Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Odd "rotational" noise from front passenger side?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 PM

Default Odd "rotational" noise from front passenger side?

Hey, all. I'm very much an auto mechanic noob here so apologies for any incorrect terminology. I've lurked around these forums for a while and this is my first post.
I drive a 2007 Scion TC with an automatic transmission. Recently I replaced the drivers side CV axle without too much trouble. Not long after, I began to hear this odd noise that I can only really describe as a "rotational" noise coming from the front passengers side. As I get faster, it gets louder and vice versa.
I had a mechanic friend listen to it and he believes it's the axle bearing.
If this is the case, what would it take to replace it? One video I watched said that I'd need access to some equipment such as a press that I don't really have access to.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could be the wheel bearing.
Turn the streeing wheel to full lock (all the way one way until it locks.
Jack it up and shake the front wheels..it should be stiff and not move if there not problem.
If the wheel wobbles mostly its the wheel bearing.
There is also a growling noise it makes.

Not a hard job but you need a press.

The axles can also cause a noise without the wobble
Old 08-14-2017, 05:42 PM
SL Member

If it's a wheel bearing and you don't have a big 20 ton press and blocks just take the spindle off and take it and bearing to a machine shop and have them press it in. Probably want new wheel bearing seals at the same time.

Might check your brake dust shield. Sometimes they get bent when changing CV axles and the will rub the brake rotor and make a lot of noise.