Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

weird shifting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member

Default weird shifting issue

Anyone else notice this? I did a search and could not find exactly what I was looking for. Here is what I notice with my 5-speed.

Step on the accelator, and I don't mean pressing it to the floor, but push it down maybe half way. Takes like half a second for the gas to actually work. Push in the clutch. Takes about half a second for the RPM's to actually drop. This makes for wierd jerky shifting.

I have driven many sticks from a camaro, have had 2 trucks with v8's and even my '82 CJ7 jeep which I just sold last week. Not a single one of them did this. Push the pedal and it is pretty much instant response. Push in the clutch, same thing.

Is there something wrong with my tC or is this just how the car is? It actually took me a bit of playing around trying to figure out why my shifting is so "jerky" now. At first I just chalked it up to new car feel but after messing around with it for a bit I don't think that is it any longer. Just wondering if anyone else notices this with their car or if I need to make a call to the dealer.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

With most Japanese cars there is a great deal of play in the throttle cable. You can actually cut the cable and re-wire it to fit perfectly, but I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you know what you're doing. People have been doing it on hondas for a while, you can probably find a walk through for one of them.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

From what I understand (And i may be wrong) the tC uses a throttle-by-wire setup. This means that the EFI is controlled by the computer based on the angle of depression of the gas pedal.

Whereas older cars use a throttle-by-cable meaning that there is a physical cable connected to the gas pedal and to the throttle body.

By using the computer, it acutally takes more time for it to supply fuel and stop supplying fuel to the engine. But later on down the line this can be modified. Especially when/if you decide to go with a turbo.

Keep in mind I am not an expert this is just what I have read in the past.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh crap, I totally forgot about that. That is true, the only way you're going to get better throttle responce is by modifying the computer.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've noticed this too and it takes a lot of fun out of driving the car IMHO. Coming from an Integra GSR, which was way more responsive in both of those departments, it makes the tCs response seem kinda Ford Taurus-like.

The reason it takes a while for the RPMs to drop isn't because of any kind of electrical bs like the throttle cable, it's because of the super heavy flywheel that's on the tCs. When some super light weight flywheels come out for the tC that'll be an awesome upgrade and will get rid of that problem.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

from my understanding the TC has electronic throttle control, which would result in a *slight* delay
Old 11-30-2004, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Surely you jest. Delay for electronics? I doubt it. The same closed loop systems are used in military aircraft, there's no delay. However, if you read the New Car Features, there is a description of the throttle valve control and it is not a simple linear actuator responding precisely to your foot. It's a DWIMNWIS (do what I mean not what I say) system. The throttle valve opens to maintain high intake velocity and actually improves throttle response.

There are issues with the drive by wire. Try holding a steady 15 mph speed in second gear. The car acts as though it has bad gear lash, but it isn't gear lash at all ( I know gear lash very well), it is either the ECM control of the throttle blade being indecisive or a fuel cut function in the ECM program. Shifting to third solves the problem, but third is a bit high for 15 - 20 mph.

If you think a light flywheel is a solution to this problem, you are kidding yourself. BTDT. After you stall the engine for the third time not even 5 miles from home, you'll be seriously rethinking that hot rod clutch and 11 lb flywheel. I have an HKS triple I'm ready to throw in the trash because it makes my Supra almost undriveable. It's even worse than the Mueller flywheel with RPS carbon claw.

The biggest improvement would be to reposition the brake and throttle for my size 12s to heel/toe effectively. Oh, yeah, I've been driving manuals for 38 years.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the bigger issue is that the gas pedal is the size of most people's thumb... But I suppose that's off topic.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by lo bux racer
Surely you jest. Delay for electronics? I doubt it. The same closed loop systems are used in military aircraft, there's no delay. However, if you read the New Car Features, there is a description of the throttle valve control and it is not a simple linear actuator responding precisely to your foot. It's a DWIMNWIS (do what I mean not what I say) system. The throttle valve opens to maintain high intake velocity and actually improves throttle response.

There are issues with the drive by wire. Try holding a steady 15 mph speed in second gear. The car acts as though it has bad gear lash, but it isn't gear lash at all ( I know gear lash very well), it is either the ECM control of the throttle blade being indecisive or a fuel cut function in the ECM program. Shifting to third solves the problem, but third is a bit high for 15 - 20 mph.

If you think a light flywheel is a solution to this problem, you are kidding yourself. BTDT. After you stall the engine for the third time not even 5 miles from home, you'll be seriously rethinking that hot rod clutch and 11 lb flywheel. I have an HKS triple I'm ready to throw in the trash because it makes my Supra almost undriveable. It's even worse than the Mueller flywheel with RPS carbon claw.

The biggest improvement would be to reposition the brake and throttle for my size 12s to heel/toe effectively. Oh, yeah, I've been driving manuals for 38 years.
The faux gear lash can get quite annoying in slow moving traffic, but I dont really get it any other time than that.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sounds to me you are not shifting at the appropriate times or you are not as fluent as you should be. I don't know much about the whole electronic deal, but if your footwork is off, you would have those issues you stated.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member

It is not the foot work. There is something wrong with the car. Put it in 3rd gear. let out the clutch and coast with the car running around 30-35 mph. Now, step on the gas. It does not react instantly. In gear, it is not a real big deal, but on a fast shift, IT IS HUGE!

Want another test. Put the car in 4th gear. Run it up to 50 mph. Now, let off the gas and step on the clutch. Notice that your engine revs high, and the tach hits 3k rather then dropping like every other stick in the world?

That is what I am talking about. I may not be the best driver in the world, but this is not a driver related issue.

Lance described it exactly to a T. Even the trying to putt around town in 2nd gear at 20 mph. The car lurches, cuts out, lurches, cuts out. Almost like you are stepping on the gas, letting off it, stepping on the gas, letting off it. Actually you are just barly giving it any gas at all, it just doesn't work right.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member

bump some interesting info..

i've had the car for 10 months and i have had the same problem cruising in 2nd at 20 mph, the car jerks, etc.... Shifting to 3rd does solve the problem but then when you try to gas it... it's slow to pickup because of the high gear...When I shift, it's still a little jerky too... Thought it was me driving but had several experienced manual drivers try and experienced the same problem... Any tips on shifting? =D i'm a noob...
Old 01-21-2006, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car does the same thing.... I just live with it.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's caused by the drive-by-wire system. it's a delay because of the computer, what did you expect for a $17k car?
try this, it might help a little with the delay...or get a supercharger and then you'll have your mind off worrying about the delay
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...643&highlight=
Old 01-21-2006, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

O someoen mentioned getting a lightweight flywheel also fixes this.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:16 PM
Banned
SL Member

whoever mentioned the flywheel probably gets a kickback from fidanza...that won't help your throttle delay.. With all the fancy technology in the car, hydrolic clutch and drive by wire, I think its well documented by now that there is a bit of electronic lag on the throttle. A grounding kit may help a bit..also theres some DIY pedal stop fixes that may help with the pedal free play, stop points, and catch points.

I just live with it, everyday..and want to kill myself over it! 17k for a car that doesn't shift (or handle) as well as my old 93 protege (pos)...grrr