Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Resolved:Is my dealership jerking me around? (Enkei package)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Resolved:Is my dealership jerking me around? (Enkei package)

I was searching around last night (google, scionlife, etc.) trying to find the specifications of my tires. I own the Enkei EMX Super 7 wheel package and didn't feel like going outside in the cold weather and half-way down my block to check. So I found that this package is supposed to come with Pirelli PZero Nero tires. As soon as I saw this, I knew there was a problem. I checked my tires and they put Toyo Proxes4 Z rated tires with the same exact specs as the Pirellis. BUT there is a huge price difference.

So I called my dealership a few times today and what I was told that the dealership will not equip cars with these tires because they had issues with catching on fire and the tires have been discontinued as part of the wheel package. After hanging up with him, I call Scion Corporate and spoke with a rep. He told me that the Pirellis in question do come with the tire package and have not been discontinued. He filed my complaint and stated that I should be called tomorrow by someone there.

So I called the dealership again and explained to them what was told to me. I had the man in the parts department confirm that the Pirellis do come with the package, but the service side of the dealership denies this.

When I came home from work, I called again as they requested I do and read them the exact description of the package from the www.scion.com website. Which I did. So the man asked if I was looking for the money between the difference of the tires (I've had the Toyos on for 9 months and only realized this last night when I checked in to it). I told him that initially I was thinking about doing that, but I would rather have the tires. He told me that it would be extremely difficult to find 9 month old Pirellis. I concurred but said I should get the new tires because they made a mistake by not equipping my wheels with the right tires. It's not my fault, it's theirs. The man stated that they did not make a mistake as they are allowed to replace said tires with other tires that are rated the same and stated that if we're going down this path then we should just end this conversation.

So tomorrow, I plan on speaking with the general manager of the dealership and I'm looking for some advice here.

Is the dealership jerking me around? Are they lying to me about their ability to replace tires with other tires rated the same? Are they lying to me about the Pirellis being discontinued and no longer available in the package? Should they be responsible for providing me with new tires? Should they only be responsible for the difference in price between the tires?

I know this is a lot to read but any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

If you got the Toyo Proxes 4 Z rated then you got a good deal since they are equal or better than the pirellis just my opinion!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

But the Toyo Proxes 4 are much, much cheaper than the Pirellis and I paid for the Pirellis...

EDIT: And shouldn't the dealer honor what is on the Scion.com website? They have every other time I've asked them to do so except now. Shouldn't they have checked with me first before they decided to equip them with Toyos?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Is my dealership jerking me around? (Enkei EMX tire pack

Originally Posted by Stone163
The man stated that they did not make a mistake as they are allowed to replace said tires with other tires that are rated the same and stated that if we're going down this path then we should just end this conversation.
I'm guessing they won't do anything for you, and they'll stick with saying it's their right to substitute other tires. However, when they do so, they need to tell the customer they're doing it at the time of purchase. If they didn't tell you or give you anything stating what tires they installed, then I think you're right to be upset.

If I go down to Discount Tire and buy a set of BFGs, then find they put on Kumho instead and didn't even inform me, that would definitely be jerking the customer around. Why should it be different at a Scion dealership?
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you have a better deal man... mine came with Pirelli and it sucks! Remember there are many types of Pirelli Pzero tires.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pinoy_tC
I think you have a better deal man... mine came with Pirelli and it sucks! Remember there are many types of Pirelli Pzero tires.
But what about the huge difference in cost between the Toyos and the Pirellis Pzero Nero tires? We're talking a few hundred bucks here.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Is my dealership jerking me around? (Enkei EMX tire pack

Originally Posted by nodsetse
I'm guessing they won't do anything for you, and they'll stick with saying it's their right to substitute other tires. However, when they do so, they need to tell the customer they're doing it at the time of purchase. If they didn't tell you or give you anything stating what tires they installed, then I think you're right to be upset.

If I go down to Discount Tire and buy a set of BFGs, then find they put on Kumho instead and didn't even inform me, that would definitely be jerking the customer around. Why should it be different at a Scion dealership?
They did not tell me ahead of time or even after they put them on. I feel like I'm being cheated out of a few hundred bucks.

It's not any different than your example other than the fact that my dealership is claiming that the Pirellis do not come with the package and have been discontinued, even though the scion.com website clearly states that Pirellis come with it.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I say just get the difference in price back. Toyo is a good tire, the same if not better then pirelli. I say just get your money back because trying to get tires with the same wear would be a real pain in the rear and its not like there going to give you brand new tires because you realized 9 months later that what you have isnt the right tire. It really sucks I know but theres nothing else you can do.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gothemi8
its not like there going to give you brand new tires because you realized 9 months later that what you have isnt the right tire.
Why not? It was their mistake and not mine.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it seems to me that you have your mind set on what you're going to fight for so there is no advice to give.. so gluck to you man.... but i seriously doubt that they will do anything for you.. imo
Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Especially not because it has been 9 months
Old 01-12-2007, 12:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have my mind set on getting the new tires. I figure if I'm gonna swing a bat, I might as well go for the home run. If I only come up with a double, that'll do.

What I'm ultimately trying to find out is if my dealership is lying to me and keeping me for a fool?

I will take the monetary compensation between the difference in tires and a nice, big apology if that's all I can get.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

But what about the huge difference in cost between the Toyos and the Pirellis Pzero Nero tires? We're talking a few hundred bucks here.
Have you checked the prices on the regular yokohomas for the regular tCs? They're extremely expensive for tires that don't perform well at all. I'm just saying price is not everything. If I was in your place, 9 months into it, I would be happy that they're even willing to pay the price difference. But hey, if you have a chance of getting a set of brand new pirellis, go for it.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by theblue
Have you checked the prices on the regular yokohomas for the regular tCs? They're extremely expensive for tires that don't perform well at all. I'm just saying price is not everything. If I was in your place, 9 months into it, I would be happy that they're even willing to pay the price difference. But hey, if you have a chance of getting a set of brand new pirellis, go for it.
My stock rims have Bridgestone Potenzas on them not yokohomas....and I understand that price is not everything and does not determine the quality of the tire. However, if I paid for a more expensive tire than what they supplied, I at least should be compensated monetarily for the difference, right? This is if they're not going to give me the new Pirellis.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, I would shoot for the money difference and keep your tires. Like others said, you're lucky they're even mentioning it. The dealer DOES have a right to substitute your tires and I'm sure it shows on your paperwork that they were if you look it over. Yes, the paperwork that you signed... I'd take a look at your copies if I were you.

Honestly the tires you have now are nicer tires, and you have used them for 9 months. You're not going to get a new pair of tires, nor should you be entitled to them, honestly. Same thing if you return a car outright. You USED this product for X amount of time and are liable for the wear and mileage for that time you used them. True it's their fault for switching tires and not telling you, but unfortunately it's also somewhat your fault for not catching it sooner...

Buyer beware

On the flipside if you CAN get the new tires, rock on! If that's what you're set on shooting for, then go above the dealership if you have to. If you shake the right person's cage they'll give you whatever you want just to get you to go away pretty much. Same thing with any retail establishment.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Runawayrogue
Honestly, I would shoot for the money difference and keep your tires. Like others said, you're lucky they're even mentioning it. The dealer DOES have a right to substitute your tires and I'm sure it shows on your paperwork that they were if you look it over. Yes, the paperwork that you signed... I'd take a look at your copies if I were you.
They had a mix up with the tire package I had asked for and initially told me they were on back order. After three months of waiting for them, I went into the parts department and found they could have them in by the end of the week. My sales rep thought I wanted the TRD tire package not the Enkei. On my order, it clearly stated that I wanted the Enkei package. They apologized and called me later that week.

I brought in my car, they took off the old wheels and slapped on the new ones. I never signed any paperwork when they put on the new wheels.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I will say just get money difference between them b/c even they made a mistake by putting wrong tires, not realizing it for 9months is your fault also, you never cleaned your rims or even rotate your tires? or just let them finding 9month old pirelli and putting on your rims b/c you never got any disavantage from your toyo I guess. I mean like you never got into accident or something like that because of the tires' performance. So just get used ones and forget about it.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get your $$$ back and RUN! Do not go back to that particular Scion dealership. Scion Corp. will now investigate your complaint against that dealership. You're probably not the 1st person that they have tried to screw over. (That's what it sounds like IMHO.) And they should give you the Pirellis. What's $600 out of their pockets? Not much if they are a LEGITIMATE car selling dealership.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by riboflavin
I will say just get money difference between them b/c even they made a mistake by putting wrong tires, not realizing it for 9months is your fault also, you never cleaned your rims or even rotate your tires? or just let them finding 9month old pirelli and putting on your rims b/c you never got any disavantage from your toyo I guess. I mean like you never got into accident or something like that because of the tires' performance. So just get used ones and forget about it.
Ultimately, I think they will tell me that it is too late and my own fault for not checking the tires before I drove it off the lot.

I have cleaned my rims and rotated my wheels quite frequently, but like I said before, I never knew I should have gotten the Pirellis until last night when I was searching for the specs.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
Get your $$$ back and RUN! Do not go back to that particular Scion dealership. Scion Corp. will now investigate your complaint against that dealership. You're probably not the 1st person that they have tried to screw over. (That's what it sounds like IMHO.) And they should give you the Pirellis. What's $600 out of their pockets? Not much if they are a LEGITIMATE car selling dealership.
I'm going to see what they can offer me tomorrow when I speak with the general manager. He's resolved all my other problems to my satisfaction without incident. If it's just reimbursement for the price difference, I'll take it. If it's nothing, then hopefully corporate will handle it. If no resolution there, then maybe the better business bureau...

Either way, I'm seriously considering never taking my car there again.

Quick Reply: Resolved:Is my dealership jerking me around? (Enkei package)