Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Who's got the Extended Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member

Default Who's got the Extended Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty?

Is it worth getting? And if you got it how much did u get it for? When I bought my '06 TC 3 days ago the finance guy said he was hooking me up with a "Toyota Platinum" 7 year warranty for $2195 with no tax. Did I get a good deal? I can cancel the warranty if I want within 2 months stated by California Law.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the 7 year silver warranty, it pretty much covers everything that I would ever need. I paid $1250, I could have stepped up to the platinum but for the little amount of extra parts that were covered under that warranty it was not worth it.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just got the 7 year Platinum on my xB for 900.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You are basically betting on something breaking in your car...not sure if its a wise investment.

If you think your car is going to break, then why buy that particular car in the first place.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u got ripped off..that warranty goes for $1225 w/$50 deductible and $1275 w/no deductible. scion.com>own>protect your scion>extended service coverage>platinum. and it's not a bad idea to get this. it's just like insurance, u're not betting on something happening, u're gettin it in case something happens. it's a piece of mind thng. I still haven't decided if I want to get it. if I can throw it on in 6 months or so, when I refinance, I'll probably do that.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pacent
You are basically betting on something breaking in your car...not sure if its a wise investment.

If you think your car is going to break, then why buy that particular car in the first place.
Are you an idiot?
Old 07-17-2005, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy it only if you're planning on keeping your tC for more than 3 years. I'll probably upgrade to something nicer after the bumper to bumper runs out. You still get the 5 year power train after the bumper to bumper runs out.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, $2195 sounds a little much. I'm getting the best warranty my dealer has to offer (7 or 8 year) for merely $1100. It must vary.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Dealers can charge whatever they want for the extend warranty. The prices listed on scion.com are "suggested retail prices".
Old 07-18-2005, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

anytime a salesman or finance guy (same thing) says they are hooking you up, they are ripping you off. Check online at some of the toyota dealerships for your best price. I bet you can get almost half back.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

hope you don't plan on modding your car, cause that will only lead to problems when it comes to warranty work. me personally i didn't get it cause i knew that in a weeks time i would void my warranty.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The experts say to NOT get an extended warranty. I have had four new cars so far and never got the extended warranty and never needed it. Luck maybe but the odds are for cars (especially Toyota cars) that you will not need it. The tC is new but using the Camry engine which has been around for a long time. You will read stores about the person who car blew up right after the initial warranty and they lost their car. Yes, this happens but NOT often. For every one of these there are millions of cars that run normal for many years/miles.

But if it makes you sleep better at night, get the warranty but definitely read up on warranties because all warranties are not the same (ie. some warranties are not Toyota sold warranties but rather another company's one).

Kevin
Old 07-18-2005, 12:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm also thinking about this as an option, and have some opinions of my own.

Warranties are in general good things. There is nothing worse than having the AC unit go for no reason and have to shell out a thousand bucks in one shot on a 4 year old car. As mentioned above, just consider it mechanical insurance.

That said...

My wife had a 9 year old Celica (which we traded for teh TC, it had 110k miles and had had no mechanical work except services and ding repair. It ran like a dream.

We own a Jeep and I woudl say 50% of what goes wrong isn't covered by the most all encompassing jeep warranty we got (which was expensive)...that said the 50% that was has already paid for the warranty (hundred buck here hundred bucks there).

Final thoughts.

When i changed to Geico the other day (a wonderful thing in NJ) they offered me a warranty for something silly like $50 every 6 months - they said it was usually better than the dealer offered ones - I'm waiting for the paperwork. But that is also a BIG consideration. Warranties do not have to only come from teh car manafacturer - and often others have them cheaper (especially if they have them as part of an addon service.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member

Do not get the extendend warranty.. As fear says, experts recommend against it..
In any case.. at least do not get it right now.
You can add the extendend warranty at ANY time up untill your regular warranty runs out.
so, I would say:
1) GET YOUR MONEY BACK (You paid too much anyway)
2) See how your car goes.. if u have very little problems.. dont get it
3) if you have a lot of problems dont get it... replace your car.

I have NEVER bought any extended warranty from any company.. not usually worth the money
Old 07-18-2005, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by [LGS
Static]
You can add the extendend warranty at ANY time up untill your regular warranty runs out.
Is this statement true? Can any dealers on here verify this?

I'm strongly considering purchasing this as my car isn't quite 4 months old and it already has 7000+ miles on it. Also, this being a first year model car I'm sure there are things that can go wrong with it down the road and I don't want to be stuck like someone said in dropping a grand or so on an A/C unit for a car that is only 4 years old...or anything major like that.

Also, with that being said, do you have to purchase the warranty from the dealer in which your purchased the car, or can this be done at another dealer? A friend of my girlfriend works at a Toyota dealership in the area and they offer cheap extended warranties, >$800 if I remember correctly...

Just curious, thanks!
Old 07-18-2005, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had extended warranties on the last four cars I've owned, and have never needed it. I didn't bother with this car.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think the extended warranty can be purchased at anyother time than when you purchase the car. Insurance doesn't work like that
Old 07-18-2005, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe it can be purchased at any time, but only at time of signing can it be financed into your loan.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member

Yes it can. I used to work at the dealership I purchased it from and specifically asked if the ext war can be added later.. "Yes, you can add the extendended warranty at any point up to the end of your current warranty"

If he really wanted me to buy the ext war, he would have pulled the "nope, you must do it now" trick....
Old 07-18-2005, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member

[LGS]Static is correct, you can purchased an extended warranty after your car purchase. However, You cannot get it financed after the fact.

If you have already purchased the warranty, you can cancel it and get a pro-rated refund. However, if you financed the extended warranty with your car purchase and you decide to cancel the warranty later, the money goes back to your lender.

Quick Reply: Who's got the Extended Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty?