Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Mazda 3s or Scion tC? Which would you buy and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member

Default Mazda 3s or Scion tC? Which would you buy and why?

I'm shopping for new cars to replace my '95 Eagle Talon and I've pretty much narrowed down my selection to two cars:

2005 Scion tC
2004/2005 Mazda 3s

Which would you buy and why?

I realize I'm posting on a SCION forum, but I've also posted on the Mazda forum... I'm just looking for some suggestions.

I've test driven both and the tC looks nicer from the outside, but I wasn't too impressed with the inside. However, I'm going to take a second test drive in both of them before I make a final decision...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member

oooo, thats a hard choice.

the mazda3 s is a nice car for the price, basically same price as the tC, but there is not that much aftermarket. theres springs, intake, exhaust, barely any headers, lucky as hell if you find one.

as for the tC, theres already many turbo kits being devloped., tons of header's and intakes, and exahusts.... and being toyotabased... its going to be WAY more reliable. especially since the tC engine has been out for a while, whereas the mazda3 s engine has not.

id go with the tC.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I actually almost bought a mazda3 on a couple of occasions before I bought my tC. I loved the car, but I didn't feel I was getting everything I wanted for the price. Although I love my tC, the mazda 3 is an awesome car. Oh yea, they also didn't have the color I wanted, which is why I didn't get it. The only color I liked on the mz3 was the "Winning Blue" and I couldn't find any...
Old 12-16-2004, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Hmm. How can you be stuck chosing between a 5-door wagon and a coupe? It all depends on what you need. As for the value for the money the cars are very close to each other, but they are built for different purposes. I'm single, with no plans for kids in the next 3-5 years, so I wanted a coupe. If I was married, or had a lot of stuff to haul around - then Mazda3. Or if I had 2 kids, I'd be driving an RT Magnum. Maybe. Maybe not.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member

well, theres 2 versions of the mazda3 s, theres the sedan which is a 4 door, and the wagon, the 5 door. both have same features, ones just a hatch, one isnt.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member

Ok, a little more information...

I won't be adding much to whatever car I buy, except for an in-dash LCD screen and a computer system (a small DIN-sized computer)...

I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton) and in the winter we often have quite a bit of snow; so, whichever car I buy needs to be at least decent in the snow.

I drive 60 miles per day, 5 days per week... sometimes it's a little more, it's almost never less.

Does that help at all?
Old 12-16-2004, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member

i can vouche for the mazda3 having TONS, i mean.. TONS of glove comartment space, you can literally fit a laptop in their, and still have room... but i would think the tC would make a much better show car, its more room in general, and definitely more trunk space, once again... id say go with the tC in the show catergory as well.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

What's with this rumor that the 3 is about the same price as the tC? They're not even close to the same price when comparably equipped -- the tC is a few thousand cheaper.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Funny you ask because a coworker of my GF just recently asked me that same thing.
Both are terrifc cars in their own right but it really depends on your place in life.

Here's some (pertinent to petty) questions to contemplate:

Are you going to need those extra two doors in the back and maybe the hatch if you opt for the wagon?

What's you budget because the TC comes with alot more standard then the 3 does and you might have to pay a little more to have options comparable to the TC. But then again you can deal with the dealership if you are good at haggling while the Scion is pure pricing.

Do you plan on keeping the car for it's life span because with a camry motor under the hood the TC wins hands down in this department.

Are u going to mod because the TC definitely has an aftermarket folllowing while the 3 will slowly come along.

Are you about looks because in most circles the TC wins with it pseudo Audi/ BMW/ G35 looks while the 3 has it's nice lines but not as appealing to the TC.

Either way......good luck in your decision and remember either way you go you pretty much have a winner.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC looks a lot better in my oppinion. The mazda looks very plain and typical. Again, just my oppinion. I actually considered the mazda 3, before I really knew what the scions were. Thank god I researched the tC. You really get your moneys worth.

Goodluck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by basilisk4
What's with this rumor that the 3 is about the same price as the tC? They're not even close to the same price when comparably equipped -- the tC is a few thousand cheaper.
Well, they are pretty close... The Mazda 3S with the same features is about $2000 more...
Old 12-16-2004, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No, not again. This question has been asked many times before and answered many times before. Do a search and you will find a ton of responses. But I will do again:

I test drove both. Both were good. tC is several thousand LESS. Stock H/U and speakers are MUCH better in the tC. So you will spend at least another $800 redoing the stock H/U/speakers in the Mazda 3. Both look sharp but the tC has more of an uniqueness (ie. all glass roof).

Don't think you could go wrong with either. I also think the tC, quality wise, would/will rate better since Toyota gets better marks than Mazda. Plus you know the price going in on the tC and don't have to haggle (unless you are one of the few that like to do such).

Good luck with your decision.

Kevin
Old 12-16-2004, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sofakng
Ok, a little more information...

I won't be adding much to whatever car I buy, except for an in-dash LCD screen and a computer system (a small DIN-sized computer)...

I live in Northeastern Pennsylvania (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton) and in the winter we often have quite a bit of snow; so, whichever car I buy needs to be at least decent in the snow.

I drive 60 miles per day, 5 days per week... sometimes it's a little more, it's almost never less.

Does that help at all?
Well I take it you want something heavier for the snow season so here's the curb weight of each:

2762lbs for the 3
2905lbs for the TC

As for the gas mileage here's a few specs with horsepower for good measure:

Mazda 3:
160 hp and 150 lb/ft
25/32 5-speed
24/29 Auto

Scion TC:
160 hp and 163 lb/ft
22/29 5-speed
23/30 Auto

And don't forget the warranty either. The 3 has a 4yr 50K mile while the TC has a 3yr 36K mile with extended drivetrain for 5yr60K. Both have 5 year unlimited miles on the corrosion
Old 12-16-2004, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If there was no tC, I'd be driving a Mazda 3 right now. Test drove both, spent a long time checking each one out, and it came down to:

tC was more fun to drive. lower end torque was quite noticeable. mazda 3 handled slightly better, but still felt like a minivan (on steroids).

tC's radio was better. 3s radio sucked, plus was integrated into the dash. huh?

tC was several thousands cheaper.

tC had stock the options I wanted, so I was able to walk in and pick up a bone-stock tC whereas all of the 3s I looked at had $3-4k worth of options already installed.

Mazda Sales guy was a COMPLETE DOUCHE. don't judge that your customers can't afford something by looking at them. know your competition ("well, this 3 will be a LOT different than that scion you were looking at, this has 160hp..."). offer a deal on 04s sitting in your lot if its Oct. and the 05s have been out for months.

In reality, the 3 probably would've been better for hauling stuff around, but the tC is VERY roomy with the back seats folded down. about 5 1/2 feet between liftgate and back of rear seats.

hope this helps, test drive each one a LOT and see what you think... take each one out for 1/2 hour or so, and see what they feel like. I liked the sportiness of the tC better, and that along with the stuff listed above is why I'm now driving a tC. the 3 was nice, though, and would definitely chose it over the corolla, matrix, focus, civic, neon, etc.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member

I was considering the Mazda 3 and the Scion tC. The tC won. It looks nicer (as you said), it costs less (not the same), and it has more standard features than the Mazda 3. For me, I compared hatchback against hatchback. The only thing that the Mazda 3 has over the tC is a telescoping steering wheel. The tC however has quite a bit more. Reclining rear seats, temp. display, knee airbag, double moonroof, mirror blinkers, and I forget what else... I think it has slightly more power too.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Driven both. The Mazda 3 with the exact same features will run you around 20k. The 3 handles nice, but the Tc is a way better buy for the buck. I beat the ____ out of both. Get the Tc. Yeah....FORD....Found On Road Dead.....ahhh..or...F'in Owners Real Dumb....which ever you perfer.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

realiablity and trade in make getting the tC the better decision.

Omer.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Funny, the Mazda 3 wagon was the closest thing to the xB when I was shopping. I test drove both, but prefer the xB over the 3, and prefer the tC over it as well.

I really like the tC's panoramic glass roof, the reclining rear seats, and the interior. It is also more powerful than the 3, and the seats are more comfortable.

I didn't like the big red screen that says hello when you start the car etc., or the interior. I did like the fact that stereo controls are on the steering wheel on all trim levels however.

The other big thing for me is that the Mazda 3 is a Ford in every way. Even though they are generally built in different plants and therefore have higher reliability than most Ford models, the engine and chassis are from Ford.

You can't beat Toyota reliability, or resale value. (Well, except with a Honda perhaps)

Considering the Mazda 3S with same options as the tC would cost more, I'd easily choose the tC.

GL
Old 12-17-2004, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member

TC. Way cheaper and way more options.

I personally would pick up a low mileage used TC.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Get the 3. Then there won't be as many tc's on the road :D

Quick Reply: Mazda 3s or Scion tC? Which would you buy and why?