Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

My TC had a near death experiance

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My TC had a near death experiance

First off it has been raining cats and dogs all day here in Beaumont, Tx(got to love Texas weather)

No body damage, no paint damage, actually no damage to the frame or anything else... Coming home tonight from picking up my little sister's I enter my neighborhood only to find out that the streets look like the Mississippi River and I start freaking out cause my car is lowered and I have a CAI. Well around North Circuit and Howell the water got very deep, about an inch to 2 inches from the bottom of my door, when I feel my car start to lurch violently like it's about to die, so I slam the clutch to the floor and start tapping the gas trying to keep her alive...but it doesn't last long and I see the RPM's drop to zero and all the warning lights come on. I try to resart it...nothing the gauge lights in the car dim when I turn the key to start the car. I'm ____ed and I feel 100% positive that I hydrolocked my TC. So after about 15-20 minutes of sitting there with my hazards on and flashing my brights at people trying to tell them the water is really deep over here don't come this way(you think the hazards would have said it all, but people in the West end are ____ing morons)
A guy from our neighborhood pulled up in his truck and asked if we needed a ride to our house, we where about a block away)So we get home I jump in my dad's jeep with my older sister and we go to where my car is still sitting with the hazards on. I jump out with the tow strap in hand(no shoes on and pants rolled up to my knees)hook the jeep and TC together with the strap and tell my sister to put the jeep in 4-wheel-drive-high and take it easy. When we get near my house I remeber that I drive a standard and you can roll start this b*t*h! (my foot was on the clutch out of habit) So I put it in first and dropped the clutch..sure enough she started. So now my TC is at home and I'm driving the Jeep cause the water was still very high when I left for work at 9. So my car is ok right now but I'm gonna check it better when it's not so rainy this weekend.

Sorry about the long post
Old 10-27-2006, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member

glad to hear all is well...

and your sig is the typical conversation i have with people on a daily basis.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

makes me happy the trd cai has some sort of water bypass to prevent hydrolocking
Old 10-27-2006, 11:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

keep us updated
Old 10-27-2006, 12:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

compression test ASAP!
Old 10-27-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you were worried that you were going to hydrolock your car, why did you clutch in and rev? Wouldn't you want to turn the car off immediately? Glad to hear it started again though.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know how you feel about that. I stay in Nederland and I had my tC parked in the street and when i look out side the house water is about half and inch from door of car car yesterday.

You have to just love Southeast Texas.

Hope the water didn't mess anything up on your car
Old 10-27-2006, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow look like we all got it... last night storms were horrible here in houston (i live s. of houston in pearland) but storms were intense all night long till about 330 sorry to hear bout the car good luck and i aglee that a comp test is in order and yes texas weather sucks *****
Old 10-27-2006, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by monkeysauce
If you were worried that you were going to hydrolock your car, why did you clutch in and rev? Wouldn't you want to turn the car off immediately? Glad to hear it started again though.
lol. so true.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be careful next time you start it... a Mazda3 came into our dealership a few weeks back.

Hydrolocked.

Hole in the block.

$3700 repair bill, not covered under warranty because driver drove through deep water (was covered by drivers insurance)
Old 10-27-2006, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
Originally Posted by monkeysauce
lol. so true.
I wasn't thinking, I didn't want it to die.

About how much does a compression test usually run?