Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC Service Bulletin not really fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC Service Bulletin not really fixed?

Hello everyone, Yesterday I brought my tC into the Scion dealer to get an oil change and to fix the TSB on the moon roof rattle and hatch rattle. Well they kept the car for the whole day which I don't mind, but when i drove for about 2 minutes the rattle in the hatch was still there. Is it me or is there another rattle back there that needs to be fixed or did they just not fix it? It seems to be coming from the rear passsenger side and its the same rattle as before the car was brought in. I do not remember any other rattles back there. The moonroof does seem to be fixed but the hatch one is exactly the same. So i'm guessing they kept the car for 7.5hrs and didn't do it?

Anyone else get those TSB done? I just don't want to bring the car back and tell them they didn't fix it if in reality theres another rattle thats not included on the TSB.

Thanks for any input and sorry for the long story.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had mine into the dealership twice, they've claimed to have fixed it, twice. Still rattles....
Old 07-03-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I havae that same rattle.. I heard longo knows how to fix it right
Old 07-06-2005, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my hatch is empty and it sounds like the 2 sides are full of loose stuff
i hate it
Old 07-06-2005, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by boostedscion
I havae that same rattle.. I heard longo knows how to fix it right
yup, longo toyota in el monte know their stuff. i took it to them and they did the tsb on the sunroof. they had to keep it overnight tho. but no more rattles for me.

here's my post on it:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=68326
Old 07-06-2005, 09:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if your saying you hear a rattle coming from your hatch , and yoru in the driver seat you will more than likely find it comes from the last panel of glass in your roof towards the back . I thought for the longest time it was my hatch till I had a buddy of mine drive it over some rough pavement and I rode in the back (that was weird , ridding in the back of my own car LOL) . If you listen closely that rattle is coming from the panel that has the rear dome light in it . I took it into the dealer and they supposedly pulled it apart and said it was a wire harness rattle . Brought it home and guess what , the noise still there . So i pulled it into my own garage and started messing with it . come to find out the two little plugs that go into the headliner that holds it to the roof (on either side of the dome light ) causes this sound , atleast in mine . I messed around with the plugs and it actually reduced the noise some . I went to the parts department and ordered two new ones that arrive today and I am gonna try something out . If it corrects this problem I will post what I did , thats after I put it through a COMPLETE test drive . I dont think the tech did that
Old 07-06-2005, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCRS1.0
if your saying you hear a rattle coming from your hatch , and yoru in the driver seat you will more than likely find it comes from the last panel of glass in your roof towards the back . I thought for the longest time it was my hatch till I had a buddy of mine drive it over some rough pavement and I rode in the back (that was weird , ridding in the back of my own car LOL) . If you listen closely that rattle is coming from the panel that has the rear dome light in it . I took it into the dealer and they supposedly pulled it apart and said it was a wire harness rattle . Brought it home and guess what , the noise still there . So i pulled it into my own garage and started messing with it . come to find out the two little plugs that go into the headliner that holds it to the roof (on either side of the dome light ) causes this sound , atleast in mine . I messed around with the plugs and it actually reduced the noise some . I went to the parts department and ordered two new ones that arrive today and I am gonna try something out . If it corrects this problem I will post what I did , thats after I put it through a COMPLETE test drive . I dont think the tech did that
I will check mine. I think the LONGO fix (which followed the issued TSB) indicated teh shocks were the problem. If a person does a search, I think I have read the problems for this rattle are shocks, rear panel welding, wire harness, hatch not tight enough when closing, to now your plugs.

From talking to the Toyota guy, he indicates that hatch rattles are very difficult to fix and sometimes cannot be fixed. This would agree with the fact that the tC hatch rattle has gone so long w/o an absolute fix. Will be interested on how your new plugs do.

Kevin
Old 07-06-2005, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: tC Service Bulletin not really fixed?

[quote="ChefRaekwon"]Hello everyone, Yesterday I brought my tC into the Scion dealer to get an oil change and to fix the TSB on the moon roof rattle and hatch rattle. quote]

I know there is a TSB for the moon roof rattle. But there is one for the hatch rattle also? If there is, could you point me to it?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i also have all the above mentioned rattles . . .. very annoying . . still looking for a solution . .

anyway, i went to home depot the other day to pick up mulch . . five bags worth .. .they probably weigh around 25-40lbs each . .. . it must have weighted down something really well because there wasn't any rattles. . . at all . . .when i took the stuff out , the rattles came right back. . . .

some of the sources have already been mentioned . .. wire harness, shocks, connectors, hatch, etc. . . . what do you want its a cheap car. . . .but i love it, don't get me wrong.. .

.. i plan on changing to TRD strut/shocks/sway bar/springs. . . . during this mod, i want to systematically find every rattle, since all the rear panels, seats, etc will be remove. . .i want to take the head liner out too, to work on the sunroof. . .

i would take it to the deal (btw, i have been in for two oil changes and no mention of TSB for the tC) but i think i'll just get jerked around. . .. they'll keep the car and probably not totally fix the problem. . . it'll just ____ me off, so i'll do it myself. . . i forget who mentioned it, but they stated that the dealer said some of the rattles cannot be fixed. . . that's just bull ****. . when i first got the car, it was perfectly quiet .. i think they're just lazy. . .

anyway, it will be alot of work, and there's the chance that i won't fix everything . .. but it's still better than going to the dealer . . there's nothing worse than getting your hopes up and then having the people that are supposed to help you leave you high and dry. . .

good luck w/ all your rattles,
z
Old 07-06-2005, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

For everyone that has a question about what TSB's are out there, check out http://alldata.com/TSB/87/05870302.html (or http://alldata.com/recalls/index.html ). It's a good site to see what kinds of TSB's and Recalls are out there for just about all types of cars and trucks. If you actually want to know what is in the TSB, you'll either have to pay the site, or go to the dealer. Some dealers may not openly tell scion owners about the TSB's, maybe because they don't want to perform the fix unless you make a complaint. I haven't had any problems so far, but I don't even have 3k miles on the odo. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone take out the spare tire and everything in there to see if it helps?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

rattling is from the wires in the hatch bouncing back and forth. its a DIY fix.

as for sunroof, the sunroof prob will always be there. i've taken my car in 5-6 times for the TSB.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy
do you have any info on this?
it does sound like wires moving around
Old 07-07-2005, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahaitzskippy

as for sunroof, the sunroof prob will always be there. i've taken my car in 5-6 times for the TSB.
The hatch rattle DIY fix , yeah there is a post about an individual doing this to his tC and at first it did solve the rattle issue but later on in the post (if we talking about the same post) it states his rattles returned . I have also removed part of the hatch trim and installed foam to insulate wires and panels , to no affect . As for the sunroof rattle I keep hearing its located over the rear dome light and has something to do with the black trim piece that seals the last part of the roof before it goes into the hatch itself . I know this from driving down a bumpy road and reachin back and gently pulling down on this black piece and the rattling stops . I am still trying out ideas as to isolate the source and come up with a possible solution for this one possible cause for rattles . (WORK IN PROGRESS)
Old 07-07-2005, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by imsono___un
For everyone that has a question about what TSB's are out there, check out http://alldata.com/TSB/87/05870302.html (or http://alldata.com/recalls/index.html ). It's a good site to see what kinds of TSB's and Recalls are out there for just about all types of cars and trucks. If you actually want to know what is in the TSB, you'll either have to pay the site, or go to the dealer. Some dealers may not openly tell scion owners about the TSB's, maybe because they don't want to perform the fix unless you make a complaint. I haven't had any problems so far, but I don't even have 3k miles on the odo. Good luck.
icdedppl keeps track of the tsbs for us in his FAQ (the best FAQ around):

http://home.cfl.rr.com/icdedppl/faq.html#b7
Old 07-07-2005, 02:20 AM
5 Year Member

I have been fighting against the roof and hatch sounds for a while. Finally after many visits to the dealership, toyota's regional rep had them completely remove it and replacemost of the parts and reinstalling it. THis seems to have fixed the roof. NO more rattle or squeeks.

AS far as the hatch, i have been messing with that for a while. SO far (1 day), i havent heard the rattle that was constant. I removed this loose plastic piece that mounts around the actual latch. Obviouslly this isnt permanent. I will probably soray undercoating on the underside of this piece of trim... Then i got foam tape, and placed it on the top of the little "arms" that swing under the locks for the spare cover. Not claiming a end all fix just telling my experiences.