out of state to cali ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Default out of state to cali ?

Ok i have a question if i drive to California and i have any exhaust that is legal in my state., or some other mods that cops in my area really don't care about and never sited me about them... could a cop and Cali stop me and give me a fix it ticket ?

sorry if this is in the wrong section just something i been thinking about??

Thinkin gabout taking a cross country stip soon..
Old 01-20-2007, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

You will be safe as long as you’re running your Jersey plate.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

technically cali cops could site u if they wanted to because technically u need to obey all cali laws while u are here, even if ur just visiting. sux i know.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

damn that makes me not want to go into that state...
Old 01-20-2007, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

You should be fine. Just don't drive wreckless and he would have no legit reason to pull you over if your rocking NJ plates.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by Macavely
damn man, thats one hella of a roadtrip.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

thats why im flying :D

Cali here i come baby! (third week of march )
Old 01-20-2007, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

Originally Posted by tc-guy
Originally Posted by Macavely
damn man, thats one hella of a roadtrip.

yea i drive alot.. . i'm do around 2k miles a month... so a trip cross country would be real relaxing for me
Old 01-20-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm pretty sure they can't hassle you. In CT (where my car is registered and I have my license), the legal limit for window tints is darker than it is in NY. When in NY, they pulled me over for that and were hassling me until I gave him my license and he looked at my plates and realized.

Its understood that you can't pull over to te side of the road just before you enter a state and modify your car so its legal there. It just has to be legal in your home state.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^yes they can... u must obey all the laws of the state ur visiting
Old 01-20-2007, 10:43 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

but if you have a tint that's too dark according to Cali regs, they can't ticket you. They're not going to have yout ake off your tint, doesn't make since. Now if you talk about the whole lights must be on in inclement (bad) weather, then yeah they could probably ticket you for that.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^ I agree
Old 01-21-2007, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Technically yes, cops here can nail you for ANY violation if you have out-of-state tags, however, they won't hassle you unless your tag pops up in their system.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wouldnt sweat it. my friends with out of state plates never get fix-it tickets.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They can ticket you, but they won't because it's unenforceable.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:53 AM
SL Member

technically cali cops could site u if they wanted to because technically u need to obey all cali laws while u are here, even if ur just visiting. sux i know.
Originally Posted by keenoh
Originally Posted by 2fast4you
Technically yes, cops here can nail you for ANY violation if you have out-of-state tags, however, they won't hassle you unless your tag pops up in their system.
Originally Posted by Steve27

You guys need to go read a law book, Just one. Start somewhere at least before posting legal help on something that you obviously know nothing about. The last guy was on the right track.

If they wanted to write you up for anything that's not illegal in your state they are uneducated cops trying to hassle you. You are not expected to know the laws of the whole nation. That is completely ridiculous. Any lawyer would get that sitation dismissed (if the cop was stupid enough to write you one) being that you are unfamiliar with the area and it's laws. You will not and cannot change your vehicle parts on the go, while switching between states to conform to every states so called laws.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

Originally Posted by WonSlowTC
You guys need to go read a law book, Just one. Start somewhere at least before posting legal help on something that you obviously know nothing about. The last guy was on the right track.
I've read more than a few law books as part of my degree... thank you very much.

Allow me to share with you the first rule of law: ignorance of the law is not an excuse. You are expected to follow and obey the laws of California no matter what state you and your vehicle is licensed; driving in this state is a privilege, not a right, and the law will be enforced regardless of where you call home. It is YOUR responsibility to insure your vehicle meets our laws, and if you have any questions upon enter this state, California Highway Patrol offices are clearly marked with blue signs from the freeway. If your tint is too dark or on the front windows or windshield, you CAN be cited and ordered to remove your tint while you are in this state. If your exhaust is too loud or illegally modified, you CAN be cited and your vehicle CAN be impounded. If you do not pay your fines or make your court appearance, a warrant WILL be issued for your arrest and it WILL be reported to your state.

If you bother to read the California Vehicle Code, you will notice there is no such provision that states "these laws ONLY apply to licensed vehicles and drivers of the State of California". However, if you find it, let me know so I can show it to my former law professors.

Now, as I said earlier in this post: they won't hassle you unless your tag shows up in their system for another violation (speeding, DUI, etc).
Old 01-24-2007, 11:49 AM
SL Member

2fast read the second part of my post before elaborating on BS of what police CAN do. Of course they CAN write you up. They CAN write you a ticket for whatever they feel like actually.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by keenoh
Originally Posted by 2fast4you
Originally Posted by Steve27

If they wanted to write you up for anything that's not illegal in your state they are uneducated cops trying to hassle you.

You are not expected to know the laws of the whole nation.
That is completely ridiculous. Any lawyer would get that sitation dismissed (if the cop was stupid enough to write you one) being that you are unfamiliar with the area and it's laws. You will not and cannot change your vehicle parts on the go, while switching between states to conform to every states so called laws.
sorry there lady, ur kinda cute..... but really moronic. all everyone up there that u quoted is saying is yes they CAN ticket IF they wanted to NOT yes definately that they WILL ticket you. I don't know what part of cali ur in but cali cops aren't uneducated and are always trying to harass ppl. also cops aren't EXPECTED or required to know every states laws just the ones they work in (in this case cali), so if u got stuff thats illegal in cali they COULD ticket u. cops are jus ppl too and if we the public are not expected to know the laws of the nation how are they to? If anything it would be easier to ticket out of state ppl because its money in the bank. Most of staters would rather just mail in the bail amount for the ticket then to travel back to the state they got a ticket in to fight it. To show u how harassing cali cops are, once i got in an accident and i called the highway patrol to come out to the scene, when they got done writing the accident report, they wrote me a ticket for clear corners i had on my car. We're just putting it out there that u could potentially get a ticket if u drive thru here.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

2fast read the second part of my post before elaborating on BS of what police CAN do. Of course they CAN write you up. They CAN write you a ticket for whatever they feel like actually.
Perhaps you need to take a few law classes yourself, take some police training, or better yet, contact the California Highway Patrol if you need clarification. Their job is to enforce the laws of THIS state, not those of other states. It doesn't matter if it's legal somewhere else, if you car does not meet California law, they have the right and duty to ticket you... the law applies to EVERYONE in this state whether you are visiting or not.

Again, you are liable to insure your vehicle fits within the California Vehicle Code while visiting this state... I can't make that anymore clear for you people.