Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

New guy checking in...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member

Default New guy checking in...

Hey guys and gals... I'm a newb to the board, just checking in to start my "career" here. :D

Some things about me:

I'm a 24 year old SoCal resident, I live out here in Riverside County. I'm a deputy sheriff trainee. I love cars, I'm a big aviation enthusiast and a military history/tactics buff. Let's see, what else... I love to target shoot, and have many "toys" to play with. So yeah, shooting is one of my hobbies. I also airsoft when I have time to spare (don't even get started, you paintball people -airsoft is waaaay better.) ;)

Oh, and I also have a thing for short little brunettes, but I will also consider blondes ;) haha j/p

I'm a long time member of www.camaroz28.com. I used to be the proud owner of a 1994 Z28 Camaro, which in case you don't know about those cars; are powered by the same LT1 motor found in the 1992 to 1996 Corvettes. That car was a blast, what can I say. It was very lightly modded, (I'm talking just a tune, catback exhaust and cold air induction) and it was making about 300hp at the wheels. It ran a 13.6 at 104mph. Unfortunately, the previous owner raced it quite a bit, so it was plagued with problems. I sold it a couple years ago, although I still miss it anytime I hear the rumble of a muscle car. :oops:

After dealing with nothing but problems from that Z28, I knew I needed something that was trouble free. Toyota was exactly what the doctor ordered. I actually ended up buying a 1992 Tercel that fit the bill and ran like a champ. Puny, silly looking and slow, but it never let me down.

To keep this from being too long, that brings us up to last night... When I became the happy new owner of a 05 Scion tC in Silver Streak Mica. My first new new car. It had just been driven off the trailer when I took the keys. It's an automatic, with side curtain airbags. I also opted to get the newly released, more aggressive spoiler. I liked the looks, not TOO rice boyish, it's still tasteful. Gives the car a little bit of a kick. My friend David (gmeapush on here) actually sold me on the tC, he bought one 2 months ago in Indigo Ink Pearl. These are such fun, well built cars. And since it's a Toyota, you can't go wrong. You know it's going to be reliable.

Nice board. I can tell I'm going to enjoy my stay here.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Silver Streak tC
I'm a deputy sheriff trainee.
another one to write us tickets
Originally Posted by Silver Streak tC
To keep this from being too long,
those were the only 2 things i caught from skimming the post. way long.

welcome to the board. hope you enjoy your tc as much as i do. there is lots of great info on this board, hours and hours of worthless knowledge.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by putz
those were the only 2 things i caught from skimming the post. way long.
lol... Yeah, well I like to lay everything out in detail. ;)

Oh BTW, you might want to make sure you read this next part: :D

Deputies don't write many tickets, once in a blue moon they may. (Well, I am speaking for my county, this is how we operate.) Deputies are out looking for the big stuff. Not to pull people over and hassle them. We leave that to those city PD girls. :D We pull over cars with expired tags, tail lights out, busted windows, speeding or driving erratically; either looking for a more serious crime, or to find someone driving around that has warrants, etc. In a typical week, a deputy may pull 80 cars over, and write 0 tickets, but make 15 arrests on real criminals. Not some poor person that didn't want to drill a front license plate onto their sparking new Scion. ;)

So, as soon as we pull you over and find out that you are actually a fine, upstanding citizen, we kick you loose and tell you to fix your tail light. 5 seconds later you're back on the road.

(Don't get me wrong, if you're doing 110 on a city street and flying around corners in front of a deputy, he will be obligated to stop you, and in that type of severe case, you probably would be getting a ticket.) ;)

So yeah, anyway... Around here I'm used to getting all kinds of love from people when they hear I'm a deputy, and not a city cop or state trooper. Everyone loves deputies because you rarely find someone that's been ticketed by one.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member

Oh and hey, putz... How do you like those Silverstars? I am veeeeery impressed with the factory lighting it's nice and bright.

If those are putting out the kind of light I've seen from them in other cars, it must be insane :D
Old 11-28-2004, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

good choice! silve streak mica is the way to go
Old 11-28-2004, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We leave that to those city PD girls.
here is a dumb worthless question, do the different departments like to pull pranks on each other and talk smack to each other? kinda like super troopers, but not to that extent.
How do you like those Silverstars?
go to wally world right now and get a set of of high beams and a set of normal lights. i believe they are the 9005 and 9006, been a while since i bought them so i forgot. if you do a search, there should be plenty of threads with the bulb #s. they cost me about $80 for the 4 bulbs. the lights are dot approved, brightest legal bulbs made installation is 1 minute. after installing them, everything is brighter. you can see street signs from forever glowing like neon. the reflective stickers on the side of cop cars stand out even more too. :twisted: i definately reccomend them, cheap, easy, looks good. all in all a great mod.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

forgot to mention the brights...don't stare into them. they will cause severe retna burn.
hahahaha j/k
Old 11-28-2004, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member

I think I will get those bulbs! :D
Originally Posted by putz
here is a dumb worthless question, do the different departments like to pull pranks on each other and talk smack to each other? kinda like super troopers, but not to that extent.
We kinda have a little friendly competition and ribbing between departments. It's all in fun though, and it doesn't get serious at all. Every law enforcement officer that is out there is our brother or sister, and any of us would risk our lives to protect them. It doesn't get to the exaggerated level of Super Troopers of course, it's all very professional. We definitely don't play pranks on each other though, since we are in the very serious business of saving lives there is no room for that kind of immaturity. (Well, outside the squad room that is. :D Pranks are known to happen in the squad room of your station from time to time. But they will never leave that room.)

Anyway, we (county deputies) have the badge of honor that comes with working in the most dangerous position. We patrol a HUGE area, with less manpower. Our county reaches all the way from LA and Orange Counties to the Colorado River/Arizona border. 2500 deputies are employed, and about 1000 are out working at any given time in a county that is roughly the size of the Florida Panhandle. My county is bigger than the State of Vermont. I bet they have more state troopers than that. :D

So, that's one reason we jokingly call the city PD's around here "girls". They don't have to work spread so thin. They don't have to go on dangerous calls alone. They roll in on a shots fired call with 6 units, and if something happens, they get on the radio and 6 more can be there in about 45 seconds.

County deputies will go on a shots fired call with 1 unit, 2 if you're really lucky and backup happens to be nearby. If you get shot at, the nearest backup is going to be 15 minutes out, even responding Code 3 at 120mph. That's our typical situation.

We call the CHP (California Highway Patrol) something else. They are below city PDs. ;) We call them "AAA with a gun" because they don't respond to 911 calls dealing with violent situations. They don't go to shootings and murders, fights, rape calls, robberies... They write tickets, call the tow truck after an accident, and change tires for stranded motorists. Hence their nickname. :D

And yes, I know, I talk too much.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

welcome to the boards and congrats on the tC. Hope you like it here. Also hope you always have backup handy when you need it.