Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

ITT you tell me if my rattles are normal.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member

Default Rattles/noises

Here's my take.

I really like the car. I think it's a great value.

However, the noises are really irritating, especially for a new car. I would expect this from a car that is 4> years old, but not a brand new car.

I have a recent rattle (sounds like fast clicking/fluttering) that comes from the dash area. It's unusually because it's related to the gas pedal i.e. if I accelerate on the freeway then I can hear it, as soon as I take my foot off it goes away. I can't figure out what it is yet.

I have a weird noise coming from the hatch area. It sounds like if you took congas/drums and lightly tapped at them constantly. It has a hollow sound to it. It's not noticeable until I hit freeway speeds and is more prominent on grooved roads. It may be just because these are low profile tires, but it seems to be an unusual sound. Any clues to what it might be? Is it normal?

I also have an array of intermittent rattles that come from my doors and dash area.

I'm happy with my car. I would just be happier if it didn't have these noises!
Old 01-17-2005, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, not to bash tC because I am a proud tc owner too, but my 92 Tercel does not rattle. Understand why I am frustrated now?
Old 01-18-2005, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is exactly why I didn't consider the tC when I was shopping for a new car last august. I'm hoping all the bugs will be minimized by the time the 06 or 07 models come out, then maybe I'll consider upgrading(if my income is greater)
Old 01-19-2005, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have the exact rattle as described by "blacktcsy". It is coming from the hatch area-actually from the right side of the hatch. A loud hollow type sound. I emptied everything out from the back of the car. I had my son listen in the back as I drove. He says it is coming from somewhere inside the body of the car-right side toward the bottom. Time to go to the dealer
Old 01-21-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, it should not make noises.
Yes, it is covered under warranty.
Yes, you should take it to your dealer ASAP.
Yes, you should check if it was fixed.

then

a. if it is fixed
Yes, you should buy that turbo

b. if it is not fixed
Yes you should complain to the dealer
Yes, you should call up Scion.

--

If you guys dont take it to the dealer, simple things as this will not be fixed, end of story there. Why lose you hair over something that can be solved?
Old 01-22-2005, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a rattle sounds like the rear drivers side like there is something loose banging around
Old 01-22-2005, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have never heard a single rattle in my car...this car is solid.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

could be because its like 5 degrees here
Old 01-23-2005, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ever since the weather became cold, rattles from various location began...

near by passenger's side AC vent...it could be glove box. when it was rattling, I opened the glove box to see if it will stop, and it DID stop... so i assume it's more of glove box than AC vent.

the infamous hatch rattle...can't really pin point the exact location...i have no idea if it's glass or the frame...

time to time, i get little bit of squeeky noise around radio area.

I got my TC at the end of September and I had no problem regarding noise until this winter. does this mean i have to deal with this noise EVERY winter? hmm...i hope not....
Old 01-29-2005, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

scion called yesterday for my satisfation survey and i mentioned the rattle in my hatch and they asked if i wanted someone to call me back about the rattle. I said sure, the next day someone called and told me to bring it to the dealer to have them check it out then he said the are looking into the hatch rattle and trying to come up with a permanent fix abd there should be a tsb comming out when the figure out a solution
Old 01-29-2005, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The trunk rattle might be a bit more simple than some folks think. Check your tag frame. Seriously. If you have a plastic tag frame and the metal plate is not snug into it, you will get a hollow sounding rattle over even small bumps. Check the fit of your tag and tighten the tag bolts. Also, you may want to put a piece of foam tape under the bottom portion of the tag.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill give that a try
Old 01-30-2005, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I removed the license plate and frame and drove around. The rattle is still there. The rattle is definately wose when it is very cold outside. Here in South Bend, the temperature has been below zero a couple of days. The rattle was very loud. The last few days it has been around 15-20 degrees (which is warm for us) and the rattle is still there but not as loud. It is coming from the hatch area- and I believe from the bottom right side. On a very smooth road, there is no rattle but any bump in the road produces the rattle. I am bringing it to the dealer on Tuesday.
Update--Today the temperature got up to around 40 degrees for the first time since I bought this car. The rattle was completely GONE. Whatever this is, it is definately related to cold weather.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Tc rattles >>>>>>>>>>>>&

I have had my tc for about a month now and from day one I had a rattle coming from the right rear corner of my hatch. My friend went back there when I was driving and he said it was because the whole hatch was bouncing up and down. It seemed like when he pushed it up a little bit it stopped. It also seems like the harder I close it the more it rattles. It sounded like one of those shock towers was either loose or it was banging on something. Anyways, I took it in to the dealership and they took a look at it. It took about an hour and a half . They drove it about 3 miles and determined that it was the shock tower mount. They "fixed" it by tightening the shock tower bolts. The dealership said it was loose and they said they turned the bolts like 3 times! I drove away with no rattles. When I opened the hatch and closed it again, the rattle started again. Im not sure what to do now. I don't know where it is coming from, the shock mount or the latch. I was thinking of trying to adjust the metal bumper on the side of the hatch down to push up harder on the hatch. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2005, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I am going to look into using some sound deadening materials in key areas of my car to try and combat the problems. They way I see it, the dealerships are never going to be able to "fix" the rattles and noises. I looked into different products some time back but never acted on it but I think I am going to start looking again. Probably some combination of the liquid and solid deadener will do the trick. I figure if you put some in the right areas it might silence some of the vibration sounds which tend to pop up.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I fixed the problem with $2

the stuff i used was some black foam tape i cut about a length of an inch and the cut was 1/4" wide.. then applied it to the bumper stop on the hatch (this bumper stop is on either side of the hatch and has a bolt holding it to the hatch. So basically the foam tape is 1/4" high, cut to 1/4" width, in a 1 inch length..
It is sticky on one side, peel off the protective label and attach it to the surface where you want it.. It's black, so it blends in.. doesn't look strange at all.. most people wouldn't know what it was.. if i cut more length I could've wrapped it further up the bumper stop (since the bumper stop is in a wide "U" shape) to make it blend in more.. But this isn't something that most people are going to say detracts from the car..