Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

ticket for front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:19 PM
SL Member

i got pulled over last sunday for not having a front plates... the officer was cool and just gave me a warning.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

In some states, the law states that if your car does not come facotry wth a front plate mount, or predrilled holes, then by law you are not required to have one. This is how my friend with his mazda speed six get away with it, i filled my holess and i havent been bothered, but its knly been a couple of months....
Old 07-12-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah i'm just frustrated that I got a ticket. oh well. So to get it signed off so that it only costs $10, would I just go to the police department and ask a cop to come out and take a look? or should I take a picture and print it out?

*after I put the plates back on of course
Old 07-12-2007, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Saint51
In some states, the law states that if your car does not come facotry wth a front plate mount, or predrilled holes, then by law you are not required to have one. This is how my friend with his mazda speed six get away with it, i filled my holess and i havent been bothered, but its knly been a couple of months....
anyone know if this applies to Cali? cause if it does thatd be great :D
Old 07-12-2007, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i was actually told by a guy from cali... but i only checked for accuacy in NV. so i would just go online and look up license plate laws..
Old 07-12-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ADRdesignCo
anyone know if this applies to Cali? cause if it does thatd be great :D
No, there are no exceptions that I've heard of. I've even had several dealers tell me they're not allowed to sell the vehicle or have the customer drive off without them having the plate holder (holes/screws/bracket/frame/whatever) installed. I'm not certain whether that's true or not (possibly BS), but you're definitely not "exempt" from the requirement just because the car doesn't have a 'factory' place for a plate. And there are also other rules pertaining to it, such as vertical & horizontal placement.

And if you get a ticket for no front plate, then decide to pay $25 (rather than showing them it's 'fixed' and only paying $10), that doesn't mean you've paid a "tax" or in any way imply that you then don't require a plate. They can write you another ticket for the same thing, just like if you show the fix and subsequently remove the plate afterward.

If you want to live & drive in this state, there are only 2 choices, display the plate as req'd, or play the get-ticket/pay-fine game repeatedly. Of course one of the state's motivating factors is income generated by 'photo-radar', as they can't send you a ticket for running the red light if the camera shows a bumper w/o a plate.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

May want to just install it and avoid the hassle? It takes much mroe work trying to find loop holes that are not there. I would just install it and move on.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

nodsetse.. according to law they cant sell it off without the holes (i asked them when i bought my tC), but they let me anyway. lol. well i guess back to zipties
Old 07-13-2007, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

According to all the officers that I've spoken to in California, you're required to have your front license plate attached to the front of your car, so it can't be inside your car.

I only asked because the DMV never sent me a front plate, I only got one in the mail. I like the plate numbers/letters I have now, so I'm not going back to the DMV to get a new set. They won't just send me a front plate. =( Oh well, this is a chance that I'm willing to take, especially since when I go to my friend's apartment complex, I have to give them my plate number to get a temporary parking permit.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific

SL Member

If you're in Cali, you must read this --> https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=165444

Front license plate has to mounted on the front bumper regardless if there are factory mounting points or not. Plates cannot be in the front windshield, nor can they be covered in any way (by glass, plastic, etc.).

And yes, if you are parked on public property you can receive a ticket.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
Originally Posted by yellowxboy
i used to have my plate on the window but my dad said "wut if you do a sudden stop or get in an accident and the plate comes straight for your passenger's neck or head?"

yikers. hahaha mortal combat baby..
That is a very good of your dad to say that. I forgot how much force gets applied when you get into a car accident but in one class in college we figured that out. Put is this way .... if you get into a horrible accident and it leaves a seatbelt impression on your chest .... what do you think a razor sharp license plate will do? I really don't want to think about it.
You guys do realize that in a frontal collision or any sudden stop, the plate would go forward, not backwards. It's still not safe to have it on the dash though. With the incredible acceleration of the Scion tC, pulling away from a stop light could decapitate your passenger!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott8
I thought you had to be on a street driving your car to get pulled over for no front plate? I got pulled over and the cop gave me a no front plate ticket instead of speeding. $50 in IL for no front plate!!!!
No, its like city stickers here in chicago, the police can come into private lots and give tickets for both plate and city sticker. Lately since they have been putting up so many red light cameras, the dept of revenue has those vans with the cameras on it that automatically tell them if you have too many parking tickets, no front plate etc.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ADRdesignCo
nodsetse.. according to law they cant sell it off without the holes (i asked them when i bought my tC), but they let me anyway. lol. well i guess back to zipties
Ya, I heard the same thing. And zip ties is right, I stuck some plugs in the bumper holes and have the plate mounted under the bumper, in front of the lower grille, with zip ties. Looks much cleaner, still technically attached to the bumper, and I hope it meets the minimum height requirement, but don't know for sure.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by matt_a
You guys do realize that in a frontal collision or any sudden stop, the plate would go forward, not backwards. It's still not safe to have it on the dash though. With the incredible acceleration of the Scion tC, pulling away from a stop light could decapitate your passenger!

Hahaha, wow how did I miss that.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.eight08customs.com/v2/

If you dont want to drill ur bumper and still need to mount ur front plate. He leads Scion Evolution out here, and his service is second to none.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ah the "front plate" law, the same situation exists for me here in TX.
Although I'm not concerned with state law pertaining to that. To me its butt-ugly to have a front plate and I will NOT mount one even under pain of death.

Cops around here simply use it as a(n):
Excuse to pull you over when they need to look like they are doing something.
Reflective target for Radar & Lidar guns.
Auto ID's for red light cameras.
Extra write up on a ticket your already getting.

Its not a moving violation, so no points get added to your license, and if you *ahem* "fix" it and show a dated photo of it, the fine is reduce to $10 court cost.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member

well i lived in vallejo,ca and i had no plate in the front and the cops said nothing to me, plus i kno cops and they said i had to have one but i never put one on.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$65 in Iowa man
Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

Originally Posted by jwaggz82
Originally Posted by yellowxboy
i used to have my plate on the window but my dad said "wut if you do a sudden stop or get in an accident and the plate comes straight for your passenger's neck or head?"

yikers. hahaha mortal combat baby..
That is a very good of your dad to say that. I forgot how much force gets applied when you get into a car accident but in one class in college we figured that out. Put is this way .... if you get into a horrible accident and it leaves a seatbelt impression on your chest .... what do you think a razor sharp license plate will do? I really don't want to think about it.
basicly its like this, if you weigh say 100 pounds, and your going 1 mph and you slam on your breaks you weigh 100 pounds, but if your going 2 or 3 mph your weight when you slam on those breaks is 200 or 300 pounds, for every 1 mph your weight or the object's weight doubles, 60 mph for a 10 pound item is 600 pounds or a 1 pound item (liscence plate?) 60 pounds
Old 07-15-2007, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya, its just not safe to have a loose metal object in your car which can become a projectile.

just put the plate on, every car has one, its not ugly.

Quick Reply: ticket for front license plate