Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Totaled???

Old 10-22-2006, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

well i got in accident and my rust/paint/corrosion warranty is gone from toyota.. BUT i got lifetime warranty instead from the body shop.. and i dunno about the mechanical stuff
Old 10-22-2006, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well I guess that's ok for you, you got lifetime warranty instead of whatever Toyota gives. I might have to call up the dealership and see what they say.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

5300 pff that's right on the ball, what u need is a hood n bumper(+painting) some lamps, front support, radiator maybe? it's not bad at all. U shouldn't feel a difference after it being fixed.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by dziuniek
5300 pff that's right on the ball, what u need is a hood n bumper(+painting) some lamps, front support, radiator maybe? it's not bad at all. U shouldn't feel a difference after it being fixed.
Dude, trust me, it needs A LOT more then that. The pictures don't show everything real well. Along with what you mentioned, it needs new fenders, definetly needs a radiator, radiator fans, exhaust manifold heatshield, battery, battery holder, my CAI is dented from the battery so that needs to be replaced, the ABS system is being pushed into the coolant tank, possibly new motor mounts, and maybe structural straightening. I haven't heard back yet from the shop, but that's what the first shop said, that it needs to be straightened. I think it's a little more then $5,300.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I would hope for a total out from your insurance. A wrecked car is a big loser for value and from the pix looks like you have some extensive damage. Wouldnt you just prefer a new car. From the tone of your post you didnt seem to. Either way, I would try to cut my loss and get into a new car. Either way, thats a bummer man, hope it all works out for you.

Hey, at least you have an excuse now for drinking before noon.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

did it drive after the accident?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jakedudeta
I would hope for a total out from your insurance. A wrecked car is a big loser for value and from the pix looks like you have some extensive damage. Wouldnt you just prefer a new car. From the tone of your post you didnt seem to. Either way, I would try to cut my loss and get into a new car. Either way, thats a bummer man, hope it all works out for you.

Hey, at least you have an excuse now for drinking before noon.
I would rather it be totaled so I can just get a new car. I'm more or less not trying to get too excited for that because it might not be totaled. Hopefully I'll find out by tomorrow if it is totaled or not.

did it drive after the accident?
I don't know, I don't think it would. The car shut off right after the accident and I didn't try to restart it after that, it was leaking coolant all over the place. I didn't want to try to start it because I didn't know what would happen if I did, and even if it did start, I couldn't drive it like that, I can't see out of the windsheild with the hood like that.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

anyways i got my car repaired and the bumpers and fenders didnt fit the same anymore... gaps lines and stuff...
Old 10-23-2006, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

When the shop did the estimate, did they tear the car down, because that is really the only way to know what is going on with the damage. The original estimate may be low, then they write what is called a Supplement to the estimate, which yes could increase the estimate by thousands just depending. No one can write a correct estimate just by looking at the damage without tearing the car down.

Once someone gets your car apart they will truely know what is going on but I really don't think its gonna total.

You will loose some value on a trade (its called Diminished Value), you are legally obligated to disclose that it has been in accident should you trade it in, if you don't (and you can choose to just not say anything) it is called Fraud, you can be sued, fined and/or put in jail.

As I said in my earlier post, a good body shop estimater or manager will tell you whether or not to fix it. I will tell you that I have seen a cars with the entire front clip of the car that was removed and replaced, the car was structurally fine, the frame rails and core supports (where the radiator sits) are made to be REPLACED on cars. Back in the day things used to be repaired, now they are replaced. Auto body technicians now a days do very few repairs... they do more replacing.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the airbags would have went off, that would have added a couple thousand to the damage value right off the bat, which would help in the descion of it being totaled. I had a '99 cougar hit a pole (don't ask) and since the airbags went off, about 2+ grand, it was considered totaled. BTW, that was 6 days after I got it.