Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

TC a crappy car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 03:37 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default TC a crappy car?

well dont get me wrong, i like my TC, i like the styling and the pull that the motor has, but its almost everything mechanically(not engine based) that goes wrong. we have ____ty sunroofs(shattering and rattling), the paint sucks, the floormats get holes in them after 2 months, trunk rattles, i hear ALOT about tranny issues (auto and manual) i just wish they would get things right. i know i have the first model year, but damn, i had 6-7 warranty claims already, and i only had my car 6 months. not to mention that dealerships give people a hard time about warranty claims. sorry im just venting.

*05' TC bumper for sale---$100 +shipping*
Old 07-20-2005, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

what were your problems? and whats wrong with the tanny's?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounds like you just have a lemon. Its true toyota isnt know for their other stuff, but it shouldnt be that bad. The sunroof shattering is a rare problem. Other than that, ive only heard of rattling on the sunroof and hatch. Big deal. I have a 99 Pontiac right now that has about 100 rattles. Toyota is so much better, your just expecting perfect!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Wow, had mine since october, and other than the paint being a littl weak (which is the case on many new cars I see unfortunately) mine has been great. One tiny rattle from one of the arms that open the wind deflector. It was easy to isolate, and I think will be a 10 minute fix, but havent messed with it. There is a press washer that need pressed on further. Other than that, no shattering sunroof, tranny is perfect, runs good, ac is good, etc.

If you look at the number of issues on here against the number of users it isnt that bad at all.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: TC a crappy car?

Originally Posted by halfbreed
well dont get me wrong, i like my TC, i like the styling and the pull that the motor has, but its almost everything mechanically(not engine based) that goes wrong. we have ____ty sunroofs(shattering and rattling), the paint sucks, the floormats get holes in them after 2 months, trunk rattles, i hear ALOT about tranny issues (auto and manual) i just wish they would get things right. i know i have the first model year, but damn, i had 6-7 warranty claims already, and i only had my car 6 months. not to mention that dealerships give people a hard time about warranty claims. sorry im just venting.

*05' TC bumper for sale---$100 +shipping*
Whats wrong with your bumper and what color is it?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I haven't heard anything about the tranny. They did re-design the floormats for the tC. Shattering sun roof... I've heard about a couple. Personally no problems here. So the major problems are the rattles then?
Old 07-20-2005, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well what did you expect for $17k? It's a great car for the price, and people will always complain about their cars more than they will praise them. I even had a pretty catastrophic roof failure and I'm still enjoying my car. Sh*t happens.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Show me a better new car for $17K.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For real..i am extremley happy with my tC. Granted the A/C could get a little colder faster...but it's bearable. Still love it though.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

better yet show me a 17k car that will get u the stares! :D
Old 07-20-2005, 05:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

People just don't understand the connection between features/quality/R&D and pricing. If the tC would have more power, would have virtually no rattles, perfect fit anf finish, flawless butter-smooth tranny, and 0 issues of any kind minor or major, why would anyone, ever, buy a more expensive car such as Lexus? There IS a reason why a tC is $17k, and why a Lexus IS300 (as an example) is $30k.

Fact of the matter is, go drive any other car for the same price new as the tC and see if the tC comes out as the worse car by comparison. I highly doubt this will be the case unless you are just against tCs in general.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dmikon
People just don't understand the connection between features/quality/R&D and pricing. If the tC would have more power, would have virtually no rattles, perfect fit anf finish, flawless butter-smooth tranny, and 0 issues of any kind minor or major, why would anyone, ever, buy a more expensive car such as Lexus? There IS a reason why a tC is $17k, and why a Lexus IS300 (as an example) is $30k.

Fact of the matter is, go drive any other car for the same price new as the tC and see if the tC comes out as the worse car by comparison. I highly doubt this will be the case unless you are just against tCs in general.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

great post!
Old 07-20-2005, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the car doesnt even have any recalls or anything. most 1st model year cars do. plus MOST of us have no or only very minor problems. the only problem I have with my tC is the rattling. everything else is fine. this is a well built car specially for $17k. beats any other car in its price range.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tC_kevin
the car doesnt even have any recalls or anything. most 1st model year cars do. plus MOST of us have no or only very minor problems. the only problem I have with my tC is the rattling. everything else is fine. this is a well built car specially for $17k. beats any other car in its price range.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

the nature of posts on this message board will be more negative based then positive for the main reason that if something goes wrong its usally will be posted but how many times have people posted when nothing has happened. Remember your driving a toyota and personaly i believe they are the best cars on the road reliablilty and less problem. Just my 2 cents
Old 07-20-2005, 07:22 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

NO! they are NOT crappy cars... i have had no problems with mine and i've had it since last Sept.

well.. probably the paint getting scratched easily.. sure.. that's about it...
Old 07-20-2005, 08:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yes the TC is a very crappy car but i love it

there are a lot of problems with it but i still love it the way it is.

wat do you expected when you only put less than 20k in a car? a BMW?

problems with my car?

shift gates are lose, sunroof TSB done 6 times, rear hatch rattle but i got a CF hatch so no prob there, Cd player broke for teh 3rd time, stereo door squeaks,

this is not a rant or complaint! i love my TC the way it is :D
Old 07-20-2005, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's OK to say your car has a few problems, but to generalize and say ALL tC's suck is a bit of an overstatement, no? Kurve got it right, in ANY forum you're bound to get a much higher percentage of rants than raves, I even fell into that trap at first... looking around all I saw was "Shattering sunroof" "tranny noise", etc. I was like, DAMN! what did I get myself into! But most people are not going to start their computer, come online, sign on, and say, "Hi guys, nothing wrong here.."
You're talking about a national forum, and I've seen maybe, what, 4, 5 people complain about the shattering sunroof, that's a good ratio compared to the hundreds of thousands sold. So I'm not too worried.

Case in point: My first Honda Civic had a catastrophic engine failure within the first 4 months of owning it. it cost $2,500 to fix (obviously paid for by Honda) and I was on my way... I didn't say then and there 'all Civic's suck' because I realized this was a fluke thing, and you know what, I bought another one 4 years later and have had it for 5 without a single hitch, one of the best cars I've owned.

...until I get my tC, of course...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What the hell are you guys talking about the tC being 17K thus it's suppose to be crappy!?!?! That is the sorriest excuse I have ever heard!!! And I honestly don't think that is the reputation Toyota is going for. Our Scions are priced cheap, so you can expect a piece of crap?

Toyota Corollas are just ONE example of a car in the same price range or cheaper ( I could think of plenty more). And it has one of the best Toyota reputations.

So stop the "stop whining, you bought a cheap car" cheesy responses. My last brand new car was less than 17K, and still runs flawlessly with "0" complaints since day 1.

Pricing is just a marketting strategy. The don't always make sense. Some products are simply priced higher for the fact that data shows more people would buy it if the price was set at such. It doesnt necessarily mean its a better product. If our Scions were NOT purely prices, it would carry a price tag of 20K or over. Ever consider that?
So you really need to expect a little more from your purchase and not simply tolerate the problems with your tCs (if you have problems).

Quick Reply: TC a crappy car?