Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

My Hatch Rattle is Fixed! for now...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My Hatch Rattle is Fixed! for now...

I'm so happy! I had this nasty rattle/squeak over bumps that annoyed the hell out of me. One day I had all my seats down and used my mirror to watch the rear hatch where it latches. I noticed it boouncing a good amount.

My dealer, suburban scion was just awesome, asking plenty of questions and even going on a ride with me! The ended up fixing the rattle, the rattle hasn't come back yet!

here is the dealer verbatim...

CUSTOMER STATES A RATTLE/SQUEEK FROM REAR HATCH OVER BUMPS.
LACK OF INSULATION BETWEEN PLASTIC PARTS AND THE METAL BODY PANEL. T2.8642991 T-1 91 T-2 41 RAODTEST CAR WITH CUSTOMER TO DETERMINE THE NOISE. NOISE WAS COMING FROM THE REAR OF TEH CAR. PUT THE CAR ON THE HOIST AND ADJUSTED THE HEATSHIELD FOR THE MUFFLER. REMOVED HATCH TRIM PANELS AND INSTALLED FELT TAPE TO CONTACT POINT. INSTALLED FOAM TAPE TO THE WIRING HARNESSES AND PLASTIC TIE DOWN POINTS. INSTALLED FOAM TAPE AROUND THE LIC PLATE. LUBED THE RUBBER STOPPERS AND HATCH SEAL. REINSTALLED ALL PANELS AND ROADTESTED AND THE NOISE IS NOW GONE.

and no hard ___ comments about caps, that is the way verbatims are meant to be ttyped!
Old 04-13-2005, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I'm getting all over that shiznit tommorrow. I only drive my tC in the summer and i never really noticed it last summa, that and the fact i listen to loud music 95% of tha time . But i was upgrading my audio today so i got to drive wiith no music and the car is pretty good for cabin noise minus that damn Hatch rattle! . 13k and it rattles like a 100k cars dash LMAO.

Glad ya got yours fixed, gonna do mine in the next day or 2!
Old 04-13-2005, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

actually, there is a Hatch Rattle TSB out for the TC where they put felt on the hatch connector to stop the noise, but sounds like they went above and beyond to fina ANYTHING wrong and fix whatever could've made the problem THEN tested it... some shops toss some felt here and there then drive it, if they don't here it, it's fixed... say you hear it two days later.... know what I mean?

sounds like you have a nice dealership! glad to hear your problem is solved, and it sounds like it's for good
Old 04-13-2005, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for sure, they were good people, had a nice little conversation with the tech in the car too! haha
Old 04-13-2005, 01:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's a TSB for the ratch and I haven't seen 9000 new threads made about it?
Old 04-13-2005, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Otocan
actually, there is a Hatch Rattle TSB out for the TC where they put felt on the hatch connector to stop the noise, but sounds like they went above and beyond to fina ANYTHING wrong and fix whatever could've made the problem THEN tested it... some shops toss some felt here and there then drive it, if they don't here it, it's fixed... say you hear it two days later.... know what I mean?

sounds like you have a nice dealership! glad to hear your problem is solved, and it sounds like it's for good
Do you have the TSB # for the hatch rattle?

Kevin
Old 04-13-2005, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope they fixed it. However, I doubt the felt tape on wiring harnesses was the answer as "THREAD" did this but rattle came back. I have also tried working with the stoppers and the rattle goes away for several days and then comes back. I am wondering if the "heat shield" is the real answer???

Please update this task a week or two from now to update us if rattle is still gone.

Thanks.

Kevin
Old 04-13-2005, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for sure, i have a really bumpy car ride every morning so, it will be a tru test.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TSB = ????? hehe
Old 04-13-2005, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would have no idea... maybe those numbers in my verbatim up there?
Old 04-13-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is no hatch rattle tsb. here is a list of all the tsb's: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56865
Old 04-13-2005, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will be nice if this problem can be fixed by what the service people did. It beats the solution about having to weld. This issue has had so many supposedly fixes.

Kevin
Old 04-17-2005, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I took my car into the dealership and mystically could not produce the rattle on Friday April 15th. The instant I got the car off the lot I heard the rattle. So basically I got really ____ed gutted the whole trank hatch area this weekend then drove for about an hour just thinking...I opened the passenger door closed it and heard...*insert suspense noise*...the rattle. Basically that was the end all saying it had to be the trunk hatch. I cut a peice of foam, tested it over night (daytime temp 65, nighttime temp is about 30). I just added a peaice of 1/4 inch foam to the plastic "guides" and that solved my rattle problem. I beleive the problem is that the trunk is all thin metal and expands and contracts (as well as body flex). Then I washed the car to make sure I still had a good seal on the trunk (because I added the foam etc). And it all turned out great!

Yeah to any tC enthusiast they'll notice the foam if the trunks open but otherwise if its closed youll never know. When I have more freetime I might devise a better way to do it with better materials, but for now I'm ok.

Figgered I would share my solution, so others could benefit till a TSB comes out.

Tim-O
Old 04-18-2005, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sizemore
I took my car into the dealership and mystically could not produce the rattle on Friday April 15th. The instant I got the car off the lot I heard the rattle. So basically I got really ____ed gutted the whole trank hatch area this weekend then drove for about an hour just thinking...I opened the passenger door closed it and heard...*insert suspense noise*...the rattle. Basically that was the end all saying it had to be the trunk hatch. I cut a peice of foam, tested it over night (daytime temp 65, nighttime temp is about 30). I just added a peaice of 1/4 inch foam to the plastic "guides" and that solved my rattle problem. I beleive the problem is that the trunk is all thin metal and expands and contracts (as well as body flex). Then I washed the car to make sure I still had a good seal on the trunk (because I added the foam etc). And it all turned out great!

Yeah to any tC enthusiast they'll notice the foam if the trunks open but otherwise if its closed youll never know. When I have more freetime I might devise a better way to do it with better materials, but for now I'm ok.

Figgered I would share my solution, so others could benefit till a TSB comes out.

Tim-O
Dude, where exactly did you apply the tape? Your words weren't very clear... Can you supply some photos? Appriciate it.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Search on this topic and you will find someone who did post pics.

First measure the piece on your car, explained later in this post.
Then go to home depot and buy some weather seal. It has one side that has adhesive on it.
Lift up your hatch, look on the car just above where the plastic for the tail lights are, there is a small plastic piece which coincides with the part on the hatch.
Put some foam weather seal on the part on the car or the hatch your choice. I like it on the car.
Done.

Good job!