opinions of modding an auto

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default opinions of modding an auto

Hi!

I would first like to say that I'm fairly new to this forum and I love it already !

and that...........

I got my Black Cherry Pearl tC quite recently, auto unfortunately. I just wanted to know if I should start modding this very stock tC. Since, its not manuel, I'm not sure if I should invest performance =(. Since I'm quite young ( 18 ), and still living off my parents, I doubt my parents are willing to trade in my auto for a manuel. They claim its more a family car (yea right), but I'm the only one that drives it. I'll be starting a part time job soon on my second semester of my freshman year in college, and i'll have a little bit of cash to spend and i was thinking of investing it into my tC.

Any suggestions if I should, or should not do anything to it until i actually get a stick tC? (or if i ever will get one)

Thanks in advance for any help !
Old 11-10-2005, 03:11 AM
Banned
SL Member

Bro I'm 17...going to High School and College, and work part time. I have a tc Flint Mica Manual all to my self, and I can only afford to make my car look fast but not really be fast Performance parts are waaaaay too expensive for me. I suggest doing light mods Their cool and their cheap as hell .
Old 11-10-2005, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It depends on if you want Show or Go.... i prefer Go becuase if you look good, i think you should have something to back it up with... you can't be all show and now go

but that's just my opinion
Old 11-10-2005, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i think.... instead of adding mods to the car... you should either finish paying off the car, or try to pay your parents back for the car.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

why do you say auto , unfortunatley ?

you should be thankful you have a car period especially if you didnt buy it.

Well since i got that off my chest, i indeed myself have an auto. If you want a little both show and go. I suggest you do this in the friendly matter.

1. remove Tc logo in the back
2. lowering springs (TRD's)
3. tint
4 Exhaust (cat-back if you got the xtra dinero)
5. Intake
6. Audio/video
7. Rims (just to add the cherry on the cake)
Old 11-10-2005, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have auto... and if the right money comes my way next week here comes turbo, so I can be show and go with some bite to back it up
Old 11-10-2005, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Same here, I'm thankful I got a car, even tho its auto.
So far I have tinit, sway bar, rims, navi hu, HID kit and planning on Inake Headers and Exhuast.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:16 AM
5 Year Member

modding an automatic is fine. for us "poorer" people,(hopefully that'll change for me tomorrow) a good combination of small performance and small appearance mods will slowly build up. just make a good plan of what you would like to do with your car and then put m(for mosquito-small) next to goals that cheap, easy, and accomplishable and then put an e(for elephant-LARGE) next to the larger goals that aren't so cheap, easy, accomplishable. do the mosquitos and build up to the elephants. (sorry if it seems childish-the e's and m's-but it really works...)oh and good luck man. have fun. and, be glad your parents actually bought u a car
Old 11-10-2005, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Putting money into a car shouldn't really be called "investment"...

If your goal is to make THE fastest Scion, then starting with an auto may not be the best way. If your goal is to make YOUR Scion faster, then there's several things you can do.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan
Putting money into a car shouldn't really be called "investment"...
Yes, it should be called a waste of money. This is what this car is to me. A black hole. Much like a girlfriend.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ haha,

Thanks for the responses, btw dont mistake, im very grateful i have a car. (maybe i should've left the "unfortunately" part out)

and very true (maybe i should've left out the investment part too), it is a waste of money , (good waste?)

I guess the some show and some go is where i'll start off! (thanks!)
Old 11-10-2005, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It's a waste of money, but what hobby isn't? No Girlfriend right now, the money goes into the car :D

I have an Auto too and I've done a bit of cosmetic work.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have both and she has a tC also. Guess who is having to pay for her Kaminari kit......DAMN WOMEN
Old 11-10-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^
my g.f too. she has a bsp tc. lol
Old 11-10-2005, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok.....so I have an auto to and it suprised me. I added the DC Sport Header, K&N Intake, and Custom Cat Back and it made things quite a bit more fun. I just recently purchased the ZPI stage 1 turbo kit along with there S pipe and Cat Back exhaust. So the first few mods I did are kind a waste but I do plan on re-selling them.

Just so everyone knows I am out in Iraq right now so most of the stuff I have isn't actually on the car yet but it will be by the beginning of Febuary. So expect quite a few pics about that time frame.

The guys over at ZPI will hook you up even if you want some small mods.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i thought only stage 0 ZPI turbo would work on a auto. At least thats what they told me !
Old 11-10-2005, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you want to increase in speed effectively follow these instructions to the T:

1) Cold Air Intake (Injen, K&N, any NON-ebay CAI)
2) Headers (Alphaworks, Megan, DC Sports, etc)
3) Exhaust (FULL CAT-BACK !!!, do NOT get the axleback exhaust because it has NO performance gains)

Handling:

1) TRD Rear Sway Bar
2) TRD Lowering Springs (you can get a great package deal on both from McGeorge....or something spelled similarly)

Show

1) Tinting....live cool, drive cool
2) Good Subwoofers, an Amp, and a custom speaker box
3) A new deck, perhaps one with a DVD player embedded??

Aiight,

I hope this helps you. I would stick to the order that was outlined, as each mod's respective effects build upon the previous mod (in each respective category)
Old 11-10-2005, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'd say put on the Hotchkis or DC Strut bar too.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I just want you to realize that you spelled Manual wrong. Since you did it twice I think it wasnt a mistype. Anyway, if I had an auto, I would not go all out with HP mod. The most I do is a new muffler. The rest will be more toward look and handling (ie. rims, tires, suspensions, strut bar, and accessories). Correct me if I am wrong, I think you have to spend a lot of money just to accelerate the same speed as a manual. Buy your self new rims and lower your ride!

PS. Does anyone know which one is faster an auto s/c tc (when they have one) vs stock manual tc?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by schwettynuts
I just want you to realize that you spelled Manual wrong. Since you did it twice I think it wasnt a mistype. Anyway, if I had an auto, I would not go all out with HP mod. The most I do is a new muffler. The rest will be more toward look and handling (ie. rims, tires, suspensions, strut bar, and accessories). Correct me if I am wrong, I think you have to spend a lot of money just to accelerate the same speed as a manual. Buy your self new rims and lower your ride!

PS. Does anyone know which one is faster an auto s/c tc (when they have one) vs stock manual tc?
Wow, do you really think there's that much difference between an auto and a manual that the supercharger couldn't make up the difference? C'mon, we're only talking about probably 5-8 percent more drivetrain loss on one vs the other. if the S/C is only adding 8% then yeah, but I think it gives a little more than that.

And the logic escapes me. If the Auto is so much of a dog, it seems like it would be MORE important to add some GO parts to try to bring it up. Again, it comes back to your goals. If you want to try and beat every tC you see, you've got some work to do. If you just want to increase the level of enjoyment in your own vehicle and you're not worried about competing to be the TOP tC, then there is no reason not to modify it to your liking.

Are you looking to be faster or to be the fastest?

Quick Reply: opinions of modding an auto