jeta type window controll...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default jeta type window controll...

ok, so when i was car xhopping i went to the VW dealership before i bought my scion. (it was a matter of just looking around i made the right decision in the end so stop looking at me like that....ok stop now....now...ok) and the new (and some older for that matter) jetta's have a a really cool trick up their sleves. you can roll the windows up/down with just putting you car in the drivers side lock, turn to either lock or unlock, and the windows go up or down respectively. and when they gat to a certin point if you want, just release the key and the windows will stop.

does any one know how to do this, or if its possible to do this, with a tc? i think it would be a cool mod and a reason not to shave the door handels. of course you could probably do the same thing with a remote... though i think you would lose the ability to stop it at your will.

edit-----------------
does any one know a good jetta forum to maybe get more resarch done???
Old 07-14-2005, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I thought that was poor design by VW actually. A good idea, but incomplete. With virtually every car having keyless entry, why would they make you stick the key in the lock??? Just make it part of the remote.

A neat little feature though is one that closes your windows and sunroof when it rains (as long as the car is off and the system voltage is good) ... I designed one of those as my senior design project in college and installed it on my mustang (no sunroof, just the windows). The funny part was as a safety consideration I added jam protection in case someones hands were in the way when they were activated.... too bad I didnt get that patent huh? But, its tough to spit up 15 grand for a patent when you are starting grad school!!

Ok, back on topic now... who got us off topic?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

But, to your question. As long as there is a sensor to tell the key is in the door lock it would be fairly easy to design. It would take a monitor circuit on the sensor, a logic section (easily created with a microcontroller), a drive circuit for the relays and some protection circuits. Granted that the designer has some EE experience it would be a cinch really. But, I am not sure if the tC has a key sensing circuit on the door locks... and it is not a feature I would like, so the only way I would attempt taking mine apart to design it would be if there was a very large group wanting it.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Our 2003 Highlander does that. Only with the drivers door though. You stick the key in and turn it one way and it will roll down the drivers window, and turn the other way to roll it back up. I thought it was cool...until a customer came in and rolled sown his new BMW windows with a touch of his alarm remote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

engifineer
Old 07-14-2005, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would recommend just getting an alarm, such a DEI (Viper/clifford), and having auxillary outputs to a window module, which allows all this to work at the touch of a button. I'm looking into the viability of doing this without a module, but this would require the car to be on to operate (remote start is your friend).
Old 07-14-2005, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Whipped... gotta talk about the geeky stuff when I get a chance

Seriously though, I do try to keep track of the various electronic items people on here have interest in. I am always looking for cool projects that I can do. I currently am using the money I make on converting peoples gauge LEDs to fund other enhancement projects I have designed "in my head". I have parts on the way to try some other cool stuff with the gauges. So I am happy to hear everyones ideas and suggestions for other stuff (such as this) as well!
Old 07-14-2005, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
I would recommend just getting an alarm, such a DEI (Viper/clifford), and having auxillary outputs to a window module, which allows all this to work at the touch of a button. I'm looking into the viability of doing this without a module, but this would require the car to be on to operate (remote start is your friend).
That would be the best route to go for this. And, as mentioned, will eliminate using the key.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by engifineer
Whipped... gotta talk about the geeky stuff when I get a chance :P

Seriously though, I do try to keep track of the various electronic items people on here have interest in. I am always looking for cool projects that I can do. I currently am using the money I make on converting peoples gauge LEDs to fund other enhancement projects I have designed "in my head". I have parts on the way to try some other cool stuff with the gauges. So I am happy to hear everyones ideas and suggestions for other stuff (such as this) as well!
i have a feeling youre the guy i need to talk to about this... got room on your couch after i take delivery of my car?? joking... sorda...
Old 07-14-2005, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The BMW mini uses simple relays in tune with their keyless entry. You just hold down the unlock button and the windows roll down until you let go. I had the same thing with my door poppers on my shaved doors. All you would need to do is get the add on module for window roll down. I connected my positive wire for my lock/unlock module, to the input on the relay, the output on the relay is then connected to the window roll down module and, in the words of emeril, BAM!! you have automatic window roll down. You could always get another relay to do the same thing for window rollup. Many alarms have this, but you just press lock once and they roll up, big whoopie.