Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

So... I could buy a tC (w/Black Pearl) or wait on Flint Mica

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member

Default So... I could buy a tC (w/Black Pearl) or wait on Flint Mica

Well, it's just my luck that a local dealer is getting an automatic transmissions tC in Black Pearl next week! They don't have tC's on the lot right now, but before I make a down payment, one of the sales associates is going to let me drive their personal tC to see if I like it... (pretty nice of them, but of course they want a sale)

Originally I had wanted Black Pearl, but after looking at the colors on the website Flint Mica looks VERY nice as well.

Now I'm torn.

I could buy the Black Pearl one and get it within a week, or buy a Flint Mica one and wait six weeks (or longer/shorter, whatever it takes).

What do you guys think is the best option?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

black is THE best color on ANY car IF you maintain it, it is the absolute worst if you don't.

By maintain a black car I mean being mentally obsessive about the vehicle, dusting it off after every ride, quick detailing it with quick detailing spray to get out water marks and fingerprints, washing it at least once a week and re-waxing it at least every 3 months, hopefully less. Only buying the highest of the highest quality micro-fiber cloths, scrubbing sponges, waxes, cleaners, pre-waxing acrylic coats etc

if you buy black, go to www.autopia.org and be ready to spend about $200, probably more, especially if you guy a mechanical buffer on auto care products, and about 10 hours a week maintaing your paint.

otherwise wait for flint mica and wash it every 2 weeks and wax it every 4mo and enjoy the car.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have always loved black cars, my lasyt car (saturn sc2) was black. And I too had the option of getting the black 5 speed that was there on the lot or waiting. I actually liked the mica better. There was one on the lot (aready sold) and I got to see both the black and the mica in person. I like the Mica the best, Black, then white would be my second choices. I would wait, I dont think it should take 6 weeks. Mine only took like 1.5 weeks. Of course, it isnt in yet but the dealer assured me it would be here by wednesday. If not i'll get a loaner. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member

flint mica is the color that everyone is getting. it looks great - it really does... but I hate having the same color as everyone else.

Now I live in LA - so everyone's cars here are silver or black. So I also didn't wait either of those colors.

I got Indigo Ink and couldn't be happier... it's the best color available.

But in my opinion, if the black has the options you want, go for it. the flint mica is overdone
Old 12-06-2004, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too had this option, drive up within the hour of my dealer call before someone else did and nab a black pearl or wait out the 2 weeks for my flint mica, Well the guy got there before me so I was out for the 2 weeks. So anyways I have a flint mica and love it, BSP is my second choice because it does look VERY very nice. I have to quik detail my car after every longer drive (100 miles or so) and the rain, then again im obsessive about it sparkling even if it just rained lol. Both colors are great, if you plan on keeping it showroom clean I think the BSP is gorgeous (plus if you get limo tint its just all black and very nice)

Both of them are great.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i took the black one, and i love it to death, but there are times when i dont like looking at it when the sun shines off it and u see the swirl marks, i think thats from my "100 percent" cotton towels, yes its alot of maintanence, but its worth it,
Old 12-06-2004, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

flint Mica!.. its hot.. thats why I got one.. but yea it is pretty common
Old 12-06-2004, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by sportmaned
i took the black one, and i love it to death, but there are times when i dont like looking at it when the sun shines off it and u see the swirl marks, i think thats from my "100 percent" cotton towels, yes its alot of maintanence, but its worth it,
SWIRL MARKS??? omg dude do your car a favor and get some meguires scratchX and buy some high-quality micro-fiber towels to take care of it... you're givin' us tC'erZ a bad rep bro.... lol j/k but seriously, lose the cotton and everyone needs to go to an enthusiast auto care site like www.autopia.org and at least read their excellent write-ups under the "LEARN" link at the top, your car will thank you and getting to and maintaining a show-room shine even on a daily driver only takes like 10mins of work each long drive, if that, even if it's driven every single day

I know when I get my car out of the shop (dang people, somebody hit my tC in a parking lot... wtf) I bought about $150 worth of auto care products and I'm going to obsess about it's looks and baby it like a psycho, and everyone who says something about it, I'll just smile knowing they noticed how incredible it looks and it's worth the work (I didn't wash it since I got it on nov 10th, got hit like 3 days ago and I feel bad about my baby, so it's going to be excellent from now on)
Old 12-07-2004, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kev_the_rev
flint Mica!.. its hot.. thats why I got one.. but yea it is pretty common
Shhhh.....
sofakng get the black
Old 12-07-2004, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member

Hmmm... it seems like the general consensus is to wait for a Flint Mica one. Most of the dealerships in my area are saying at least four to six weeks which isn't a problem. The problem is that the dealership doesn't have either color tC there for me to look at so all I have to go by are the pictures...

Plesae keep the opinions coming
Old 12-07-2004, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

I was in a similar situation back at the beginning of August. I had just sold my only car -- I listed it on Autotrader.com and it sold for 95% of my asking price in a day and a half, which I was NOT expecting. So here I was, suddenly without a car. I went to my local Scion dealership and put down a deposit on an Indigo Ink Scion tC. At the time, I was told that it would be somewhere around 2 weeks before they got one in stock.

Two days later, the saleswoman from the dealership called me and told me that they had a flint mica that had just come in, which could be mine if I told her I wanted it right then. I asked for an hour to think about it, and then spent the next hour looking at the color some more on the website, asking for friends' and co-workers' opinions on the color choice, and agonizing over the choice.

I finally decided to take the flint mica. When I got to the dealership and actually SAW the color, I was glad that I did. The flint mica is a very nice color -- understated and dark in the shade or darkness, and bright and dynamic in direct sunlight. I still like indigo ink, but I'm glad I chose the flint mica.

Hopefully my experience is helpful to you. Of course, you have to keep in mind that the alternative would also have required me to continue to pay for a rental car.