2005-2010 [ANT10]

Are Scions Crap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Are Scions Crap?

Ok, first off, I love Toyotas. I have a Pontiac Grand Am right now and it has given me nothing but trouble. So I went out and bought a Scion tC, so i wont have to worry about problems with my car(im a college student and cant afford it). My parents have always owned Toyotas, and have never had problems with them. So i just assumed the tC was a high quality product as well. However, ive been reading these fourms, and it seems everyone is having problems. Windows, Rattling, Tranny problems, Buttons getting stuck on the center console, noises from the airbox, and even wierd noises from the MT. I ordered a manual transmission 2006 tC just yesterday. Is it really that bad, or just isolated problems? Thanks.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The tC is like any other new car that comes out... It is going to have its problems, hopefully all minor... but its inevitable. Its a good car with fewer problems than most... I have had my tC for a year and I haven't felt any kind of regret.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

every car has some problems even toyotas. mine has not given me any problems personally.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't buy a scion then.

End of discussion.

But yes, isolated problems and/or people now knowing how the car works.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a first year car always have problems. but the problems with the tc is very minor, and are usually dealed-fixed like rattles.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rivulent
Don't buy a scion then.

End of discussion.

But yes, isolated problems and/or people now knowing how the car works.

Listen...I was asking a simple question. If you want to get all rude about it, dont reply!
Old 06-28-2005, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, for every one member here that posts a problem with their car, there are countless others who don't have that problem. No one has ever posted here that their windows still work or that their sunroof didn't shatter.
Any forum will make a car seem negative, since it's human nature to dwell on the more unique bad experiences than to discuss the more common good ones...
This is the 4th Toyota-brand car my family has had in my lifetime (81 Celica, 94 Camry, 2000 ES300, and 2006 tC). My father saw my tC when my parents came up to visit last weekend, and immediately said that it seemed as nice and well put together as his Lexus (except for the leather), so for the money, you can hardly go wrong...
Old 06-28-2005, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

yes they're crap, stay away from scions
Old 06-28-2005, 10:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is a very good point. Thank you for all of your replies.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It also turns out that new model Scion buyers expect a WHOLE lot more from their cars than most people.
When Scions came out, the initial JD Power (peoples poll) rated them kind of low. But that was because the survey includes questions like, "How does your car rate on power?" While lacking in power comparatively, the Scion (XB in this case) gets around just fine. On ramps and passing are no problem. There's also the armrest and air conditioning issues that were addressed later.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

yeah,.... 6000 miles and not even the slightest problem...
Old 06-28-2005, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure you'll get a really unbiased opinion on a scion internet board.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member

Default tC Scion owner!!!

I'm proud to say that i'm a tC owner....silver, got it on Sept 21 2004 .... 15000 miles so far....the car is amazing, and I can only say good things about it,I have NO noyse from any windows nor hatch, mine is an automatic transmision. With 13gal I run about 400miles on hgway/ 300 miles in city. I do enjoy my mini iPod and XM radio add it to sound system. I'm glad i choosed the tC over the Altima or Accord, for 17k it's a sweet deal.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

30,000 miles so far. I have the following problems:

Hatch rattle when going over rough roads.
That little cover for the radio squeaks.
The Moonroof creaks going over speed bumps.

That's my car. Yours may vary. If you have questions, just ask.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: Are Scions Crap?

Originally Posted by dano9258
Ok, first off, I love Toyotas. I have a Pontiac Grand Am right now and it has given me nothing but trouble. So I went out and bought a Scion tC, so i wont have to worry about problems with my car(im a college student and cant afford it). My parents have always owned Toyotas, and have never had problems with them. So i just assumed the tC was a high quality product as well. However, ive been reading these fourms, and it seems everyone is having problems. Windows, Rattling, Tranny problems, Buttons getting stuck on the center console, noises from the airbox, and even wierd noises from the MT. I ordered a manual transmission 2006 tC just yesterday. Is it really that bad, or just isolated problems? Thanks.
You are reading a lot into a very small percentage of owners. I have never heard any complaints about the windows (except from those who do not read the manual on resetting them). The sunroof is questionable and may have issues on some cars.. but that is being researched and will be recalled if there is an issue. I have heard about 5 tranny complaints, two of them MAYBE sounded like a real issue. The others sounded more like people getting used to an auto. Some have had rattles. Never heard of buttons getting stuck, and cant see how they could after taking it apart and looking at it unless someone spilled something in them. The airbox noise is coming from the throttle body. It is part of the design and is covered in a ton of posts on here. Sounds good to most people. I have never heard a weird noise from the tranny.

Now, my tC. I hear an occassional rattle from the arm that holds the wind defletor, but only if I slam the door too hard, never while driving. That is my huge list of issues. I have put 18000 miles on it, with a bunch of 9 hour + road trips. Having a mechanic for a father, worked on my own cars my whole life and an engineering degree makes me pretty picky about design, and I can say that I am impressed overall.

You have to realize that there are literally thousands of users on here, with maybe a fraction of a percent complaining about issues. A lot of those (such as the airbox "issue" ) have nothing to them when you look into it.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you did good by getting the '06 model. All those anomolies should be worked out by now. I've had no problem siwth mine, but I've only had it since March. I just started getting the moon roof creek but only after installing springs and sways. I would have waited for the '06 (volume **** and steering wheel controls!) if it came out sooner. My no-air-having integra was killin me in this Vegas heat!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I think they have addressed most issues on the 05s.. but I dont have them.. The steering wheel controls are cool... if you plan on never going with an aftermarket deck, in which case you will have non functioning buttons on the wheel. I still am not bothered about not having a volume ****.. the last stereo I had with one was made in 1985 But I do reccommend the car, I love 05
Old 06-29-2005, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most of the issues I've seen brought up in here are either minor problems that have fixes underway by the company, or non- problems like the ridiculous whining that some owners do about the intake sound coming from the engine.
You want to experience real crap cars, go buy a late model VW. I'll tell you, you'll be pulling your hair out because of the real major problems you'll encounter with those cars pretty quickly. I owned one and it completely died in the middle of a dangerous dark area of a freeway at 11:00 PM, while going 70 MPH. I barely got it to the shoulder without getting killed by speeding cars around me. THE ODOMETER READ A MEASLY 223 MILES WHEN IT HAPPENED! ONE WEEK OLD! The ECU totally fried itself out with no option of any limp modes, my then brand new Passat had to take a 30 mile ride on a flatbed truck back to the dealerships. AND THAT WAS JUST THE FIRST PROBLEM WITH THE CAR! It was one after another breakdown after that for the next seven years till I can get enough money together to replace it. And this relibility problem with VWs goes through the whole model spectrum of that company. Just visit some of the VW sites.
NOW THAT'S CRAP!!!!!!
The Scion TC that I now have is 1 millin times better than any crappy VW, as far as I'm concerned!! JMO!!

Still mad at VW!!! - Chombi!
Old 06-29-2005, 12:17 AM
5 Year Member

Ive only had my car for a month, but I couldn't be happier with it. I experienced a rattleing noise from the hatch, but it turned out to be the license plate holder. Think of all the scion owners, there are some people on here that own more than one scion, would people keep buying them if they were crap?
Old 06-29-2005, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

VW sucks man, most european cars sucks wit their electrical problem, if i can pull out this high school report i did, european, especially VW, has the highest rating for electrical problem, sorry to hear about that Chombi,

but n e way, GM sucks also, in my thoughts about GM, it's a company that is a total failure, and inorder to surivive, they buy out other companies, and live off their profit for a bit, while doing that, they screw up the quality of those cars. therefore toyota is here to save their asses

but anyway, about scions, yeah they are fairly new car, i am not sure when have they been out, but maybe 3 years ago? can't rmemeber, is when i first heard about them, that's 3 years man, a begining of a new car company. It is bound to have some bugs

life is all about risks, you can give it a try, if not sell the car. Depreciation of japanese car are close to nothing for the first year.

Quick Reply: Are Scions Crap?