Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Should I fight it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Unfortunately I don't think you have a chance of winning this ticket. In traffic court, you're guilty until proven innocent, and it's the cop's word against yours. The cop ALWAYS wins. Period.

Your best bet is to file for as many continuances as you can, and hope the cop doesn't show up. At the very least it'll ____ him off, because cops tend to schedule all their cases at once and filing for a continuance will mess that up.

If he does show up, don't fight it, but ask for a deal; I got the option to take traffic school in exchange for not getting any points on my record. Still had to pay the ticket though.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by SeanJohn
From reading the OP, I feel the cop did everything right.

So i would just pay the ticket.

You said you where doing 60 in a 55. Thats still speeding

You admitted to that you where tailgating, doesn't matter how long.

And you had a bright idea to pass a state trooper.

In all man up, pay the ticket and learn a lesson.

I'm currently in the police academy, and from what you told us here, I would of gave you a speeding ticket as well.
no i agree. i am still going to try and see if i can settle something. the reason i would like to fight it is because of this

§ 20‑146. Drive on right side of highway; exceptions.

(a) Upon all highways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the highway except as follows:

(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

which i had just over taken a vehicle and was now in the left hand lane. there was no one next to the officer so he should have been in the right hand lane.

am i wrong to bring this up if i try and fight it? it is state law.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by maggock
Your best bet is to file for as many continuances as you can, and hope the cop doesn't show up. At the very least it'll ____ him off, because cops tend to schedule all their cases at once and filing for a continuance will mess that up.
Just that the OP knows it doesn't always work.

most courts will continue the case to the officers next court date.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by NYNCTC

no i agree. i am still going to try and see if i can settle something. the reason i would like to fight it is because of this

§ 20‑146. Drive on right side of highway; exceptions.

(a) Upon all highways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the highway except as follows:

(1) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

which i had just over taken a vehicle and was now in the left hand lane. there was no one next to the officer so he should have been in the right hand lane.

am i wrong to bring this up if i try and fight it? it is state law.
You can, but i don't think it would matter.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I cannot believe anyone is trying to justify this ticket.

You were speeding, you were tailgating ( A COP OF ALL PEOPLE!!), then you choose to pass the cop ON THE RIGHT. And you're confused as to why he gave you a ticket.

Do the rest of us a favor...

Find a hammer.

And hit yourself in the face with it.

Maybe it will knock something right. He didn't cite you for speeding. He basically let you off for that one and gave you a ciatation for the lesser of the three moving violations you committed in less than 45 seconds.

BTW, a police cruisers speedometer is certified and calibrated to a very high degree of accuracy. So much so that it is recognized as viable grounds for writing a ticket. Hence the term a "pace clock".
Old 01-14-2009, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

there is no need to personally attack the op^^

but seriously, op, what were u thinking?!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:39 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

The only way you get this dismissed is if the officer doesn't appear in court. You admitted that you were tailgaiting him and speeding. Why on Earth would you even do this around a State Trooper? They are really bad about enforcing the law.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i say pay it and consider it a lesson learned. when you lose the fight in court you'll have to pay more money, so take the safer bet.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ur gonna watse all that time just to fight something?

he could have gotten you for speeding and also passing on the right. why would you pass a state trooper anyways? especially when your speeding?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by SeanJohn
From reading the OP, I feel the cop did everything right.

So i would just pay the ticket.

You said you where doing 60 in a 55. Thats still speeding

You admitted to that you where tailgating, doesn't matter how long.

And you had a bright idea to pass a state trooper.

In all man up, pay the ticket and learn a lesson.
very well put, i couldnt have said it better.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol...... there's a reason why everyone slows down when they see a cop car
Old 01-14-2009, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Fresh Crew
SL Member

wow way to personally attack me, but i understand. no need to be an ___, just a simple no you wont win, would have been suffice.

what you all don't understand is what i said before, there was tailgating (obviously b/c i got a ticket for it) but the manner in which it was done, all of 5 seconds to realize he wasn't gonna get over.

for those of you that are saying im an idiot or whatever, you are all hypocrites because i guarantee you all have tailgated someone in your life. you have all passed a cop sometime in you life. you have all been speeding sometime in your life. so if telling me im an idiot makes you feel better about yourself, congrats, but it doesn't change my mind about what i am going to do.

thanks for those have had relevant and appropriate input, but to those who haven't, i can't wait for the day you get a ticket.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow uhm way to take it personally LOL. I don't recall anyone calling you an idiot and to say that "we" have sped or tailgated or passed a cop is just dumb.

you broke a few laws and you got caught, some people dont get caught but you did. cops cant catch everything, only what they see, and this cop was actually involved
Old 01-14-2009, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sid that suks man. Where abouts did you get the ticket? But man when u see a cop infront of you and hes already over the speed limit, its not a good idea to pass him. gl fighting it.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by O5_TRD_tC
Have u ever seen a cop give another cop a ticket? or are u that gullible?

lol now im gonna quit selling cars and become a cop and pull a cop over and if he gives me attitude ill tazzer that fool i make sure i get pic.

gimmie a couple of years tho.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SILVERredLIPtC
i always just stay behind them about car length away no matter how slow they go. You can try to fight it but i heard state troopers aren't allowed to dismiss or reduce tickets anymore at least in NY. not exactly sure though
its one car length per 10 mph you gotta have that safety margin for your brakes...
Old 01-14-2009, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

of course cops can give other cops tickets, not sure about if they're both on duty though
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NYNCTC

what you all don't understand is what i said before, there was tailgating (obviously b/c i got a ticket for it) but the manner in which it was done, all of 5 seconds to realize he wasn't gonna get over.
I apologize if you were offended. But what I can't wrap my mind around is what made you think it was ok to even get close enough to tailgate a State Trooper? I don't know about everyone else here, maybe I'm speaking for myself alone, but when I see a cop car I try my best to mind my p's and q's.

Yes most of us have been guilty of tailgating at one point in time or another. But most of us also respect the authority of police officers and state troopers alike. Though you may not agree, they demand a degree of respect for this very reason. If you don't respect them, you will end up paying. Hence, your ticket.

No amount of justification and/or reasoning (or lack there of rather) will ever make your situation empathetic.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlckdOutTC
of course cops can give other cops tickets, not sure about if they're both on duty though
They can give a ticket to anybody. It's rather pointless though. A waste of everyone's time. And can start unnecessary rivals between departments. No cop would be caught dead writing another on-duty officer a ticket. But it's possible.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL are you serious?? If I was the cop... I would smack your head

Quick Reply: Should I fight it?