polarized glasses ... weird.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default polarized glasses ... weird.

This is kinda funny i think. I bought a brand new pair of polarized sun glasses last night. Today I was ready to drive my tc with my new glasses. Suddenly I see white spots all over my windows. I was so ____ed. I told my wife about it but she did not notice it. As it turned out, it was because of my polarized sun glasses. It makes you see stuff that your eyes cant see. I was ready to go to the dealership and complain. Has anyone notice what I was seeing?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i've noticed the circles on the rear window, but they are in a uniform pattern, so it is normal. plus lots of others have seen them too. is that what you mean, or were they randomly scattered or something?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

my friend wore polarized shades in my car too and he saw the dot also. So your not alone. :D
Old 05-29-2005, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In simplest terms, polarized sunglasses will only let in light that is coming straight at you, light arriving at different angles will be blocked, thus you see the white spots. If you have revos you will see this on the scion and on some windshields that having polarization applied to them will appear darker
(cadillacs). My father was a B-52 pilot and he told me that airforce issued sunglasses we not polarized, due to the fact that B-52 windshields were already polarized, thus avoiding the effect you are observing.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Yes, but you can only see it if you have polarized glasses.

Originally Posted by Kwiksilver
i've noticed the circles on the rear window, but they are in a uniform pattern, so it is normal. plus lots of others have seen them too. is that what you mean, or were they randomly scattered or something?
Old 05-29-2005, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i'm able to see them without any sunglasses or glasses of any kind on. weird. but only on the back window, but still weird.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the spots you see on the glass are tempering marks from when the glass was baked in the kiln to temper it. basicly the glass is lowered in a chiken wire basket hence the little circles are the area that cooled faster having no contact withth wire
In simplest terms, polarized sunglasses will only let in light that is coming straight at you, light aarriving at different angles will be blocked, thus you see the white spots
class dismissed
Old 05-29-2005, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by schwettynuts
Yes, but you can only see it if you have polarized glasses.

Originally Posted by Kwiksilver
I want xray vision glasses to see in uhmm....
Old 05-30-2005, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep, it's polarized. UV protection probably? I see a lot of newer cars have the same effects when I put my shades on.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by clear bra guy
the spots you see on the glass are tempering marks from when the glass was baked in the kiln to temper it. basicly the glass is lowered in a chiken wire basket hence the little circles are the area that cooled faster having no contact withth wire
In simplest terms, polarized sunglasses will only let in light that is coming straight at you, light aarriving at different angles will be blocked, thus you see the white spots
class dismissed
heeeeey nice picture
Old 05-30-2005, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Other than the white circles, do you guys recommend polarized glasses?
Old 05-30-2005, 06:02 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Back in the '60's when I was SCCA racing we NEVER wore polarized lenses because of the chance of having those abberations make us miss something important outside.

What you are seeing in the glass is mostly stresses, and in fact one way we used to look for sresses in optical materials was to put a polarizing sheet on both sides , shine light through the sandwich, and rotate the polarizers relative to each other. One could even find insipient cracks before they started...

As an example here are some polarimeters that use this technique:

polarimeters (.pdf - 736K)

(The 'polarimeters' we used back in the '60's and 70's were, uh, a lot more crude...)

What happens is the stresses in the glass 'twist' the polarization of the light coming through it, and when viewed through a polarizer (like the sunglasses) one gets to see the twist pattern caused by stress.

Putting a polarized sunglass lens in front of a light source, another in front of your eye, a sample between and rotating them you will see all sorts of effects - if the sample is something like a clear plastic you can bend, you can see how the stresses change.

In fact, here's a pic of a quick and dirty field polarimeter...

Old 05-31-2005, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive noticed the same things when I wear my polarized oakleys in the tC too... ^^^ nice maglight lol.