Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Lowering my tC with TRD springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 02:46 AM
5 Year Member

Default Lowering my tC with TRD springs

I'm thingking of having the TRD springs on my tC but my main concern would be scraping it on speed bumps and steep driveways. Since reading a lot of articles about it, I'm inclined not to do it because of scraping problems. I do have the ground effects installed and live in San Francisco. I would like to have it lowered for better performance and better stance of the car. Need advise.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

we had 19's and the TRD springs on our tC demo before it sold and never had any problems with scraping or bumping. Granted you want to be a little more careful than stock and not go bombing it off of curbs, but that's a gimmie.

I was happy with the way they rode, it looks sic as hell and I'd recommend them. Hope that helps.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i have yet to scrap anything with my trd springs and i am not being overly carefull
Old 08-23-2004, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL...hopeful;ly will have mine installed Monday
Old 08-23-2004, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the advise guys, I have calling around to check how much it would cost for the install and to my surprise the dealers price for the TRD springs is $250 and when I got to talk to service dept. they said it would cost $720 to install. I was just disappointed to learn how expensive it is and probably will just have to wait till I get a better deal somewhere. I do want it on a dealership to keep the warranty of the car. The dealership is Scion 101 in Redwood City, CA and they said it would take 6hours to do it.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by materialboy
Thanks for the advise guys, I have calling around to check how much it would cost for the install and to my surprise the dealers price for the TRD springs is $250 and when I got to talk to service dept. they said it would cost $720 to install. I was just disappointed to learn how expensive it is and probably will just have to wait till I get a better deal somewhere. I do want it on a dealership to keep the warranty of the car. The dealership is Scion 101 in Redwood City, CA and they said it would take 6hours to do it.
my dealer is charging me $310 installed. People with the body kit AND lowering springs, you are alright with scraping? And you are lower than a parking lot stop right? I couldnt touch my front tires to it could I?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I'm pretty sure springs with kit will make you scrape way way more than just springs. So one has to choose - nice handling or bling. I'm more into handling...

And as for install price - there's been half a dozen threads on how much people are paying and warranty and all this stuff. Basically if you do it yourself and mess it up - then yes, warranty for the part that you messed up is void. So don't mess up. Find a performance shop to do it that would warranty their work - then you have someone to annoy if you have problems. I had mine done for basically dinner money by 2 buddies of mine, and I obviously tried to participate as much as possible. It did not go without a hitch, but all issues were resolved within the next day.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i paid 170 for springs and nothing to install just do it yourself its pretty easy
Old 08-23-2004, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess I wont be getting my springs installed..my dealer is selling the springs for $199, the alignment will be about $60, and the install is a Trump staggering $473.00 and they recommend I plan to leave the car with them all day.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i did it in 2.5 hrs still need to align tho need to get specs my machine dont list that new of a car.
Old 08-24-2004, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by materialboy
Thanks for the advise guys, I have calling around to check how much it would cost for the install and to my surprise the dealers price for the TRD springs is $250 and when I got to talk to service dept. they said it would cost $720 to install.

Mine are going in Wednesday. $199 for the springs, and hopefully about $150-175 for the install. They know I was quoted $350 total initially, so if they try to gouge me I'll be very unhappy (and loud and obnoxious.)
Old 08-24-2004, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member

How much do the springs lower the car and how come nobody is getting the shocks at the same time? You do realize that you would have saved a ton of money on install right? Hell, that would have made it really easy to do it yourself.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thats why im waiting for the

TEIN BASIC DAMPER KIT hehe :D
Old 08-24-2004, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JordanRL
How much do the springs lower the car and how come nobody is getting the shocks at the same time? You do realize that you would have saved a ton of money on install right? Hell, that would have made it really easy to do it yourself.
I think the drop is 1.25-1.5". I am not getting the shocks at the same time because I already have good shocks. They only have 1500 miles on them, and they're under warranty for 36,000 miles, even with the TRD springs (but only if I have the dealer install them.) I assume you mean I would spend the same amount to have springs+struts installed as springs alone? Yes, I know, but I'll get better struts when these wear out. No doing it myself because of the warranty. If I don't touch it, and something on the suspension fails, I know it's covered. Once the warranty is up, then I'll start doing stuff myself. (Ok, so I plan to put the TRD rear sway bar on myself, but I can't forsee it breaking or causing any problems.)
Old 08-24-2004, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^ to original poster. I live in SF also and I'll tell you, there is a really good chance that you're going to scrape if you lower your car and have ground effects. I've already scraped and my car is stock. Granted, I have a really steep driveway. So yeah, be careful and take driveways at an angle!