Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Manual Vs. Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member

Default Manual Vs. Automatic

I just got my AT tc a liitle while ago and have been a frequent vistor to the site. i been reading alot of forums and i notice everyone says that the MT tc is so much dam fun, and that the AT tc is not all that. i feel kinda ____ed becuase i paid the extra $ for an auto, when its not as good as the manual. so just wanted to know is the MT better than the AT or am i just making a big deal out of nothing. and does anyone feel the same way i do. Thanks
Old 12-16-2004, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member

depends what you like and how you drive...automatics are alot easier in stop n go traffic but manuals are faster, and in my opinion alot more fun.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Have you read the featured article? https://www.scionlife.com/features/f_041201/
I suggest you read it... he talks about drag racing and how he'd prefer a manual b/c it gives experienced drivers an advantage. They end up racing with automatics, he gives his impressions there. ...read it.

Personally, I think manuals are better because its just funner than AT. It gives you something to do while driving. Now if i just drove long distances in my car, then sure, an AT would be better. Especially in traffic jams because the stop-go thing can get old in an MT. But out on the open backroads where i live, an MT is def. the way to go.

With an MT, you decide where to shift, allowing more control over the style of driving you want. I believe you can get a quicker start out of MT's when you know how to drive it properly. You can also get more power out of each gear with an MT whereas with an AT a computer decides where to shift.

All in all, i'm not sure if the AT has a lesser top speed, and i'm sure you'll enjoy your car even with an AT. The tC is the first car I've owned that's been an MT. So i'm not aginst buying AT cars... I just wanted a "sporty" feel, so i got an MT

If your out for perfomance alone, take notice of how many sports cars out there only come in MT. Ferarri, Lamborghini, ... etc... The Subaru Impreza WRX Sti only comes in MT - (6spd) ... its preferred for experienced drivers, and most all racers use MT's

However, i've read somewhere in a similar topic that people who put TONS of mods on their engine use automatics because the horsepower is too much for a typical MT to handle. ... that was like at 800 - 1000 horsepower though...

Read through Scionlife some more and you'll prolly get a better idea of why most stick with Manual.

and thats my two Cents...
Old 12-16-2004, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I love my manual, sorry you got an auto

quick, short and to the point

ok, seriously, the auto on the tC's not that bad, I test-drove the auto, three times (god I love my dealership, they're awesome) and I noticed you had waaay more control over the engine in the auto than you do in most auto's I've driven, like how you can prevent downshifts by not letting up on the throttle around turns, and that the vehicle can register when you're acceleratiing against a force (like a hill) etc, the auto tC is awesome, but the 5-speed is awesome-er

just don't do anything rash, like try and sell your car or trade it or whatever, you already paid $1000 for an auto, and it'd cost you about $3000 in depreciation if you got a stick - keep it and be happy, it's a lot better than most autos, not naming names here or anything (my rental 2003 dodge stratus) that shifts under full-throttle at 6k red-line in first and second when the max HP is at 5200rpms....

god forbid I don't live in an area when you get on a highway bumper to bumper or I think I'd really hate driving a stick, I feel like I'm making love popping the clutch so much in stop and go traffic.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member

Love the 5spd when its open road

When its bump to bump traffic, i want to set my car on fire! :D
Old 12-16-2004, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I am pleased with my AT in the tC. The control over the tranny is much better than any other AT i have ever owned. If you dont want it to shift it wont, unlike my eclipse where you hold it in second and it would shift to third anyway. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-16-2004, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

makes no diff to me when im in bumper to bumper traffic, small price to pay for the advantages and fun of an MT
Old 12-16-2004, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by blue ink tc
makes no diff to me when im in bumper to bumper traffic, small price to pay for the advantages and fun of an MT
5 day traffic, one (if lucky) day fun...not a small price to pay for me personally. I figure I'll get a MT when I can afford a weekend car.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got the automatic and I love it. Yes manual is more fun, but the tc automatic is one of the best i've driven. Okay...they're not supposed to be as fast, but I could probably beat %70 percent of the people that are driving this car in stick. Most people arn't as good at shifting as they think. My automatic hauls *****. Never misses gears or plays find it or grind it. An automatic assists your friends in driving your drunk ___ home when you've had too much to drink. Just my piece.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

There's nothing wrong with an AT, I didn't even consider the stick due to my commute. The only time I wish I had a stick is on a twisty country road, which accounts for probably less than 1% of my driving, and I can still enjoy that with the AT. Like some people have said, the toyota ATs are really nice, have advanced a long ways from many people's perception of an AT.

And as far as performance goes... Take a look at the Top Drag cars in the world, the ones with mad HP and single digit times and see how many AT there are.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

True about the drag cars but the autos on those cars are totally different than the ones on ours. Plus, i believe lamborghini also has an auto tranny that shifts faster than the manual tranny that was available in a diablo. I'd say that manuals are much better for economy cars when it comes to accerating faster IF the person is really a good driver and doesn't just think they are. Just because you can get it to start and go through the gears doesn't mean you can race. I would have to say that the autos aren't that much slower and are worth the convenience. My car is only a 5 month a year car so I can just take the beater if i know i'm going to be in traffic or anything else that requires an auto for full comfort. I wouldn't buy a manual if i didn't own an auto too.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Take a look at the Top Drag cars in the world, the ones with mad HP and single digit times and see how many AT there are.
There's a difference between tuned automatic transmissions versus a stock transmission. There's a point where a computer can shift faster then your feet and arm can, but we're talking about a stock manual tranny here.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the auto and i love it, too bad for u guys with the manual.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

There's also a difference between driver's and driving conditions. To make a blanket statement like Manual trannies are better doesn't apply to everyone. The sad part of it is, I see a lot of threads where people have bought a manual due to comments like the ones referenced here, when a AT would have suited them much better.

Driving a stick is second nature to me. I've driven all kinds of things, a one-cylinder tiller-steered horseless carriage, various on-the-tree setups, you name it. But not everyone is comfortable with a stick nor will many people benefit from some of the advantages that people say a stick has. There's trade-offs with both.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Auto vs. stick? Depends whats important to you... performance? fun to drive? get the 5 speed stick
easy to drive? resale value? get the automatic.

I had to get automatic because it was for me wife who at this time doesnt drive stick.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member

I have an auto. It's very responsive and a pleasure to drive.

My commute every day is pretty bad - 13 miles each way, usually between 40 and 45 minutes. I see some open road but it's usually a half mile of open road till the next stop light, where I'm in stop and go for 4 lights until I'm through.

If I had a freeway commute or one more like my last job - 10 miles, 20 minutes tops, never any stop and go - I would've given a manual some thought. But with my commute and the fact that I haven't driven a stick since I was a junior in high school, the automatic was the obvious choice.

I don't consider shifting in between 1st and 2nd gear for 60-70 minutes every day 'something to do while driving.' It'd be more along the lines of an annoying chore I do because I have to, like cutting the lawn :p
Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I test drove the Auto and loved it, very responsive, and quick to down shift when you want it to. But i learned to drive on a stick and to me its second nature. I drive in a good deal of stop-and-go traffic and i honestly dont even think about the clutch or shifting gears and the manual is definatly more fun to drive so thats why i bought MT. But the AT is great on this car PLUS it gets better fuel economy, at least thats what the numbers at the dealership said. Also you will never have to replace the clutch on a auto. Theres pros and cons to both, if your a pro you chose MT