Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC review at C/Net

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member

Default tC review at C/Net

I just found this review, http://reviews.cnet.com/2006_Scion_t...?tag=cnetfd.sd I think it's a very accurate one. I never noticed the windshield wiper pause, but now that I read it, I can't help but notice it.

Igor
Old 12-05-2005, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I just started reading it.. but already it doesnt seem like they really payed attention to the manual. I am 5'9" and am WAY under the roof... no headroom issues at all... and the seat height complaint they had..... basically it sounds like they had no idea how to work the seat height adjustment... you can raise the seat a LONG ways or lower it. Maybe they didnt realize that it moves up or down with EACH pull or push of the lever, (you basically "pump" it up or down)??? I can sit mine way down.. and I cant even reach the pedals enough if I put the seat all the way back. Not sure where they came from with the front leg and headroom unless my above points are what was going on.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I don't know what they were smoking. I'm 6'4" and I've got plenty of legroom.

--mark
Old 12-05-2005, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are disappointed that a nav system and blue tooth are not offered in a 17K car. What a bunch of tools.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by markbvt
Yeah, I don't know what they were smoking. I'm 6'4" and I've got plenty of legroom.

--mark
I'm the same but I dunno about "plenty of legroom." I could still use a few inches more.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for another $2000, navi can be installed. Heck, for $2100 I got Eclipse AVN-5435, Eclipse 10" DVC sub and a Memphis amp all installed.
Now there are dealerships that offer these products as a "built-to-order" option at their dealerships, and will include the cost of the parts into the finance charges. I guess it depends where you go. I'm glad they at least stated that the HU is easily upgradeable.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They had the same navi/bluetooth complaint about the xB also. I guess they dont realize that Scion is not a branch of Lexus.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You have to take these reviews with a grain of salt since they depend solely on the experiences and biases of the person reviewing them. I remember reading one review of the tC that complained about how hard the gauges are to see in the daytime... I have tried and tried but cant see what they are talking about. They also never take into account the type of car they are reviewing. The tC has a great amount of headroom for a small hatchback, especially with the seats reclined. And the navi/bluetooth comment was pretty ridiculous I agree. But they did give the tC an overall good review as most of them do.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahah they just need something bad to talk about... and its that the tC doesnt have bluetoth ops. ahahah very little to complain about.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

"When pushed moderately, the car didn't come up with any surprises, and the handling hinted at a bit of understeer. "

haha, they must not have pushed it very hard if the car just "hinted at a bit of understeer." this thing torque steers like a ****.

and yeah i agree, they probably didnt play with the front seat adjustments very much, because ive never had any head or legroom problems.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I like when reviews discuss the understeer on a FWD... they ALL have understeer.. that is a staple of the FWD setup and one of its biggest weaknesses (oversteer is very controllable most of the time and can be used to your advantage). The only difference between them is the amount of understeer. The tC does torque steer a little more than I think it should, but its understeer is not too bad comparative to other FWD cars like it. The stock tires make it seem a bit worse, but its not too bad.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
You have to take these reviews with a grain of salt since they depend solely on the experiences and biases of the person reviewing them. I remember reading one review of the tC that complained about how hard the gauges are to see in the daytime... I have tried and tried but cant see what they are talking about. They also never take into account the type of car they are reviewing. The tC has a great amount of headroom for a small hatchback, especially with the seats reclined. And the navi/bluetooth comment was pretty ridiculous I agree. But they did give the tC an overall good review as most of them do.
This occurs to me on a daily basis. When the sun is either rising or setting I can not see the guages inside the car. So the only way to guage my mph is to just flow with traffic. Otherwise, during normal hours, guages are just fine.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I agree with the reviews about legroom in the front. Friends that are 6 foot or taller with legs longer than a midget say the same thing. It really could use another 2 inches of legroom or adjustable pedals.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

at least the TC score higher than the RSX type S
Old 12-06-2005, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tC owners are rabid in their defense of this car...

I was wondering about the gauge thing myself. I've seen that mentioned in more than one review. I think maybe, if you are at just the right height, the glare hits you right in the eyes or something. I have never had a problem with them at all. Now, the amber gauge lighting blows, but that is a different story. I also don't see a front legroom problem. It is not "roomy" for us taller folk, but it competes well with every other sporty coupe/hatchback. I think some people are just proportioned differently. A telescopic steering wheel would be nice, however.

I am sure Scion will put Navi in as an option soon to compete with the Civic. The Toyota nav unit is pretty much drop-in anyway.

I actually kinda liked this review because they reviewed it from the perspective of the intended demographic of the tC by mentioning possible upgrades and mods to the audio and performance parts. If you ever notice the "User Reviews" of cars on MSN are always way higher than the tester's review score. If you actually plunk down several thousand on something, your appreciation of it is far higher than someone who just gets free cars to beat up on as a living.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

One thing to keep in mind is that CNet is a tech site, so they will be much more picky about Bluetooth and GPS, etc, than other reviewers would.