Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC or xA? apples and oranges, I know...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member

Default tC or xA? apples and oranges, I know...

...but for some reason the apples and the oranges in me are fighting. What key observation (besides the obvious - power, basic design appeal, etc.) am I missing to help me decide? I'm posting this in both forums, and I expect a lot of model loyalty, but I'm hoping for that one comment that will make me say, "Yeah, I never thought of that, that's an excellent point..." Thanks to all.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I think the tC comes with a couple more standard features... like larger wheels (17" - which are also alloy, xA has steel wheels with covers as standard option), cruise control, remote keyless entry, outsite temp monitor, and maybe a couple others I don't notice right away...
Old 04-22-2005, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I don't have either model, but I'm privy to the tC.

I'd say you'd really have to like the styling of the xA to the choose it over the tC. I personally don't feel the xA has the demanding presence of the tC.

The only real advantage I see the xA having over the tC is gas mileage. The rest of the advantages belong to the tC (power, space, etc.) and then the rest are pretty much preferences/opinions (styling, accessories, etc.).

One thing to keep in mind is that the xA is probably on its last year or two of production. The tC will most likely be around a little bit longer. At least that is what I have been lead to believe.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Styling is definitely a big factor. I'm going for the tC because I like all the stuff it has as well as the way it looks. But, I did consider the xA because I like small cars and how they handle, so it's definitely a matter of personal preference. It might kinda depend on what you're used to driving too.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've posted on another thread how I fell in love with my Xa. To me the Tc felt kind of "bulky". I have had small cars before and the Xa just felt right. The style took a while to warm to, but when it did, I was completely hooked! The handling (after the TRD shocks spring and struts) is great. It feels as though you're driving a street legal Go-Kart! Granted, You won't get the attention from other drivers, as it's style tends to blend in with many other cars. All scions seem fun to drive. I say get a plan, figure out what mods you might be after ( if any ) and go from there. The Tc is a great car, as are ALL the models in the Scion line, but I fell for the Xa. Greater potential for performance lies in the Tc, but I didn't feel the fun when I tested it.

I SAY BUY THE SCION, HAVE FUN. WHICHEVER MODEL YOU CHOOSE!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xA
Adv
MPG
cheaper

disadv
greatly reduced horsepower
styling/looks
gauges in middle of console
stock stereo is not as good as tC
no all glass roof

I would get the xA as a commuter car. But if you really want a stylish looking car, then go for tC.

Kevin
Old 04-22-2005, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fearturtle44
I would get the xA as a commuter car. But if you really want a stylish looking car, then go for tC.
That was my thought exactly.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the all glass roof and 17's are what really sold me....that and it's loaded with STANDARD equipment that would cost you more on any other line of cars.....

The reclining back seats on the tC add quite a bit of room for rear passengers.....

the xA has alot of potential...but I've never seen one at a dealership that I like.....they def. lack from the factory.....xA's have more room but less power.....

doesn't really matter what you get as long as it's a Scion!!!
Old 04-22-2005, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

depends on your lifestyle, I would say...
Old 04-22-2005, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also depends on how many people you cart around, and how often! hehe
Old 04-22-2005, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Both are great cars. For me, the main reasons I went with the xA are:

-Almost $5,000 cheaper!

-little bit better gas milage

-4 doors (works better for me than 2)

-style (I just love the xA. It reminds me of an escape pod from a spaceship )
Old 04-22-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, back when I was car shopping in the summer, I saw the xA, and I was impressed...
I was even more impressed when I test drove one and floored it, and how fast this lil thing was with such a tiny powerplant...

I was set, I had talked to my folks, and got a loan and everything...

Then my friend told me about the tC...I was skeptical, so I went to look...

I was sold on it...I love the xA, and nearly everything about it...

But the tC is more my style, my type of car...

If I had to tell you anything...go with what suits you BEST...even if you have to go down to the pedals...be very Specific...
Old 04-22-2005, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I bought my car, my decision was between the tC and the xA. In the end, I choose the xA. Why?

- Better mileage. I get around 34 mpg! My friends tC gets around 22 :D
- Unique styling for a hatchback, I would say moreso than the tC since the tC does look like every other car on the street.
- 4 door practicality + roomier interior. 5 college dudes can easily fit inside without a problem
- Around 6k cheaper than the tC. Factor in financing APR and it can easily hit 7k.

The xA really doesn't lack in power, imo. It just wants to be pushed harder than your average car. Driving the xA on city streets is effortless when shifting at 3.5 to 4k rpm.

And the occasional 6k shift is way too fun to pass up :D
Old 04-22-2005, 03:38 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Neither, get an xB.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

which ever u choose it'll be hott.. . tc's are already hott looking but when u drop that Xa and get some rims oohh soo hott.. . i dunno man its up to you.. .i love my tc but Xa's are hott too. .i know im not helping. . im like kerry. .cant keep one story! lol ahhhhhhh!! GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-22-2005, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by M-Flo
- Around 6k cheaper than the tC. Factor in financing APR and it can easily hit 7k.
Whoa whoa whoa... I don't know what tC you were looking at... but here are the base prices (scion.com):

xA: $13045
tC: $16515

Diff: ~$3500 != 6000-7000.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get the xB

But if it comes down to tC or xA, it's easy. Do you want to pay $3,500 more for a smaller car with a bigger engine? Do you need 4-doors and good gas mileage, or do you need to race civics and beat them?

I chose economy and function over speed. I love to cruise with 4 comfortable passengers, lots of cargo space and get 35 mpg. I couldn't care less about a riced out civic being "faster" than me off the stoplight, I'm in no hurry.

But that's just me......

-THE DON
Old 04-22-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's more than just a smaller car and bigger engine. See my post above for the differences in standard options.

- larger wheels (17" - which are also alloy, xA has steel wheels with covers as standard option)
- cruise control
- remote keyless entry
- outsite temp monitor
- probably others

Of course, some of the items may be more trivial than others... but the wheels, keyless entry, and cruise are big things for me.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my girlfriend drives an xa so i've driven both a lot. the tc is just an all-around nicer car. plus, its the only car designed specifically for scion. they really went all out on it. its an amazing price for the amount of car you get. seriously, just look up at the all glass roof.

i say go test-drive them both. find a dealer that will let you get on it a bit, and you'll see the difference in performance. aside from being faster, the tc is a lot smoother in it's shifts. (we both have 5 speeds).
Old 04-22-2005, 08:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
Of course, some of the items may be more trivial than others... but the wheels, keyless entry, and cruise are big things for me.
The sunroof is one of my favorite features.

Quick Reply: tC or xA? apples and oranges, I know...