instead of shocks how will that effect the stock shocks and will I have to replace them in like a couple months? If I replace it with shocks and springs how will that effect it? What I spend the extra money and get coilovers, will that be better than both? How so? I know you can adjust them but is it worth the money?

Just looking for someone to explain the proper way.

BTW, if anyone is interested in that bike I'll let it go for 15k OBO, thats a steal, the bike value is 19k or more.
if you just use lowering coil springs with the stock shocks the car will lower but the shocks will fail early because they were designed for a different height ratio. it is better to also change the shocks when you add a lowering spring....however, this set up will only be at one height. the best scenario, imo, is a coil over setup that is adjustable. you can adjust the height to your liking.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:15 AM
TQ
5 Year Member

Ok so basically lowering springs and shocks will over lower the car to a certain height but if I get the coilover package then I can adjust the car to the level I want. Thats the difference in buying shocks and springs compared to coilovers?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TQ
Ok so basically lowering springs and shocks will over lower the car to a certain height but if I get the coilover package then I can adjust the car to the level I want. Thats the difference in buying shocks and springs compared to coilovers?
yes, buying an aftermarket spring set will just lower the car that one level. not sure what's out there strut-wise, but i know there were struts for the wrx that u could adjust the stiffness. now, if u run springs that don't produce a heavy drop, such as the trd, u can maintain your stock struts and be fine. if u were to run something like the tein s-techs, u definately want to upgrade the struts.

as for coilovers, the main difference between just buying a nice strut/spring package is coilovers can be adjusted. u can adjust the height of them. some people like to do this, especially if they track the car and use it as their daily driver. i personally don't track any of my cars, so, for me, coilovers are a waste of money. they also tend to be more expensive. i found u can buy a nice strut/spring package for $500 or even less if u get a minimally used set. coilovers will tend to run u $800+.