Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

ITT you tell me if my rattles are normal.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ITT you tell me if my rattles are normal.

Ok I know I've seen a million of these and I ever searched but half of the searches come up with pointless threads where people just spout off saying "It's not a BMW, if you wanted a car that didn't rattle you should of spent $30K" .

This thread is just asking if these are normal and if my dealer will even try and fix them as I'm going nuts driving it. Not even my stereo can cover up the rattles anymore (even cranked up to 35-40).

Ok there is a rattle comming from around the right passenger side AC vent (from the right hand side of the dash). This is the worst of all of them, it's constant and loud (only really goes off on somewhat rougher roads but that is most of them around here in Texas)

There is another rattle comming from the hatch which sounds more like glass bouncing around than it does plastic rubbing together.

Both of the front seats squeek when a passenger is in them. At first it was just the passenger seat but now even my seat sometimes squeeks.

Also I think I hear a rattle comming from the moonroof (the front one) but not the notorious popping noise (well maybe it's the popping if someone can describe it to me.

Thanks guys.

Also can the lot of you who can't stand these threads just skip over it and don't post please god because I'm tired of all of you saying the 30K thing. If I wanted to I could of bought a Civic/Corolla/Golf/Mini and not have this bad of a rattle problem.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
Scikotics
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

i agree w/ you. you should not have any rattle, i have not had this problem (knock on wood) but if it happens it will go back to the dealer. you should take it to them and tell them to fix it, dont ask them to, tell them to (Respectfully ) If it cant be fixed then you should get a new one!
Old 01-14-2005, 08:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

any rattle is not normal, just make sure it's not something ridiculously stupid like something rattling in your glove box or parts bouncing around under your trunk where the spare is.

does my TC have rattles? hell if I know, I'm having too much fun driving and the roads around here would be better if they WEREN'T paved so I can't tell if a sound was a rattle, or a small rock hitting my mudguards, or a penny under my seat, but my car is pretty silent and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary

but you guys must have some kind of obcessive compulsive disorder or an attention deficit disorder to be bothered by something like that, hell I heard something in my car and I was like "oh ____ I hope that wasn't the hatchback rattle everyone is talking about that would suck big time" them I say to myself "oh well why should I care anyways, look at how friggin awesome my complete TRD suspension setup can take these turns!! uh-oh time to heel-toe shift again! ooooh yeah!!"

take it to the dealership and tell them exactly what you are telling us, but eliminate the obvious first, I read somewhere a guy in a mercedes kept hearing a faint beeping noise in his car all the time and it started driving him nuts and he kept going back to his dealer left and right and they couldn't figure it out until they told him to just leave it there and they found a pager under the driver's seat... apparantly a Valet dropped it inside his car and forgot it.... so the moral of the story is... get it fixed, but don't be a moron
Old 01-14-2005, 11:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last month i started to hear a rattle when I went over bumps, then I noticed once the car had been sitting in the sun for a while after work you didn't hear it at all, and during our warm streak here in MI i didn't hear it at all, what was happening is it was so damned cold over night some metal pieces were contracting causing something to not fit as tight. Something to think about...thought it sounds like you have some serious rattle issues, and yes I think the dealer should fix this.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

it seems you have all the common noise complaints...
no, i don't think any car at any price should have these issues.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by drgonzo
it was so damned cold over night some metal pieces were contracting causing something to not fit as tight.
when things get colder they do contract, but that causes them to fit tighter (remember the whole car is cold and ctracting, not just one part here and there).
Old 01-14-2005, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is another rattle comming from the hatch which sounds more like glass bouncing around than it does plastic rubbing together.
I have this rattle as well.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dgHotLava
it was so damned cold over night some metal pieces were contracting causing something to not fit as tight.
when things get colder they do contract, but that causes them to fit tighter (remember the whole car is cold and ctracting, not just one part here and there).
Depending on the material, the parts will contract at different rates.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Last month i started to hear a rattle when I went over bumps, then I noticed once the car had been sitting in the sun for a while after work you didn't hear it at all, and during our warm streak here in MI i didn't hear it at all, what was happening is it was so damned cold over night some metal pieces were contracting causing something to not fit as tight. Something to think about...thought it sounds like you have some serious rattle issues, and yes I think the dealer should fix this.

I think you totally missed the part where I said I lived in Texas, it doesn't really get cold here. And yes it does rattle even when it's warm outside.

And no I don't have OCD or ADD and I enjoy driving my car I can just hear things so I'm sorry that I have better hearing than you.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also have many different sounds coming from all over my car. I am not expecting perfection, but it's getting a bit much. I've tried to "feel things out" and see if I can track down any of the trouble spots but so far I've had no luck. From all the posts I've read over the months it seems to me that this car has a few noise trouble areas. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of them are fixed in the new year's redesign, even if it's something as small as a style of fastener or the like. When I take my car in for service I am going to politely ask them to see if they can do something about the noises. I dig my tC, but the noises do bug.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member

i agree no rattle is normal be concerned and check it out
Old 01-14-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, my rattle even though does not annoying me to the point of not driving. But it does stress me up when it happens. It is dang distracting and I could not concentrate. Mine has a rattle in the driver side door, sounds like something's loose and kinda like a rock keep rolling in the door panel. Talk about annoying.... dang!

The squeaking sound coming behind the stereo has been fixed! Yay! I took the stereo out (along with the A/C controls) and shake it gently in my hand and reproduce the same squeaking sound. I narrow it down and fix it up some silicone grease.

What's more, I hear a new noise coming from the passenger side and I cannot even point out exactly where. *sigh* mine is really a _____, keep giving me sh*t like this. I am going to buy some dynamate and put it behind the door panel. Hopefully, it'l solve the problem.
Old 01-15-2005, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If your car is under warranty have you tried taking it to the dealer?

Originally Posted by Harman
Well, my rattle even though does not annoying me to the point of not driving. But it does stress me up when it happens. It is dang distracting and I could not concentrate. Mine has a rattle in the driver side door, sounds like something's loose and kinda like a rock keep rolling in the door panel. Talk about annoying.... dang!

The squeaking sound coming behind the stereo has been fixed! Yay! I took the stereo out (along with the A/C controls) and shake it gently in my hand and reproduce the same squeaking sound. I narrow it down and fix it up some silicone grease.

What's more, I hear a new noise coming from the passenger side and I cannot even point out exactly where. *sigh* mine is really a _____, keep giving me sh*t like this. I am going to buy some dynamate and put it behind the door panel. Hopefully, it'l solve the problem.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: ITT you tell me if my rattles are normal.

Originally Posted by MrJohnson

Ok there is a rattle comming from around the right passenger side AC vent (from the right hand side of the dash). This is the worst of all of them, it's constant and loud (only really goes off on somewhat rougher roads but that is most of them around here in Texas)
I have something from that area. possibly glove compartment?

I have this. this is what i hear most of the time when i go over bumps.

Also I think I hear a rattle comming from the moonroof (the front one) but not the notorious popping noise (well maybe it's the popping if someone can describe it to me.
I have this too. For me, it seemed like a buzzing. Now i kinda see the moonroof railing move sometimes. hopefully it wont get worst.

Are rattles covered under warrantee? Or would they say that it is due to wear and tear? i would have expected at least to have the car a little bit longer before it started to rattle. it started rattling the second day.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:22 AM
5 Year Member

I just took my car in to the local dealer. Told them about the near constant rattle from the infamous sunroof. I used to only get a sporadic pop. Now it has progressed to creaking at every bump in the road. Left the car all day at the dealer, and fetch it after I get a phone call saying it was done.

Of coarse the car still rattles the same way. I am pretty sure no one even drove the car. They locktighted the screws as per the TSB, and called it a day. I am quite ____ed, as I took a day off work so that they could have time to take an in depth look at the sunroof, and the dealership wasted the day.

I plan to call them tomorrow, but that I will have to take another day off if they want the car back. Why can't anyone do the job right the first time anymore?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member

I've had my car to the dealer a couple of times now and talked them into a loaner. At least then you won't have to take a day off work.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:43 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah me too! I have something almost exactly the same rattle in the back just like you described. I have learned to live with it. It is hopeless taking it to the dealer, it is either they can not duplicate it or it is not covered by warranty. You can try drive very fast on bumpy road maybe that loose stuff might get lodged somewhere.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default wow!

This morning was the one of the coldest days that I've driving my tC in, since I first got it back in July. Wow! I didn't have any music playing at the time and I heard rattles coming from everywhere! I was starting to go crazy.

One was coming from the hatch somewhere. Another was coming from the rear moonroof and a new rattle was coming from the front moonroof. I also found another one but it was just the passenger seatbelt tapping against the side.

I'm going to take it to the dealer to have them checked out. I can't deal with it anymore.

But in answer to the original posters question.... i wouldn't say the rattles are normal because they shouldn't be normal for any car but they sure are common.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took my car in over the weekend for my first free oil change and while I was talking to the service guy I mentioned something about all the noises the car makes. I specifically mentioned the moonroof and hatch noises and how they seemed to be a widespread problem. He just looked at me and said "that's the first I've heard about it."

I told him at some point I would make an appointment to try to get them taken care of. I get the feeling that taking the car in would be a waste of time. I mean it's worth a try, but I get the feeling I will just lose the services of my car for a day and when I get it back all the noises will still be there.

On the drive to work this morning, I had noises coming from all over the car. The moonroof (I opened and closed it again and that seemed to help a little bit), no less than three spots in the dash, seemed like one behind the radio, and one on each side of the car around the air conditioning vents the best I could tell. Also had the hatch making some noise. I keep meaning to check out the spare tire and tools to see if they are fastened down good enough. Who knows. All I know is if I'm not listening to music to cover up the noises, the car drives me crazy.

Again, I love the car, but a new car should not be grating on my nerves as much as this one is.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Answer to rattle from hatch

The Toyota has shipped hundreds of scions (tC) with the wrong torque on the sunroof mounting. It's not for a recall because it's not a critical item. If you go to the dealer and tell them about the issue they can use their system to look up the field fix for this issue, there is one out there. As for the other rattles it's not normal and you should have it looked at.

There is a FTR (field technical report) written on this exact issue and it will be addressed when you go in to see the dealer.

P.S. it shouldn't cost you anything even if it's past the warranty!!

Quick Reply: ITT you tell me if my rattles are normal.