Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

New Year's Accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member

Default New Year's Accident

I was involved in an accident this New Year's Eve at around 10:30pm, it was on the 605 SB in Long Beach.

It happened so fast -- I was following my friend's tC in my tC, then all of a sudden he started braking for traffic; hard. I slammed my brakes and even turn on my e-lights to alert cars behind me, came to complete stop. My friend behind me in his RSX-S stopped too but knew of the dangers of the traffic behind him, so he pulled to the right. However the car behind him just plowed right into me.

I came out of my car and there was a fking tree on the freeway taking up the two right lane + right emergency lane and a two car collision.

Observing the scene, I noticed that the two car collision didn't have their e-lights on, there was no vision of the collision and I knew why my friend in front had to brake all of a sudden. There was also another 3 car collision ahead of the tree, and another 2 car collision behind my collision.

I was thankful that my friends didnt hit me or got hit.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

ouch! thank god everyone's okay! this wind has been outta control the last few days!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Ouch

Good to hear you are ok. Looking at those photos that could of been a lot worse. I am surprised the back bumper of the Tc took such a beating and came out ok. That Cavalier looks pretty messed up. Man, how in the world did a Eucalyptus tree end up on the 605 anyways? Thats a tough way to start the New Year but that is what insurance is for and you and your friends are still alive which is most important.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

That's messed up. I'm sorry about the situation and I'm glad you and your friends are ok!
Old 01-02-2007, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didnt somebody else get rear ended by a white cavalier a few days ago on SL?? ...damn white cavaliers

Glad you're alright though.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Wow, what a disaster. All of those accidents. My Lord. Great to hear everybody is OK.

BTW: BRAKE = stopping in a car
BREAK = something shattering on the floor
Old 01-02-2007, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Spect2K3
Wow, what a disaster. All of those accidents. My Lord. Great to hear everybody is OK.

BTW: BRAKE = stopping in a car
BREAK = something shattering on the floor
No, he said "breaking" which means: to break dance :D

Glad to hear you're ok. Sounds like a typical highway pile up.

So who pays since the tree was in the road?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I am pretty sure who ever collided with someone else pays for the damages. The Cavalier pays in this instance-he didn't pay enough attention, didn't leave enough space...etc. You are suppose to leave a cushion between you and the car in front of you. Unfortunately, he lives in Southern California where people's idea of a safe cushion is two car spaces going 70 mph. Most of the time folks get away with it but when something unexpected happens like a tree on the freeway crap happens. Driving in So Ca turns most people into that type of driver though. Folks get accustomed to tail gating like that because during traffic hours you pretty much have to do that so others won't cut you off abruptly and cause you to rear end them. Lame excuse for bad driving habits but that is LA. 13 years of driving in LA and the freeways only have gotten worse.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mcfly315
I am pretty sure who ever collided with someone else pays for the damages. The Cavalier pays in this instance-he didn't pay enough attention, didn't leave enough space...etc. You are suppose to leave a cushion between you and the car in front of you. Unfortunately, he lives in Southern California where people's idea of a safe cushion is two car spaces going 70 mph. Most of the time folks get away with it but when something unexpected happens like a tree on the freeway crap happens. Driving in So Ca turns most people into that type of driver though. Folks get accustomed to tail gating like that because during traffic hours you pretty much have to do that so others won't cut you off abruptly and cause you to rear end them. Lame excuse for bad driving habits but that is LA. 13 years of driving in LA and the freeways only have gotten worse.
This guy here knows what he's talking about.

Z
Old 01-02-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

atleast you're alright. but what happened to the rsx? you said it went to the right. i'm just curious.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The Family
SL Member

wow, i guess it could have been worse
Old 01-02-2007, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man, ur friend in the rsx was smart, cept that if it had hit him instead of u, the impact would've been greater.. Glad everyone was ok tho. Sorry to hear your new year had to start in such a way.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by chrischoi
atleast you're alright. but what happened to the rsx? you said it went to the right. i'm just curious.
The RSX pulled to the right emergency lane. I saw a beamer and another scion tC parked their, didn't know how they ended it up there; guess they avoided that accident too.

Thank you everyone for the feedback and comments, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:49 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zander416

Z
Florida's worse.

Glad everyone is okay though.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:49 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zander416

Z
Florida's worse.

Glad everyone is okay though.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HEY! i got rear ended today too, but it wasnt nearly as bad as that. My muffler just got knocked out of place cause he hit my exhaust pipe and the rear bumper is a bit scratched up, only about $400 of repairs.
Good news is it isnt my fault and he's gonna pay for all of it.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^was it by a cavalier???!!!

And... I think the city should/might pay for the damage since the cause of the accident(S) was umm.... a TREE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FREAKING FREEWAY...
Old 01-03-2007, 02:39 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah i think so too.. I had a tree fall on a car, and the insurance paid for it.

O well, later that night a homeless man cussed me out, threatened me, spat on my window and ripped my s2000 antenna off, mth fkr!! then he ran off on his electric wheelchair. Kinda funny.

Happy new year right?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

glad everyone is ok, and another truckload of chevys are off the road
Old 01-03-2007, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="TrueSlide"]^was it by a cavalier???!!!

haha nope the one that hit me was an old saturn....i don't remember what model though cause it wasnt labeled.