Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

VERY MUSHY BRAKES!!! CRAPPY STOPING POWER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member

Default VERY MUSHY BRAKES!!! CRAPPY STOPING POWER!!!

Anyone one out there have the same problem i have with the tC. The brakes are so damn mushy i cant help but hate it.

I hope all tC's are like that. I almost had an accident on the damn freeway from the crappy stoping power.

Ok the real question is...
Will new brake pads help or do i need new brake calipers.

If so what kind of brakes should i get.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont think the brakes on the tC are the worst I have ever felt, but if you prefer to decrease your stopping distance, and are willing to spend the money, I would reccommend going for the big brake kit by Stop Tech I believe.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brakes work just fine for me. I drove a honda accord and the brakes on that doesn't allow for much distance from light-stop to full brake lock.

Mushy Brakes = Air in line. It's possible your brake fluid cap is not on all the way or a calipur has gone bad. Look for any brake fluid around the car on the ground/cement.

Take it to a dealer.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i notice this all the time. i slide past every stop sign that i try stopping at. the tC brakes in my opinion aren't as good as the ones i had on my ford escape or the ones on my subaru.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brakes work fine for me.

You two need to stop following so closely and try to brake a bit before the stop signs...ha ha ha ha...
Old 04-13-2005, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

The brakes are good on Tc, especially it's got ABS, I think you shoud go to dealer, might be something wrong with your brakes, my Tc had to be changed stearing column at around 7000kmi. Go to dealer
Old 04-13-2005, 10:06 PM
5 Year Member

I about lost it on my test drive, but since I've gotten the car I don't have any trouble with it. My other car has an even softer pedal feel so I guess it wasn't hard for me. The tC is a little deceptive as to how fast you are going. On that test drive I was going a lot faster than I thought I was when I went to turn off.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The breaks are are little soft. But on a positive side, it also feels more comfortable. Not sure if that is a good thing for breaks, but It doesnt really bother me.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Under warrenty take to dealer and have them check it out for free. Please do this and don't wreck a beautiful car and take a chance of getting hurt. Its free!
Old 04-13-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if the brakes aren't broken in properly they can end up getting glazed and not have the stopping power they're supposed to.. that can lead to the impression the brakes aren't that good. you should take it to the dealer and complain of the lack of stopping power.. chances are they might find that roughing up the disc surface as well as the brake pad surface is required.. and call scion about it too..
Old 04-13-2005, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hmmm....

Well, I think people are just expecting too much for the price they paid. Going like 100+ and want to stop on a dime.

Most big brake kits I see just upgrades the rotors which I don't think will do ____... might be all in the head. Or if its slotted/vented and/or drilled it might be cooler and prevent warping but other than that?

If the kits comes with bigger and more piston calipers now your talking....

What does the tC have? Single piston calipers? Getting a bigger rotor will increase surface area but if the caliper is still the same whats the difference is that going to make?
Old 04-13-2005, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Hmmm....

Originally Posted by RanmaP
Well, I think people are just expecting too much for the price they paid. Going like 100+ and want to stop on a dime.

Most big brake kits I see just upgrades the rotors which I don't think will do ____... might be all in the head. Or if its slotted/vented and/or drilled it might be cooler and prevent warping but other than that?

If the kits comes with bigger and more piston calipers now your talking....

What does the tC have? Single piston calipers? Getting a bigger rotor will increase surface area but if the caliper is still the same whats the difference is that going to make?
The stop tech big brake kit comes with bigger, slotted rotors, new 4 piston calipers, stainless steel brake lines, and axxis ultimate brake pads. Only drawback is the price of 1,535.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah I feel that too!
I thought it was my problem feeling the brake, glad its not, somebody feel it too
Old 04-13-2005, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: VERY MUSHY BRAKES!!! CRAPPY STOPING POWER!!!

Originally Posted by Xxgosumastaxx
...The brakes are so damn mushy i cant help but hate it...I almost had an accident on the damn freeway from the crappy stoping power...Will new brake pads help or do i need new brake calipers.
maybe the dealer has to bleed the system. pads should make the biggest improvement on an otherwise stock brake system. i have used porterfield r4s pads before and they stop on a dime every time on the street. or try ebc green stuff. or slow down ;)
Old 04-13-2005, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

but like i said earlier, if glazing is present then the car would not stop correctly.. just keep going..

brake pads will make a difference if there isn't glazing, of course.. I would 2nd the motion for Porterfield R4S (street formula).. only thing i found with the R4S, the pad will last forever, but ever so often you'll end up going through stock brake discs.. but the pads are awesome..
Old 04-15-2005, 03:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sciontc_mich
but like i said earlier, if glazing is present then the car would not stop correctly.. just keep going..

brake pads will make a difference if there isn't glazing, of course.. I would 2nd the motion for Porterfield R4S (street formula).. only thing i found with the R4S, the pad will last forever, but ever so often you'll end up going through stock brake discs.. but the pads are awesome..
so glazing doesnt thoroughly ruin the pads? it definately isn't good for them. the only time i ate the rotors with r4s is when i let it go down to the backing plate (no wear tab) ;P
Old 04-15-2005, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So how much are these pads going to cost me?

any idea?

JaS>
Old 04-15-2005, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yesti
so glazing doesnt thoroughly ruin the pads? it definately isn't good for them. the only time i ate the rotors with r4s is when i let it go down to the backing plate (no wear tab) ;P
yeah the r4s are better on the brembo OEM rotors i put on the old civic than the Honda ones.. It was probably eating the honda ones since they were kinda cheap to begin with.. in quality that is..

Glazing isn't good for pads, not at all, but thing is it is just a "glaze" and can be removed with a little sand paper.. yeah i forgot about the r4s not having a wear tab, but they wear so slowly when i had them, it just required a look when the tires were rotated to see where they were..

Jason.. they are just beginning to get the pads for the scion at porterfield.. i think they are between $80-90 for a front set.. have to give them a call and see what they have available for the rear.. since our car is similar to the celica and mr2 brakes.. i'd guess about $70-80 for the rears.. they were well worth it before.. great material..
Old 04-15-2005, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the brakes are awesome...it's just that toyotas always have a luxury brake, with a softer feel...i like it...unlike my dad's hyundai, its scary, the brakes jolt you, no leadway with them
Old 04-15-2005, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You could always get stainless steel brake lines in addition to your upgraded pads. That will help.

Quick Reply: VERY MUSHY BRAKES!!! CRAPPY STOPING POWER!!!