2005-2010 [ANT10]

tC's A/C is Weak..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default a/c

i'd have to agree the a/c is pretty weak. the tC can get pretty hot inside due to the thin moonroof panels. i live in south florida and it can get pretty hot and humid here. it took about 5-6 minutes before it started blowing decent cool air but that's after 5 minutes of sweating.
Old 07-13-2004, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm hope they fix it in the 06 model. :D but seriously they tC isn't tropicalized. and a large percentage of North America isn't known 4 it's helish weather. ok it's not as great as your Bently's what do you suggest they do. Do you want your money back? was it making icicles when you bought it. maybe you should have gone with the g35 or the bmw 6 series coupe.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCiONYDE
yeah its AC...but what the hell ... it runs, but you campared it not me. It doens't get as cold that quick . Wanna complain go to www.Iloveto_____andcomplainlikemylilsis.com
is that english?
Old 07-13-2004, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn, there are some _______s in this forum who make insults before they provide constructive help. Anyway, the A/C on my tC is better than in my old Bimmer. Maybe you guys should have it checked because the second I turn on the fan, with the dial all the way to the left, the car cools up in less than a minute. And I'm gonna have to agree with the fact that an A/C is a pretty universal thing among cars. A Bentley is not going to have that much better A/C than a Hyundai or a Kia. We're not talking powertrain here.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Open a freakin window!
Buy a sunshade and leave the sunroof cracked!
Maybe we should look into aftermarket ac mods, smaller flywheel on the compressor
Or this:
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/seatvenheats.html
or this:
http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/noname30.html

But on a serious note for those of us that are too cold for 4 months out of the year, you can get aftermarket heated seats for under $100 bucks...
Old 07-13-2004, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

in regards to all of your A/C problems..

does anyone know that the tC comes with an A/C cutoff when you are accelerating. This is to solve the issue of HP drain when you have the A/C on max. Are the people complaining about the A/C not working starting the cars and then just driving off at top speed and then wondering why its not cold. If so this may be the problem and it can be cured if you just know that this is the system.

Start the car let it cool down....and then go racing ...

Peace,

Hugh C.
Suburban Scion
Old 07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey does anyone own the solar-powered window vent? i've seen it before but have never actually tried it out i wonder if it works, or if it's just one of those sharper-image-pieces-of-crap-that-cost-another-$30.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:08 PM
Banned
SL Member

Yes, it's very,very weak!
Old 07-13-2004, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by detroitscion
in regards to all of your A/C problems..

does anyone know that the tC comes with an A/C cutoff when you are accelerating. This is to solve the issue of HP drain when you have the A/C on max. Are the people complaining about the A/C not working starting the cars and then just driving off at top speed and then wondering why its not cold. If so this may be the problem and it can be cured if you just know that this is the system.

Start the car let it cool down....and then go racing ...

Peace,

Hugh C.
Suburban Scion

Nope... I turn on the car sit there for a little while, while i put on the a/c, seatbelt, cd, and then adjust the mirrors. and then drive off at a reasonable speed. the a/c blows warm air for quite some time. at least higher than average compared to most cars that i've been in that are similar.

and i'm guessing most of the people that don't have a problem with the a/c probably live up north and have their car in a garage or something and take it out early in the morning or at night.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This has been addressed in about 6 other threads. The A/C system in the tC is crappy. We all know this. Accept it and move along.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:20 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mudd
This has been addressed in about 6 other threads. The A/C system in the tC is crappy. We all know this. Accept it and move along.
Its a valid problem....If a owner is having cooling problems....let him speak...as do the rest of you boy taking MODs....no one told you get over it and move one...
Old 07-13-2004, 05:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if you people are keeping the roof open or not when you have your A/C on? I'll admit it's not the COLDEST car I've ever been in, but when the roof is closed and windows are up, and it's cool enough for me.
Old 07-13-2004, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How is this topic still going on? Just bought my tC last saturday, and the AC is great. So far it's been a must up here almost everyday, and it cools the whole cabin in about 1-2 mins flat. Maybe you have a hose leak somewhere? When I had my Matrix I had to insulate the AC piping to get a satisfactory temperature when using the AC. So far so good with the tC. It sounds like you're having a warranty problem and I would take it in to get it serviced. Probably just first-year-production woes. *shrugs*
Old 07-13-2004, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Giravani
How is this topic still going on? Just bought my tC last saturday, and the AC is great. So far it's been a must up here almost everyday, and it cools the whole cabin in about 1-2 mins flat. Maybe you have a hose leak somewhere? When I had my Matrix I had to insulate the AC piping to get a satisfactory temperature when using the AC. So far so good with the tC. It sounds like you're having a warranty problem and I would take it in to get it serviced. Probably just first-year-production woes. *shrugs*
I just drove 2 Tc's in Cincinnati OH under high humidity conditions and the A/C seemed fine to me compared with my current 96 Civic EX A/C with 140000 miles.

HOWEVER, please see my signature for what I suggest you do next since some of the Tc's coming off the assembly line MAY have an A/C issue......
Old 07-13-2004, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no the ac is fine just after the compressor starts to kick in
i would just suggest wut everybody else suggested
roll down your windows until it starts to get cool but at a one bar then when it feels cool bring a/c up then you shoul feel comfortable
Old 07-13-2004, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCiONYDE
Yeah... I just traded in my Maybach and it had better AC than the tC...as well as the seats in comparison! Cheap ___ tC.

{That statement is just as bad as the person who compares the tC to a WRX....You cant compare....diff price class idiot... Its like comparing the above.}
The WRX is based on an economy car. I doubt the AC compressor is vastly different from that found in other Imprezas. Besides, doesn't the tC share it's engine with the Camry? That's a midsized sedan.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i work at a toyota dealer

i deal with people like this ALL the time

the a/c works just fine, stick a thermometer in there it will be under 45 degrees within a minute

it might not make the cabin feel cold fast but the a/c is not weak

so my case in point, if your complaining.... complain right
Old 07-14-2004, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ?

Originally Posted by mach5

the a/c works just fine, stick a thermometer in there it will be under 45 degrees within a minute

are you serious?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Today was the first day I drove the car to work and left it sitting in the sun for eight plus hours. The temp was in the mid 90s (typical July in San Antonio, Texas). Anyway, I agree with the general concensus that it takes too damn long for the car to really cool down. I'm not sure, however, that the cause is the result of a weak A/C.
The air coming from the vent felt cool, but the interior itself took several minutes to get comfortable. (I plan on grabbing a probe and checking the temp of the air against my Highlander's A/C).

Maybe the problem is that because the dark interior and the glass roof, the interior gets way too hot. I wonder if any of you with tint in the hot climates can offer a comparison. Tomorrow I'll try a covered parking space ans see if that makes a difference.

Additionally, the center vents are hard to aim (at least for a guy my height, 5'7''). I like the air to blow directly at my head and torso. Because I sit low in the car, when I angle the vents so that the air is aimed directly at me, they are almost closed.

One last observation, the driver side door vent ket panning to the right. At first I thought it was one of those rotating vents, but then I notived it only turned in one direction and then stopped. Really annoying when I was trying to get the air aimed directly at me. I'll be calling the dealer on this one (my guess is something is slightly loose).
Old 07-14-2004, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mach5

I did a comparison between IS300's and tC's A/C, and you know what? tC's took forever to cool down the cabin, IS300's took only a couple seconds.
It had the same outside temp.
If you still think tC's A/C is not weak, you can try it yourself.
There is no point to debate with an ignorant person like you.

note: I didn't use climate control to cool down the cabin on the IS300.

Quick Reply: tC's A/C is Weak..