Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Its hard to say goodbye, or is it? What to replace the tc?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Its hard to say goodbye, or is it? What to replace the tc?

I heart the tc, EXTREMELY. Its been an awesome good car to me, but with a new job and absolutely no bills to pay for (momma dukes!! im still in college which the tuition is payed for) and a want for something more edgy than the tc in terms of performance, im starting to look into other cars more. I love the Evo X but for me obviously a $35 car with a regular $10 an hour job is stupid. I would spend more time wokring to pay for the car than actually driving it. Ive looked into both used g35s and RSX type s cars. Im not looking for a super fast 500hp monster (I drive responsibly, you only live once). Just something that takes me from point A to point B faster than the usual

Question is, what car would be a nice upgrade from the tc? I love the look of the RSX and with some mods it can be a mini powerhouse, but look wise I love it more than the g35, but performance wise, I think the g35 is much better plus its RWD. Dont really want a Civic Si. The stock sound is amazing as well, but it wont stay stock trust me. My price range probably tops out at $20k (little over wont hurt). I would probably put a $3k or more downpayment so thats really not too much of an issue. Ialso dont want anything thats older than an 04 model, too many miles. If I cant find anything...oh well say hello to boost!!..on an automatic
Old 10-14-2008, 08:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

dude if you have money to blow at 18 and want to trade the tC, which sounds dumb to me....(how long have u been driving it?) you might as well step it up to the 25k+.

But at $10/hr? come on kid....life aint that easy....help you mother out with the tuition and buy something other than a car.....you might as well get a turbo if that pleases you but even that will run you a solid 7k to do a good job AND to have extra $$ just in case....

id say look around and get something different, maybe a new skateboard ....at 18 and already another car? come on you can't be THAT sick of it.....but if you and your fam roll like that then forget what i just said.

good luck either way
Old 10-14-2008, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you read you woudve seen that tuition is completely covered, and I have abolutely nothing to spend on besides clothes and going out here and there, nothing special. My family is well off and I dont need the job, if anything its a sense of living the "grown life" or a preview of it atleast. I also wanna know what its like to make payments yourself to a car. I dont want ANY help at all to pay for this. If I had a manual trans tc, I probably woudnt trade. But to step up to a manual, why not just get a car that has some power?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

when you're old enough to understand that advice is just advice and not try to defend yourself then come back and ask this again, otherwise...he's only giving you advice. he's already been through 18.

so have i.

also, is your credit good enough to finance?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen
he's only giving you advice. he's already been through 18.

so have i.
I think I was too.....but I don't remember!!

aenedit: i fixed your quote, it was bothering me lol.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the money you're going to lose between the trade-in price of your vehicle and the cost of getting a new $20k vehicle, if you love your tC like you say you do, you might as well invest in a turbo kit and make what you have better. Oh, and good luck financing a car right now.

I hate how crotchety and pretentious this sounds, but if all you're looking for a taste of the "grown life", why not get a job?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Good advice from a person who is still living like he was 18 at more than double that.........

Put your extra money in the bank.......leave it there.........a year from now invest it..........anyone who has money while in school will be lucky.........cause when you get out of school that money can buy you a better life than I will ever have.........

Perhaps it will be enough to get a house.........I am 38 years old and still have no house and never will cause I blew my cash on things like a car.........

So remember........if you are not able to listen to advice perhaps school is not working.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

put in the bank .. IRA.. save for house, when your 24 you will be so much happier. That is where I am right now. 23- going on 24 still in college, wanting my own house.. and have been saving for the past year.. but that's only one year i have been saving.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stick with the tC man.. I traded my 02 neon which was completely paid off for my tC last year.. if the neon was a better car, I would of kept it.. best thing for you to do is to keep the tC.. seriously.. the economy is bad.. you never really know what can go bad.

every year theres gonna be a better and nicer car.. doesnt make sense when your only 18.. in a couple of years im pretty sure you'll be making dbl of what your making now since youre going to school. Doesnt make sense settling for a used g35 or type s. I would try to squeeze a couple of more years out that tc.. dont do any mods to it, just throw that money in the bank for something better

if I really had the money (rich parents plus a 15/hr $ job w/ no bills) and just wanted an upgrade, and was also 18, I would get the g37.. but if you cant go up that high and live comfortable, doesn't really make sense going out for a new car..

in other words... would you quit a job thats paying you $10 with good benefits and your mngr loves u ....and you've been working at the same spot for a years.. here comes along another job paying you $11/hr.. you have NO idea of what that job is going to be like.. why would go for it?
Old 10-14-2008, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Why not stick with the tC for a few more years since you love it so much, and save up. That way, when you get into your mid 20's, you can buy yourself a real car, instead of all the little toys you've mentioned. I already have $18,000 put aside for a house and $7,000 for my upcoming Vette.

Having no car payment > Having a better car with a payment

^ You'll understand that when you work for your own things and actually have bills to pay.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

keep the tc the way this economy is u better be trying to spend the least u can one minute u could have a job the next u might not so try and be easy and jus keep the tc
Old 10-14-2008, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take my advice man:

KEEP YOUR tC!!

I finished college in Dec. 06, stayed at home for about a 1year and half, BANKED and invested ALL of my money!!

Because I had a plan, I recently bought a new 4 bed/ 3 bath home (no co-signer or roommate needed)...a new dining room set....new carpet...new appliances....and a new set of 19" Axis wheels for my tC....and I'm only 24.

Work on your credit while you're in school bro...that's what I did. I opened ONE Visa card account, kept my balance under $200 and paid my other ish on time!

Save your money, develop a strong credit history while you're in school and you'll be set. Even though your family is well off, you need to make your own path. Im a first-generation college Grad and it wasn't easy.

You're in an ideal situation, don't waste your time and money on a car you can only afford now...the Economy isn't going to get better anytime soon. So be smart!!

*stepping off soap box....I'm long-winded.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:34 PM

just keep your tc man
Old 10-14-2008, 05:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep the tC. Use it til your done with college. I guarantee its gonna get soem bumps and bruises in college parking lots so why get a new car where your gonna be ____ed it got a dent. Save all that money your gonna bank and get a nice car when you dotn have to worry about it so much.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

seriously, these guys know what they are talking about.
take that 18k+ u got going for u, get a CD or something 4-5% a year for the next 6 years.
and your 18k is now 22774.95 dollars.
thats nearly 5k for free!!!
thats not including any more money you can save.

trust me the tc is probably the best choice to have while in college.

and saving money instead of blowing it is how u live the "grown life"
Old 10-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Like everyone else is saying, keep the car. Being in debt in college sucks. Wish I could have learned that before I got into college. Now, in my third year, I am just having to manage my debt by getting into a car that I can afford to drive on a daily basis, but will have payments forever. Keep the TC, spend the next couple years saving up your money and get a quicker car later on. I know it is a hard decision, but there are like 10 post above mine that say the same thing, and we all wish we could have been smarter about it when we had the opportunity that you now have.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I would save... but... If you must get a different car, I would look into either the 240sx or 300zx. you can get one in nice condition for less than the value of your tC.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^
Good luck finding one that hasn't been molested by the JDM LOL NOPI DRIFT crowd, though.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by bendy808
seriously, these guys know what they are talking about.
take that 18k+ u got going for u, get a CD or something 4-5% a year for the next 6 years.
and your 18k is now 22774.95 dollars.
thats nearly 5k for free!!!
thats not including any more money you can save.

trust me the tc is probably the best choice to have while in college.

and saving money instead of blowing it is how u live the "grown life"
I think you have me and the OP mixed up.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by CDogbert
^
Good luck finding one that hasn't been molested by the JDM LOL NOPI DRIFT crowd, though.
True true, but there are some out there. I wouldn't mind picking up a 300zx 92+ model. hotness!

Quick Reply: Its hard to say goodbye, or is it? What to replace the tc?