Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

To remote start, or not to remote start....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default To remote start, or not to remote start....

well... i'm basically getting an alarm with pager within a few days and this question has come up...

I was told that for remote start to work, the chip of the key must be placed in a box within the car...

This would ultimately make the security feature of the Scion Key worthless...

However with remote start, i wouldn't need to purhase a key from scion, being that i can merely make a copy at any key place and use it with no problems...

I tihnk the alarm i will be getting is Viper, and i definetely would like the convience of Remote start.. but at what cost?

I am hoping that i can be reassured aobut the safety of the alarm with remote start...

any insight?

Also

On an unrelated note, i was forced to swap out my HID's for another set because of a poor fit. I ended up with 8500K at the end of it all

I know that 8500K emits less light than my original kit, but being that the price was right, i gave it a shot..

I was suprised by how little of a loss it really is... With use, i still felt that it produced much more light that the stock bulbs...

I dunno... if it does ended up bothering me, the guy assured me he would replace them...
Old 08-10-2004, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Friend has a viper remote start in his TC. I have on in my truck. No problems. In the TC you'll have to run the bypass module, but you still have an alarm with an immobilizer. It will kill the starter/ignition if it goes off. Even if they had a copy of the key, they can't do anything.

Its an awesome mod if you have an auto. With the tCs subpar A/C system, it would be the first thing I would do if I had an auto.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member

I was just at Install Pros yesterday talking to them about a Compu-Star alarm with remote start and he said they have some special system that involves intercepting the ignition where they don't have to use anything from the key. I can't quite remember how it all worked, but he said that if I'd get a Viper alarm and auto start, that they'd have something different where they add in a box, and that people with the microchip keys were having problems with them because the key wouldn't work in colder weather...again it was a pretty complicated explanation. But I'd see if there's any Compustar dealers around you because he said their system that does that is the only one out there, cheaper, and a step above the rest. If you want, I could probably give you a # to Install Pros here if you want to hear about it more in depth, or you might be able to find a dealer through the compustar site.

http://www.compustar.org
Old 08-10-2004, 01:48 PM
Banned
SL Member

I have the pager system remote start and AC control on a City tuff that was put in at circut city...the best by far, had the viper..this has sooooo many more toys....cost 160.00 intsalled
Old 08-10-2004, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member

Well Viper is still on FM frequency and Compu-Star's on SSF (Spread Spectrum Frequency). It's used by the military and has better range and can go through more building materials such as metals, fluorescent lighting, concrete, etc.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess it depends on where you keep your car and where you live. IF I did NOT have a garage, I might consider it. Especially on those cold-___ winter morning here in Michigan.

Also nice in the summer if it's extremely hot out. Do whatever you like....it is YOUR car.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for all the insight. I definetely would like to get remote start, but i was worried i would be sacraficing security...

I've decided on going the Auto AC and remotestart unit with pager...

but Cybergypsy, how well does the auto AC work and would it void warranty?

I didnt even know you could control AC with the remote sweet!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by SimplyJustHen
Ahem. Just turn the AC on before you leave the car. Then when you turn the car on, guess what also turns on?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

quote]Ahem. Just turn the AC on before you leave the car. Then when you turn the car on, guess what also turns on?[/quote]

i knew i could do that...

but controlling it is more ... interesting i guess

I just never knew it could be adjusted via remote... so on those very hot days, ill be ready
Old 08-10-2004, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Remote start

I have remote start on my XB and I love it. I installed a Viper, so it was installed on top of my Scion alarm. As far as security is concern, when your car is running without the key, anyone who enters your car and steps on the brake will automatically shut off the engine. This way no one can drive off with your car when u turn it on remotely.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't lose your security.
The bypass modules are activated by a relay that sends the transpoder signal to the ignition when you remote start it. Unless you tried to remote start it and acyivate the bypass module the oem security is still fully functional.

These types of systems have been used for years now in GM, Ford, Dodge, Honda, Mitsubishi, Toyota etc
Old 08-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by SimplyJustHen
Thanks for all the insight. I definetely would like to get remote start, but i was worried i would be sacraficing security...

I've decided on going the Auto AC and remotestart unit with pager...

but Cybergypsy, how well does the auto AC work and would it void warranty?

the pager even gives the inside temp...the instr. tells you everything ;0 no void here...just wish the AC was better in the XA
Old 08-12-2004, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

welp... just an update.. I ended up getting a Prestige Alarm with pager function..

Maybe i just want some reinforcement, but i was told that the alarm sucks after i had it installed...

Any experience with Prestige?

So far im liking the alarm even though the range isn't up to par with viper (1400 ft)

It displayes the temperature as well and seems to be very reliable...

Only thing is that the only key that could fit in the alarm was the Valet key....

so now im still carrying the giant scion key in addition to the pager....
Old 08-12-2004, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Prestige = Audiovox. It's not terrible, better than most Crime Stopper and Autopage and Black Widow systems, reliability-wise, but it's not anywhere near DEI quality.

You get what you pay for.