Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Soooo... what did the dealer say about the creaking sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Mine started creaking at 900 miles/10 days. When turning on a very hot day after the car was sitting in the sun.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcwannab
they probably will not do anything for free without hearing the noise first
And of course the noise won't happen when they take it out to drive it. It never does! I left my car at Honda for a day because my auto down power window switch wasn't working all the way. It worked fine for an entire day when THEY tested it, but I drove away from the dealer and two minutes later it happened for me. I turned around, brought it back, and it was fine again. Just my luck. :lol
Old 08-02-2004, 12:14 AM
5 Year Member

Default Moonroof Pop

My tC (vin ending in 365 makes the moonroof pop and has been sitting at the dealer for several days while they claim to be unable to get an answer from Toyota. Anyone who has this problem should call and report it so the dealers will get a fix from the manufacturer.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member

I had two issues where there was the popping sound in the front and a rattling in the back. I took it to Longo Scion and they fixed the popping sound after leaving over the weekend but said I had to wait until September to get the rattling out because Toyota has to put in a "fix" for it. They lent me a Prius while I waited...big difference.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcwannab
they probably will not do anything for free without hearing the noise first... iv decided that i'd wait for the prob to happen and then take it back... although the dealer is kinda far away :? still some thinking to do
Guys, you don't have to take it to the dealer where you bought it. Any Toyota/Scion dealer will do. :D
Old 08-02-2004, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member

All my problems with this car are sunroof related.

Got a carwash the other day, and water came in. Lots of wind noise at highway speed, and at 600 miles the popping started.

Vin ends in 8052. Have to take it to the dealer for some options, will find out then. Will probably call scion in the meantime.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know Scion does not want any "known" problems but wonder why they haven't issued a TSB so all the dealers would know how to handle. Currently the dealer just has to call the "tech" line to find out what to do but a TSB would be much more efficient.

For me, it is strange that I heard the popping from mileage 300-600 but have not heard in past 400 miles. Could be either the problem went away on its own, I am playing music louder, or I stop taking turns at 55MPH

Kevin
Old 08-02-2004, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd check on the rubber piece that is between the front windshield and the first piece of glass on the roof (the one that slants up to let the sunroof open). That black rubber piece kinda pops out of mine from time to time. I know people say that it is supposed to flex a little to allow that piece of glass to tilt open but mine seems to be doing more than flexing. I've looked at my fiance's tC and his rubber piece is on there pretty tight... mine just pops right out of place. Anyways... before you take it to a car wash, I recommend pushing down on the black rubber piece to make sure it is in properly. I've taken it through a car wash once and although no water came through, the rubber piece had popped out when I inspected the car afterwards. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by wolfie_tc
All my problems with this car are sunroof related.

Got a carwash the other day, and water came in. Lots of wind noise at highway speed, and at 600 miles the popping started.

Vin ends in 8052. Have to take it to the dealer for some options, will find out then. Will probably call scion in the meantime.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by imasaf
I'd check on the rubber piece that is between the front windshield and the first piece of glass on the roof (the one that slants up to let the sunroof open). That black rubber piece kinda pops out of mine from time to time. I know people say that it is supposed to flex a little to allow that piece of glass to tilt open but mine seems to be doing more than flexing. I've looked at my fiance's tC and his rubber piece is on there pretty tight... mine just pops right out of place. Anyways... before you take it to a car wash, I recommend pushing down on the black rubber piece to make sure it is in properly. I've taken it through a car wash once and although no water came through, the rubber piece had popped out when I inspected the car afterwards. Hope this helps.
Most of the water comes in above our heads (ie: the back end of the sunroof). I did notice that the rubber piece up front doesn't sit flush though, I will try pushing that down more.

I even checked the seal during the carwash by waiting until the jets were busy way in back of the car, then doing a quick open/close, and next time around drip drip drip.....
Old 08-02-2004, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wolfie_tc
Originally Posted by imasaf
Most of the water comes in above our heads (ie: the back end of the sunroof). I did notice that the rubber piece up front doesn't sit flush though, I will try pushing that down more.

I even checked the seal during the carwash by waiting until the jets were busy way in back of the car, then doing a quick open/close, and next time around drip drip drip.....
This is something that the dealer should definitely be able to find/fix. Should be as easy as someone being in the car while another person shoots water all around. As soon as the person inside notices the leak, then they should check the rubber gasket in that area.

Kevin