Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Soooo... what did the dealer say about the creaking sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member

Default Soooo... what did the dealer say about the creaking sunroof?

Several Tc owners have noticed a creaking or some other weird noise coming from around the sunroof or windshield area, especially going around curves or over bumps.

I'd like to know what the dealer said when you brought your Tc back to them.

John
Old 07-07-2004, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member

I haven't bought one, but test drove one with the problem (I posted in the other thread) and asked the dealer to check into it. When I called them, they said that a tech inspected it and found no problem. Isn't it great how these loud noises heal themselves! It's been sold (glad I didn't buy it).

Anybody else have info? Can people with this problem post their production/build dates in this thread? Just think - together we could harness the tremendous power of the internet!!! Seriously, it might help to put together a pattern if there is one. If all of the tC's with the problem fit into a narrow date range, it might point to this being a bad batch of parts or short-term assembly line issue instead of a design problem.

I've asked another dealer about it. I'll post when I hear anything useful.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member

My tC scion has 300 miles and I do not have moonroof noises. It is well padded with rubber, It should not have a creaking noises. Maybe it is coming from somewhere else.

1manila
Old 07-07-2004, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if there is an creaking coming from roof, I would expect it to be build problem not part or design issue. In early build cars it is common that build quality is not perfect, afterall practice makes perfect.

Since only few people reported it, out of all of owners posting on forums, I very much doubt it is design or part issue.

If you do have tC with the issue, I suggest you take it to the dealer, let them know of the issue and test drive it with them.... probably nothing that bolt tightening wont be able to solve...
Old 07-07-2004, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member

my'n does it....if i hit a bump going around a curve it isn't a creaking noise...its like the glass hitting together or something...i don't even know...i've noticed it a few times...my'n was built...the week of the 14th i think...June 14th...
Old 07-07-2004, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yikes! Just glad I'm in no hurry.You shouldn't keep the car if you're not totally satisfied if you settle it will not get fixed.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member

well..i hear a creaking sound not from the sunroof, but around the center console. More specifically, the area around the A/C controls. This sound appears when im on a bumpy road; its not too loud but annoying. When I press the panel down (not the buttons) the noise disappears. :?
Old 07-07-2004, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member

My 03 celica's sunroof rattles like all hell, I figure its just a problem with toyota. I find it helps to clean the rubber molding around the sunroof.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member

[quote="spwolf"]

Since only few people reported it, out of all of owners posting on forums, I very much doubt it is design or part issue.

quote]

only a few people? most all of the owners as far as i can tell can say they've heard the sound (don't quote me on that...lol. I think it's just a design issue because it happens when the car flexes, like when one side is raised like a bump or a turn. i am going to dealer on fri and will mention it but i'm not worried about it anymore. i don't think it's anything serious or a buil problem.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well weather finally turned dark & grey in Seattle (Big Suprise) & I have been rolling around with the sunroof crosed and with sharp turns or going over bumps yes there is a very LOUD creeking noise, almost like a snap. I see no damage and no one can find anything. I doesn't happen all the time though. But when it does it FREAKS me out.

Anyways we can track the cars by vin number because the last 6 digits of the vin are the # it come off the assembily line so my last digits are:

meaning I have the 2039th Tc to be produced.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as far as i can tell it's NOT the glass....it's the front right corner of the sunroof even when the glass is open. i don't have time to take it to the dealer until next weekend though
Old 07-07-2004, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as long as it isnt the glass breaking then im sure its not a big deal ! .. but it is something to be checked into. i wont jump the gun until i have the car and make sure theres no weird sounds but u do have 3 years standard of warrenty.

but if this is a serious problem with the tC, then most likely they will do a recall, (esp since i think this would break safety laws out there) and they will correct the problem for free.. my sisters friend who has a 01 sentra gxe had her engine recalled and so she got a new engine with no charge.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scion jC
but if this is a serious problem with the tC, then most likely they will do a recall, (esp since i think this would break safety laws out there) and they will correct the problem for free.. my sisters friend who has a 01 sentra gxe had her engine recalled and so she got a new engine with no charge.
there you go, tC's first recall! rate we are going around here, it "will" have hundreds of recalls by the time it is 1 yr old...
Old 07-07-2004, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member

i learned about this topic yesterday when i went to my TC training

what it is:
In a normal coupe there are structual beams that travel across the roof line to give the vehicle better support, well on a roof that is made completely out of glass you cant do that..so what has to happen is in order to allow the vehicle to "Sway" it will move around the glass..therefore you get this popping noise every now and then
Old 07-07-2004, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no creaks first 500 miles...680 miles and the thing is starting to creak often...closed or open..but more times open....creaks from upper right corner on passengers side as well as dead center between where the sunshades retract....yes its a first model year..yes its a 16k car..yes its a hatch which tend to creak a bit more..but this doesn't sound like poor fitting panels..sounds like heavily stressed glass...should be interesting to see what my dealer says about this...a couple more days of this and thats where i'm headed...wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two they went to a conventional roof w/a regular sunroof..
Old 07-08-2004, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nortwn Scion
i learned about this topic yesterday when i went to my TC training

what it is:
In a normal coupe there are structual beams that travel across the roof line to give the vehicle better support, well on a roof that is made completely out of glass you cant do that..so what has to happen is in order to allow the vehicle to "Sway" it will move around the glass..therefore you get this popping noise every now and then
my dealer did mention about some sort of steel beems underneatht the glass.. that make sense... as long as nothing is breaking or buckling .. its just an annoying noise.. my car makes plenty of noises.. radio is on so dont matter hehe..
Old 07-08-2004, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
IV ACE

Probably the glass is tightly fitted with no room to flex? The JDM CR-X has an all glass roof. I know a guy with one and he never complained about it. Maybe Toyota should'a used LEXAN instead?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member

my dealer did mention about some sort of steel beems underneatht the glass.. that make sense... as long as nothing is breaking or buckling .. its just an annoying noise.. my car makes plenty of noises.. radio is on so dont matter hehe..

theres what they call a "Bazooka Bar" which is another support beam thats connected to the right front strut underneath, this also helps with the swaying, but if the roof didnt move around the glass top it would shatter, due to it being to stiff
Old 07-08-2004, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member

I contacted Scion via their web site concerning this issue and here is what they said:

"Thank you for contacting Scion.

Scion has not heard of that particular issue. If there is a consistant issue
with the sunroof or window the owners of the tC should call us so that we may
document the issue".
Old 07-08-2004, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have noticed this creaking or snapping noise near the moonroof the past couple of days too. I picked up my Scion last Friday and the last four #s of the VIN are 3812 if that matters. It does seem to happen when the car is very hot and I go over a bump or otherwise cause the car to shift a certain way.
I just called 1-866-70-SCION and spoke to a "customer advocate". He wasn't aware of the issue so he took all of my information and opened a case file. He says that I should have my dealer check it out and if they can't fix it, call back with the case number and Scion will address the issue. I am going to my dealership after work to have my alarm installed so I will have them check it out. I'll let you know if I get any answers. Any of you that are having this problem may want to call Scion and let them know too. -Jayme

Quick Reply: Soooo... what did the dealer say about the creaking sunroof?