Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Needing help with research paper.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Needing help with research paper.

Ok, i know this may not belong here, but....i am doing a research paper on why people customize cars, how much the average person may spend and how much labor/time goes into it. Also, what parts are usually the most sought after for a car (i.e. cold air intake, exhaust, turbo...etc) If you can please help me by leaving some information on your car that would be greatly appreciated. Also, let me know if you will allow me to use your screen name in my paper as a source of information.

Thank you all very much.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I spend many hours/days looking up things for my car and finding what's right for my budget and me. So far I've bought springs and for me, I like to do things on my own so when i got springs for my car, i did them myself and man they take a long time. My friend and I set out to do it and it took about about 8 hours with breaks here and there. Though both of us had no previous experience doing suspension work, or any car work at that. I would say probably the most sought after part would be springs or some variation of i/h/e. Umm, you welcome to use my screen name if you'd like though I'm pretty sure others will have better opinions then mine :D

Edit: BTW, good luck with your paper because i know those things are a b!tch!
Old 02-12-2007, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^Thank you
Old 02-12-2007, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

Well, not everyone does massive customization, but the reason for the modification i have made is to tailor my car to the way I like it. The tC is a sexy ride stock but u put some shinin wheels, drop it like its hot, and that juss makes it even better,

My Mods:
5% window tint(I LOVE IT)
HKS Hi Power Exhaust
Injen CAI
TWM Stage 2 Short Thro
Tein H Tech Lowering Spring
19" DR Drag wheels(black with chrome lip)
Two tone Seats
BD1000 Amplifier with 2 10" Alpine Type R Subwoofers

On the Way:
Alpine/Pioneer in Dash DVD
Possible Supercharger/Turbocharger if i can get a reasonable price

As for money and hours: I would say i have at least a couple thousand $$$$ in her already - and i have only had her for 3 months.

My car is my passion and i dont even want to think about how many hours i have put into her. Installs, Cleaning Waxing, Polishing, Perfecting..... too much...
Old 02-12-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

Not to mention the countless hours I spend on the the net buying those parts ^^^^^ DAMN YOU CREDIT CARD! you make it too easy for me to spend all my $$$$
Old 02-12-2007, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^lol well thank you too for your input. would you mind me using your screen name for my paper?
Old 02-12-2007, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

go ahead!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would say the major reason why most people decide to modify their cars is to express themselves. It is just another way for each person to personalize something that is theirs. As far as mods that I have done, it is lower springs, sway bar, and new rims/tires. I would say the first thing most modifiers seek are new rims/tires and lowering springs. Mostly cosmetic things are first, and then of course the forced induction part (which is more sought then acquired more times then not). I installed all of the parts myself, and I will guess most people would agree they will install them themselves, or at least want to. It derives a sense of pride and personal appreciation. Even though a car is an ever-depreciating item, people modify to make themselves feel better and more satisfied when driving. That is my opinion on the matters. You may use my s/n if you'd like as well. Good luck on your paper!

Chris
Old 02-12-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well at least in my case I like modding my care to set it appart from the croud and mainly because it helps me release tension as I consider it a hobby. Since I like to Auto - X even though i don't have had too much experience I tend to research the parts before buying them. If I can't afford a mod I'll usually wait until I save the money for it but I won't go for the cheap route since I think my mental peace is worth it. As for my mods:
-Hotchkis Sway and Strut Bars
-Injen CAI
-TRD Exhaust
-Toyo Proxes 4 225/45/17 on stockies

Future mods:
-Custom 2.5" exhaust with TRD Exhaust
-MMW Header
-TRD Shocks (sp.) / Hotchkis Springs
-wheels
-pullies
-racing seats

hope this helps! :D
Old 02-19-2007, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

THANK EVERYONE FOR THEIR INPUT!!!! I AM FINALLY DONE WITH THE ROUGH DRAFT, AND HAVE TO TURN IT IN IN 8 HOURS....NOT MUCH SLEEP FOR ME...