2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC trans slipping.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default tC trans slipping.

We ahve a tC with the auto trans. 37k on the clock. second winter. This Q is aimed at other cold area owners. I have begun to notice the transmission "slipping on a 2-3 shift. It just doesn't "feel" right. Any thoughts?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same here..i only have 24000 miles on the car and ive noticed the same problem here in washington when it gets down in the 30s..im going to the dealership in a week to get it checked out .im due for a tranny service anyway, and after that im going to do a full synthetic swap wich some people say should help out in cold weather
Old 12-02-2005, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

At least I'm not alone. thanks. I'll have it checked with the recall work.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hope it gets fixed, keep us updated
Old 12-02-2005, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've already got full synthetic in my car.. it helps a little, but i still notice a bit of a shudder from start to first. maybe i'm just retarded but i don't think so. my car has 34,000 on it and the clutch was squeaking/making metallicy noises beginning the first few months I owned it.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: tC trans slipping.

Originally Posted by JDMJim
We ahve a tC with the auto trans. 37k on the clock. second winter. This Q is aimed at other cold area owners. I have begun to notice the transmission "slipping on a 2-3 shift. It just doesn't "feel" right. Any thoughts?
the other thing to notice is if it's only doing it when it's cold.. because the tC does have a mode where it will NOT shift into the top gear when it's cold.. it does this to warm up the engine.. The auto transmission is programmed to work differently when it's cold.. Does it still slip when it's warm??

The powertrain includes the transmission and that is covered for 5yrs/60k miles.. if it does it when its warm i would take it to a reputable dealer and get it checked out..
Old 12-07-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm actually having the same type of problem. When its cold, my TC will not shift into top gear until the engine warms up. SCIONTC_MICH you said that the TC has a mode where the TC will not shift into top gear when its cold Is this for a manual or auto trans? I have an auto trans that shifts fine once the car warms up. I just thought it was weird that it will not shift because of the temp.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: tC trans slipping.

Originally Posted by JDMJim
Try to shift the gears while you are at stop before driving ... and let the engine warm up for at least 5 minutes, especially that you live in a very cold state. Where I live the weather is extreme, that is why before i leave, i shift the gears all the way to reverse and that should warm it up.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by C_Money
I'm actually having the same type of problem. When its cold, my TC will not shift into top gear until the engine warms up. SCIONTC_MICH you said that the TC has a mode where the TC will not shift into top gear when its cold Is this for a manual or auto trans? I have an auto trans that shifts fine once the car warms up. I just thought it was weird that it will not shift because of the temp.
hey c_money.. yeah the tC has this mode where it will not shift into the top gear (4th gear) when it's cold.. it does this to warm up the engine quicker to heat up the catalytic convertor quicker.. yeah it only does it when it's cold.. completely normal..

this is for the automatic..
Old 12-08-2005, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Thanks bro, it's more of an annoyance than a problem. Trying to pull onto the turnpike, while the car won't shift to top gear just sucks. I'll just have to let it warm up a little longer.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, my corolla did that, too. it's to heat everything up..engine, trans, cats, etc. it will shift if you go a certain speed, though..my corolla wouldn't shift into third until about 30mph or so.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got the shifting part figured out, but still I get that hesitation when going from 2nd to 3rd or the down shift in stop and go traffic. It just doesn't want to go.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member

my car has about 46k on it now and i've already had to change the tranny once...changed it at 35k, i felt the slip between 2nd and 3rd and also when i put the car in reverse
Old 12-11-2005, 07:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't do it already, starting the car a few minutes before you actually leave might be a good idea. My tC hasbeen running fairly normal throughout all the weather we've had in the teens and twenties. The engine is usually ready to go after about 10 minutes. Anyways, just a suggestion.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you shoulnt be driving in top gear on a cold engine anyway....correct me if im wrong but this will wear parts out quicker if they arent sufficiently lubed up and already working at high rpms
Old 01-10-2006, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow same here.

when it 40 below.. the tran slips when i pass the 15mph mark..

it's like this tingling sound .. but it goes away once the car runs for about 10 minutes..

very wierd. i have 24k miles on it too.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

When I lived in PA, and had autos, they did that sort of thing. It's not too hard to see why if you look at how an auto works.
Maybe synth fluid would help there?

Scott
Old 01-10-2006, 03:46 AM
5 Year Member

Do you guys who are putting synthetic transmission fluid in your trannys know that Toyota spec's a special tranny fluid.

The Toyota spec is type T-IV

I believe Amsoil claims to have a synthetic that meets this standard and Mobil ATF 3309 claims to meet it.

If I had an automatic, I WOULD NOT use Mobil1 Synthetic ATF or any others unless it claimed to meet Toyota Type T-IV specs.

HTH,

T
Old 01-11-2006, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member

What, no comments on the tranny fluid?

Does that mean all you guys who put Mobil1 tranny fluid in your automatics are rushing out to change to the correct fluid?

I'm not dissing on M1 tranny fluid, it's a good fluid in the right box. It's just not made for this application.

Comments from the peanut gallery?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Yes, You are correct camys_daddy. I just did a bunch of research on this whole ATF scam that Toyota has going. The Toyota T-IV Fluid is almost as expensive as the Amsoil full synthetic. I'm just going to buy a case of the Mobil 3309 and change the fluid every 15K or so. It's about 2 bucks cheaper a quart than the Toyota stuff and it's compatible.
I just changed it out at 25K and it was smelling pretty nasty for such low miles.

Quick Reply: tC trans slipping.