2005-2010 [ANT10]

Totaled???

Old 10-18-2006, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Totaled???

I just had a pretty bad car accident this last Saturday. I rear ended somebody. I was minding my own business in my lane approaching a traffic light, I looked down at my gps for no more then a second, and when I look up there was a Dodge Neon about 10 feet in front of me. I had no time to stop, I did slam on the brakes and left skid marks about 5 feet long before I hit her. She had no reason to turn into my lane and be that close to me and that slow, there was atleast 100-120 feet in front of her before she had to stop. As proof of that, before I looked down, I noticed the light turning yellow and a car slowing down to stop, at that time I was atleast 150 feet away, so I let off the gas and was coasting, and I NEVER look down unless I'm am sure it is absolutely safe to do so, meaning there is nothing in front of me and no reason to worry that if I look down for no more then a second that something will get in my way. Anyway, I hit her and her car went rolling another 30-40 feet before she stopped, showing that she had plenty of space in front of her and that she didn't have to slow down and be that close to me.

What my question is, is my car totaled? I have quite a bit of front end damage. My airbags did not go off because I am lowered and the Dodge Neon has a high rear end, so my bumper went under hers, right above the safety beam.

I do not want anyone to tell my that I should not look away from the road or any lectures on how I should drive. I'm already hurt enough that my car is messed up, and I just had a hernia surgery about 3 weeks ago and the belt holding me back didn't feel so good, although it is probably better then hitting a steering wheel.

I would appreciate any input from body shop people or any experts in the field that might know if my car will be totaled. And another question is, what is the cut-off line that the insurance would use to see if it's worth repairing or not, or is it the repairs have to be more then the car is worth to be totaled, because that doesn't make sense for a new car. If that were the case, you could never really total a lamborghini, right?

[img[/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]

Sorry if some of the pictures look like they are the same, they are all different, I just had a tear in my eye when I took the pictures and when I was selecting the ones to put on here.[/code]
Old 10-18-2006, 06:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Doesnt seem totaled but insurance will probably will give you cash for another car so this car is probably going to get the salavage title. Im sorry dude glad your ok
Old 10-18-2006, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

not totalled.. and it depends on your insurance..

i would say tell them to total it.. since u dont wanna drive a salvaged car..
Old 10-18-2006, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think, as much as it would hurt to lose my car, that I want it to be totaled. I don't think the car would be the same if it was just repaired.

Thanks, yeah I'm ok for the most part. My heart just hurts a little.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

had the same damage as you.. and a very bad rear end.. (new hatch) i think the estimate on yours is gonna be around $8,000 to $9,000

and i think we kill the warranty on accident? can someone straight that up for me..
Old 10-18-2006, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Losing a warranty after an accident is like pouring lemon juice in a paper cut. I already hurt enough, give me a break.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

What does having a salvage title mean anyway? I've had a totlaed car before, so I know what that's all about, but never a salvage, which is a good thing.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Salvage just had some extensive damage but can drive but insuarances dont wanna go with the problems repairing it and just give it that title and sell it cheap. You had a totaled car before totaled means it wont drive lol.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

in all honesty i dont think that it is totalled. judging by the pics it looks like hte frame really wasnt damaged, and since most of your body parts are still intact, especially your front bumper..

however, the way my insurance considers a car "totalled" is:

say your car's market value is 20k and it is gonna cost about 17k to fix the car, they will and should most likely total it because that is just an estimate and their may be some hidden damage. however by looking at the condition of your car i would say that it would take about 10-12k to fix it, since everything looks fine, and the suspension even sits strait.

good luck tho man, with that kind of damage you should really sell it.

p.s: i also advise you to take the pics off the site until you are for sure your car is totalled, that is why i havent put pics of my accident.. pm me if you want info
Old 10-18-2006, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

djrza786,

First off, I’m glad that you’re doing okay. As I tell all my customers, their health and well-being is the most important thing to have coming out of an accident. Unfortunately, I can't access your pictures as I’m on my work computer (stupid restrictions), so I can’t share my opinion on whether your vehicle is totaled or not.

In reality, you can’t really “tell” your insurance company to total your car. Generally, the insurance company will obtain a market value for your vehicle and subtract/add appropriate salvage values/tax/fees/etc - cost to total vehicle. Then they will (or should) complete an estimate on the damages to the car and may also add in a cost of a rental or open items (potentially further damaged items) - cost to repair vehicle. At that point, whichever is cost effective will be the path of choice for the most part.

Also, your vehicle will not have a “salvage” title if the vehicle is not “totaled”. The only way this would happen is if your insurance company advised that the vehicle is a total loss but you decided to retain the salvage for the vehicle and repair it yourself.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM if you have any more questions.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

07SilverTC, thanks for the info, that clears some stuff up.

Well, the market value on my car in excellent condition is about $17,000, good condition is $16,000, and fair condition is $15,000. If the damages are around $10-12,000, then what do you guys think if they say my car is in good condition. By looking at it up close, it looks about $10-12,000 in damage to me. There is a lot of little stuff messed up, aside from the body panels, like everything right behind the radiator, the ABS brain, exhaust manifold, and the whole engine looks like it's being pushed back, and I have an Ingall's Stiffy on it too.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah they usually give salvage titles if they insurance didnt repair the car. But if they repair it you will have a clean title but just with the report that you had a crash.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just don't want to get screwed on this. If I sell the car if they repair it, then I will lose money because I owe more then it's worth. I would rather it be totaled.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No I do not believe that it is totalled... the damage looks to be all on the topside , most likely no damage to it's structual integrity..in other words , looks to be just the tin is mashed ...unless the engine is tore all to dawg dung..ie: broken half shafts/motor mounts and so on..
just my 1.75 cents worth

keep yer chin up...after all I've dun worse...**** ended a NEW Lambo gt. with a vw bug...now THAT was SPENDY!.. Allstate cancelled me and my Parents even tho it was my insurance policy.... not theirs!!!!

[never did tell the cops or the insurance co. what the girlfriend was doing to distract me tho]
Old 10-18-2006, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

saddlesore, I think the motor mounts are gone. When I got the car, the guy at the dealership told me there is a safety feature that lets the engine drop in a front-end collision so it doesn't go through the firewall. You can't really tell from the pictures, but the engine is not where it's supposed to be.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bummers all around then... unless they have "breakaway" mounts, those would lessen the chances of struct. damages...just wait and see what the big boys have to say.

good luck
Old 10-18-2006, 07:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah, they are breakaway mounts, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully they will call me tomorrow and let me know what's up.

You guys are like therapy. All the emotional support is very kind from all of you. Thank you.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

And I'm not trying to get all emotional with you guys, I just really love my car, it's hard to see it the way it is. I get upset when someone even parks next to me
Old 10-18-2006, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look at it this way....at least YOU didn't get bit......LOL
Old 10-18-2006, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got rear ended last night, in my girlfriend's car.. Not fun times.
Approx. 25-30mph, lady didn't even try to stop.

Everybody needs to pay a little more attention out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Totaled???