2005-2010 [ANT10]

Rattle Report

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rattle Report

After taking it into the dealer 5 times to get rattles fixed, the dealer now says that its not their responsability to fix rattles and refuses to work on the car anymore.

So now I'm consulting Lemon Law lawyers because they refuse to fix the car. This is crazy.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Technically they are right. Dealers will fix some rattles early in the car's life just to the customer remains happy with the car. But if you look in the waranty book under "what is not covered" it includes creeks and rattles.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that kinda blows, do they at least admit that there's rattles/creaks in your car? knocking on wood mine's been fine, but it definitely sounds like you've got a lemon, regardless of whether it's defined that way by law.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes they known it rattles. Anyone that drives/rides in it knows as they are very loud and annoying.

The car has tons of rattles, but the only one I want fixed is the LOUD annoying one from the rear. The console, doors, stereo and all that make plenty of noise that has developed since I got the car, but the loud annoying rattle since day one is not normal. A part is loose/broken/messed up and they can't seem to fix it.

Roof creaking has been getting worse. Now when I back my car up in the morning, it sounds like something is hitting the car its so loud. I use to get out to check to see if I backed into something, but now I just know that its the car making nasty noises. I feel bad for people who aren't use to it, because it cause them to jump.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Banned
SL Member

Nick my friends is doing the same thing, he is getting rid of it ASAP.....any one intrested?
Old 10-22-2004, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by florencescion
But if you look in the waranty book under "what is not covered" it includes creeks and rattles.
Wow, really? That doesn't seem right.

Hey Nick:
have you tried taking it to a different dealership? Or do you think they have you on record throughout the dealerships? I would think not since they are privately owned and opperated.

Just a suggestion.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got an appointment for the dealer across town. Didn't want to take it there as its a 45 minute drive, but if they try to fix it, that adds more backup to my lemon law case.

State lemon law says they have to try to fix the same problem 4 times. The closer dealer has already had the car many more times than that, but if another dealer tries and fixes the issues, then good, if not, then just more fuel to the case.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

jesus i feel bad for you. my tc has been rock solid. no rattling whatsoever.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow it's really that bad... I'd definately declare it a lemon.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i got 6k on mine and not easy on it eather think you got a lemon man hope things get better for you no noise roof pops once in a while nothing really annoying tho
Old 10-23-2004, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mine rattles too and i'm not happy, but it's not at the point where i'm going to go crazy. i really can't hear my rattles unless the music is down and i'm trying to listen for the rattles. keep calling scion and make sure they document your complaint.
i'm not too up to date about the lemon laws, but i thought it only pertained to issues that could make the use of the car hazardous. either way, will you keep us updated to your situation. thanks and good luck.

scion customer service # 1-866-707-2466
Old 10-23-2004, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by blackpearlTC
mine rattles too and i'm not happy, but it's not at the point where i'm going to go crazy. i really can't hear my rattles unless the music is down and i'm trying to listen for the rattles.
Ditto for my BCP with 4K miles :-(. I am going to have the rattles checked out when I take her in for her next oil change. -Jayme
Old 10-23-2004, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My friend use to make fun of me and say I got a cursed car, but now his is rattling, so he doesn't _____ anymore.

Monday is the last straw. If Scion corporate doesn't actually do something, then its time to actually do something.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dood im about to do the same thing. but mine isnt just for the rattles. they had to replace my tranny and after replacing it they forgot to put a plug in on the top of the tranny so it lost half the fulid...and they think its fine so they fixed the plug. now when i shift really hard into second or 3rd u can heard this loud knock like the tranny mount is super loose. 4 or more strikes on a dealership for the same problem and u can envoke the lemon law. now that i have to bring it back to fix this problem with the tranny mount this will be the 5th time in less than a month of having the car that it has to go back in. SUX TO BE ME
Old 10-25-2004, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just picked up my tC after having the moonroof rattle fixed (TSBNV010-04). Taking it off the lot it was great...3 miles down the road it started rattling again just as much as it had when I dropped it off.

From outside the car I can put just a bit of finger pressure on the driver side of the wind deflector and I can hear the rattle/clicking noise...the same happens when I put a bit of pressure at the front driver portion of the moonroof.

I am headed back on Thursday to ride w/ the technician and we'll see where it goes from there.

I realize that there are going to be some rattles on a car - even a new car - and that's OK. But this roof rattles more than what is acceptable. I just sold my 1996 Jetta w/ a Shine Real Street suspension kit that did not have rattles this bad.

I really hope that this gets fixed because I really love my tC...but I don't know if I can live w/ that rattle for ever.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is going in on WED and I want them to drive it for 5-10 miles before they say it is "OK". Also does the TSB actually cover a "RATTLE" or just the "POP" that cars are having :?: :?: I used to have the POP but now that has gone and I have the rattle.

Kevin
Old 10-25-2004, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GeminiTwin
Originally Posted by blackpearlTC
mine rattles too and i'm not happy, but it's not at the point where i'm going to go crazy. i really can't hear my rattles unless the music is down and i'm trying to listen for the rattles.
Ditto for my BCP with 4K miles :-(. I am going to have the rattles checked out when I take her in for her next oil change. -Jayme
Bummer. 1k so far, no rattles.

I am thinking about spraying this stuff called Quiet Car on the underbody. I've heard cars with it, and seen the dB measurements with cars with it on and most get around 10db of extra quietness! The problem is that it takes a lot of effort to get it on the car. But crap, I am going to have the car for 3-5 years, might as well be quiet years!
Old 10-26-2004, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm waiting to here back from Scion about when someone is supposed to be getting in touch with me from the regional office to look at my car, and get it fixed.

My car is at about 3,000 miles. The hatchback has been going nuts since day 1 and is just getting worse. The moonroof has been rattling for about a week now. Now I have this new rattle, almost a spring-like shaking sound, coming from my passenger door.

I swear it sounds like the car is going to fall apart. This is not cool, at all. I mean the little noise from the hatchback I started with was still annoying, but it was a $17,000 car base, so it's not the more sophisticated thing on the road.

But what's going on now.. I wouldn't even pay $500 for a used car that sounds like it.. ti really doesn't even sound safe, its uncomfortable and unnerving to drive.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn, I hope this doesn't become a problem with my tC! Rattles are the worst!
Old 10-26-2004, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I'll use my PocketPC tomorrow to see if I can record the sounds..

Quick Reply: Rattle Report