Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Leg Cramping

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:01 AM
SL Member

Default Leg Cramping

So Ive only had my tc for a few days now and I really havent driven it very far yet (75-80 ish miles) but on even just a short trip to work or something like that my right leg starts to get a little stiff/crampish. Maybe I am just not used to the layout of the new car yet and that is why my leg seems to be getting stiff, as I am coming from a truck I could see how it may take some getting used to. BTW Its an Auto.

Have any of you experienced this type of thing when you first got the car? And did it go away after a while?

How do you have your seat positioned? Would less of a bend in the knee or more of a bend help?

And lastly, how do you press on the gas? Full foot on the petal or just your toes on the bottom of it?

Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 02:03 AM
Banned
SL Member

maybe it's your seat position? i know when I'm playing rock band (drums) and my seat isn't right, my right leg starts cramping too! i wonder if anyone else gets this...
Old 01-03-2008, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I never had a problem like this. I position my seat where i feel im most comfortable, and can fully press the clutch.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2_much_tc
maybe it's your seat position? i know when I'm playing rock band (drums) and my seat isn't right, my right leg starts cramping too! i wonder if anyone else gets this...
LOL rockband.
Yea my leg has cramped up to but thats one superlong drives.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OP, I think your problem is the way you are operating the gas pedal. There is no right or wrong way to do it, but there is an easy way and a hard way. I've seen people who drive with their right foot fully on/over the gas pedal and not touching the floor. I tried it and it doesn't work for me. I drive with my heal on the floor and just change the angle of my foot to let my toes control the gas. When I tried the other method, it made my leg cramp up pretty quickly. Because of the heal-toe method, my floor mat has a pretty deep indentation from the heal of my foot, but I feel more comfortable that way. I also have my right-leg bent quite a bit, to the point where the side of my right knee touches the side of the console. It just feels better that way.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:52 AM
SL Member

Thanks Rod, I will have to try that on the way to work tomorrow and see if it helps any because the layout of the car is totally different from the truck that I had been driving for the last 3 years.

I am sure that I will get used to it after a while but didnt know if it was just me or a common problem that other people may have had as well.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My tC's an '06 and I'm assuming the seat adjustments on an '08 are the same.

If this is the case, on the side of your seat there are 3 adjustments. Forget about the one that adjusts the seatback angle (the back one).

Check out the round **** near the front (it adjusts the front of the seat up and down) and the lever in the middle (it adjusts the rear of the seat up and down).

I'm most comfortable with the front of the seat all the way up and the rear of the seat all the way down. Like Rod, I too have a divot in my floormat from my heal and I also rest my leg against the console.

I hope this helps....if you haven't already tried it.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I had same problem going from van to car.........
Old 01-03-2008, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BZinn1
I had same problem going from van to car.........
Van??
Old 01-03-2008, 03:31 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by rdck
My tC's an '06 and I'm assuming the seat adjustments on an '08 are the same.

If this is the case, on the side of your seat there are 3 adjustments. Forget about the one that adjusts the seatback angle (the back one).

Check out the round **** near the front (it adjusts the front of the seat up and down) and the lever in the middle (it adjusts the rear of the seat up and down).

I'm most comfortable with the front of the seat all the way up and the rear of the seat all the way down. Like Rod, I too have a divot in my floormat from my heal and I also rest my leg against the console.

I hope this helps....if you haven't already tried it.
I just went out and checked my seat and the one that spins was cranked all the way to the bottom as low as it would go. I will try riding with it up at the top and see if that helps any. Thanks
Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you'll see a huge difference. With the front all the way up and the back all the way down, your thigh is nicely supported.

And I know I said forget about the seatback angle, but of course that matters too. With those 3 adjustments, I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

Ron
Old 01-04-2008, 12:59 AM
SL Member

So... I think its just because I am not used to it yet... While raising the front seat support did seem to help a little I still start to feel it after a little while. As I drove to work this morning I paid attention to what I was doing with my foot and it seems that I am kinda holding it up a little bit because if I let the full force of my foot fall on the gas I would go flying lol... I didn't think I had a lead food but who knows?
Holding my leg up is what I would imagine is causing the strain, and trying even harder to take it easy while I am still breaking the car in also adds to it. I think that once I get used to how the car moves then it will get better. I am just not used to being able to very very slightly tap the gas and have the car jam away.

I will post back in a month or so if i remember and update again for people who may search for this in the future.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Like I said, you need to try gassing it with your toes and not your whole foot. You are constantly straining to keep your foot elevated so that it does not press down on the gas. Instead, try letting all the weight rest on the floor and just use your toes on the front half of the gas pedal.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Joyride
I never had a problem like this. I position my seat where i feel im most comfortable, and can fully press the clutch.
indeed. the transition from my old car to the tc took a while to get used to.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by RodC
Like I said, you need to try gassing it with your toes and not your whole foot. You are constantly straining to keep your foot elevated so that it does not press down on the gas. Instead, try letting all the weight rest on the floor and just use your toes on the front half of the gas pedal.
trust me, this method makes you a lot more comfortable!!
Old 01-04-2008, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im pretty clost to rod. except when i down shift, i do heel-toe. to brake, clutch, down shift, revmatch. its a little difficult to learn but now i do it almost all the time. i sit with the seat all the way back and fully "bucketed" as i call it. and yah im 6'3" and have no problem driving the tc!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Leg Cramping

Originally Posted by deadtoaster2
So Ive only had my tc for a few days now and I really havent driven it very far yet (75-80 ish miles) but on even just a short trip to work or something like that my right leg starts to get a little stiff/crampish. Maybe I am just not used to the layout of the new car yet and that is why my leg seems to be getting stiff, as I am coming from a truck I could see how it may take some getting used to. BTW Its an Auto.

Have any of you experienced this type of thing when you first got the car? And did it go away after a while?

How do you have your seat positioned? Would less of a bend in the knee or more of a bend help?

And lastly, how do you press on the gas? Full foot on the petal or just your toes on the bottom of it?

Thanks
OMG i get the same thing. I just didnt want to post that question and look odd

I think my problem is that i try and be too light on the ga pedal. I think the gas pedal is very "touchy" so i try my best not to put too much force on it at all times which causes my leg to cramp. I totally understand where you are coming from.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I use to get a cramp on my left ankle. But that was because I went from an Auto Truck to a 5 speed car. The clutch was like a work out. After a while I got use to it and now no cramp.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my clutch leg cramps up from doing a lot of city driving. drinking more mtn dew than water doesnt help matters none. if you drink more water your leg probably wont do that.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 07_Scion_Tc
Originally Posted by 2_much_tc
LOL rockband.
Yea my leg has cramped up to but thats one superlong drives.
LOL also about the ROCK BAND comment. My son was playing Rock Band the other day when I posted and he's playing it again now....hahaha

Anyway, I was thinking about this while I was driving today. I noticed that in addition to having my heal on the floor and pushing on the middle or bottom of the pedal, I also have the right side of my throttle foot resting against the transmission hump a little bit (along with part of my leg leaning on the console). That is until I slide my foot over to the left side of the pedal to 'heel and toe' when downshifting (or if I'm trying to keep the revs up while I'm cornering so I can power out of the corner better).

When I first got my tC, I did find the 'drive-by-wire' throttle a bit sensitive, but I was able to adapt without too much trouble.

You'll get used to it before you know it and you won't even think about it as it becomes more natural.

Quick Reply: Leg Cramping