Notices
Scion tC 1G Owners Lounge
2005-2010 [ANT10]

Who's got the Extended Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bobotheclown
If you have already purchased the warranty, you can cancel it and get a pro-rated refund. However, if you financed the extended warranty with your car purchase and you decide to cancel the warranty later, the money goes back to your lender.
With Honda, if you buy the warranty and finance it, and you cancel, they will prorate it and the refund is sent to the car owner.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one thing breaks on your car and the extended warrenty basically pays for itself. i think its a smart move. experts dont own my car so i could care less what they say. its a real let down to have to pay $700 to get a little piece of plastic fixed just becasue your not covered. i finaced mine and increased my monthly payments a whopping $24 a month ...piece of mind is priceless.

Another thing to consider is the tC is a new car, not all the bugs have been ironed out. we've seen this happen such as exploding sunroofs to front wheel problems that cause the car to uncontrollably veer left.

ive also heard that performance parts DO NOT void your warrenty. if this is true or not, i dont know, im adding sway bars next month and that will be one question i ask my dealer.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member

Perf parts will void parts of the warranty IF they are not "official" parts..
TRD = OK
Old 07-18-2005, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by [LGS
Static]Perf parts will void parts of the warranty IF they are not "official" parts..
TRD = OK
Actually, the parts in question have to be proven to have caused the failure.

Originally Posted by Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act
Will adding after market products void my warranty?
The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fradulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warrany or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.312 administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dslrdave
Originally Posted by pacent
You are basically betting on something breaking in your car...not sure if its a wise investment.

If you think your car is going to break, then why buy that particular car in the first place.
Are you an idiot?
Yes...I am an idiot...troll

I also have an MBA degree. Buying a warranty is basically purchasing insurance. Insurance is bought to leverage risk. When you are purchasing a car, yes, you are taking a risk, hoping that car will not break down somewhere down the road. However, if you can manage that risk, then there is no reason for you to leverage it with a warranty.

Now, warranty companies are a business, and they are there to make money. In order for them to be profitable, they must sell warranties at a cost much higher than the total repair bills of all the cars they pay to fix. Now, since they deal with so many car repairs, they can negotiate with dealerships to get cars fixed at a rate lower than you and me. Regardless of this, on average, it would be cheaper for most people to not buy the warranty and either fix the problems that arise during the 7 year span themselves or take it to an indy mechanic. Most people who buy car warranties do not recoup the cost of the warranty to repairs (or else the warranty companies do not make any money and will go out of business.)

The car also comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. Any of the initial defects from the factory should already be fixed during this period. Certainly no extended warranty is going to cover wear and tear items.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jaydub
Static]Perf parts will void parts of the warranty IF they are not "official" parts..
TRD = OK
Actually, the parts in question have to be proven to have caused the failure.

Originally Posted by Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act
Will adding after market products void my warranty?
The Magnusson-Moss Warranty - Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975 protects consumers from such fradulent activity by new car dealers. Under this Act, aftermarket equipment that improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's orginial warranty, unless the warranty clearly states the addition of aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle's warrany or if it can be proven that the aftermarket device is the direct cause of the failure. The easiest way to check this is to look in your owner's manual under, "what is not covered". Under Magnusson-Moss Act a dealer must prove, not just vocalize, that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before they can deny warranty coverage. If they cannot prove such claim-or offer an explanation- it is your legal right to demand compliance with the warranty. The Federal Trade Commission (202.326.312 administers the Magnusson-Moss Act and monitors compliance with warranty law.
Do you know that the Magnusson-Moss act was put in place to protect dealerships as much as it is to protect the consumer? There is more to the Magnusson-Moss than what is seen here. Do you also know that under the Magnusson-Moss Act, the dealership can do whatever testing is necessary to try to prove the part you modified caused the failure. Furthermore, the cost of whatever testing that is done can be billed to the owner of the car!
Old 07-18-2005, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member

With Honda, if you buy the warranty and finance it, and you cancel, they will prorate it and the refund is sent to the car owner.
That's insteresting.

Most financial institutions prefer that the dealerships send the money to them once the warranty is cancelled since it is considered part of the collateral for the loan. The FI is considered the lien holder and realistically owns the car. Therefore the pro-rated refund is owed to the FI, not the car buyer.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You got taken on that one, in CA the Platnium 7yr 100k is $1250 on a tC, the dealers are not to mark up any of these products unless it is clearly posted in the dealership. Call Scion Corporate, cancel that contract and buy it at the price that was to be charged direct.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member

$600 for gold 6 year, just wanted a warranty until i pay it off
Old 07-18-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you know that the Magnusson-Moss act was put in place to protect dealerships as much as it is to protect the consumer? There is more to the Magnusson-Moss than what is seen here. Do you also know that under the Magnusson-Moss Act, the dealership can do whatever testing is necessary to try to prove the part you modified caused the failure. Furthermore, the cost of whatever testing that is done can be billed to the owner of the car!
Yes, as with most things there are always caveats and fine print, and the Magnusson-Moss act is no exception. I was attempting to post what I felt would be pertinant to this discussion, since trying to read through the M-M act as it is written is somewhat daunting for the casual reader...

It seems like with most things, attitude is key and if you treat the dealership like they're incompetent and subhuman, they won't go out of their way for you. There are always exceptions, and not all dealerships work by the Golden Rule, but I know my own experience has been that the dealerships with whom I was honest and cordial have always come through for me when I had a problem.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You get the warranty because of the unforgiving factor that your car might be that one in a million lemon...

It is up to the car gods if you need it or not...

I got the extended warranty because I wanted the SC and God knows what can or will go wrong with the car in time... Remember, you can transfer the warranty if you end up selling your car, hence a better selling point and at least an 80% cash back from it.

I know the SC will have its own separate warranty, but the extended will cover the rest.

Also it will only take that one transmission/engine thing to make the E.W. pay for itself in one trip to the service dept.

Better be safe then sorry I always say. It is always twisted Karma that you don't get warranty, and you end up wishing you had.

You just never know. No car is built the same, regardless of the manufacturer's reputation.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

To put it in better terms more people might understand here, its like playing blackjack and seeing the dealer put up an Ace vs your Queen-Ten. You have the option of buying insurance, but its not usually a good bet.

Of course, if your backjack bet is your entire life savings, and the cost of insurance is only half of that, some risk adverse people would take the insurance option and run.

However, if the bet was only 50 cents, then it is not in your best interest to pay 25 cents to buy insurance because the odds are just not in your favor.

Coming back to what I said before, if you can fully manage the risk, then it is not worth it to buy the warranty. If you cannot, and lord forbid, if your car breaks down out of warranty, and it puts you in a dire financial situation, then maybe you should look more closely at the warranty.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The car also comes with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty. Any of the initial defects from the factory should already be fixed during this period. Certainly no extended warranty is going to cover wear and tear items.
Technically it's 3 years or 36k miles, whichever comes first....

And with me already having 7k miles, I'll be thru the warranty by roughly next December ('06)...20 momths total for me...and I have until 2010 to pay the car off...I just think being that I'll be thru the warranty so quickly would make me ponder to purchase the extended warranty due to the time span in w hich the initial warranty expires...
Old 07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

intrepid design... re your question about performance parts... yes they are covered under the warranty as long as they are installed by the dealer. Found out last saturday that the super charger will be covered under the 5 yr 60K powertrain warranty and the extended too if it is purchased, as long as the dealer does the install.

As far as an extended warranty goes, I have always looked at it like this, while I have car payments, repair bills will be a problem, my theroy is to purchase the warranty for the payment period and no bills to worry about. When the car is paid off then I will be more able to afford repair bills, but by that time it will be time for a new toy to play with.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Static]
You can add the extendend warranty at ANY time up untill your regular warranty runs out.
I don't know about your Scion dealership's policy, but at the one where I bought my tC, they make you sign a waiver if you don't buy the extended warranty at the time of the automobile purchase, which indicates you will not have a chance to buy the extended warranty at a later time.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Static]
You can add the extendend warranty at ANY time up untill your regular warranty runs out.
I don't know about your Scion dealership's policy, but at the one where I bought my tC, they make you sign a waiver if you don't buy the extended warranty at the time of the automobile purchase, which indicates you will not have a chance to buy the extended warranty at a later time.
I'm sure it doesn't stop you from going to another dealership to purchase it, though.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fuzzy
Static]
I'm sure it doesn't stop you from going to another dealership to purchase it, though.
So it can be purchased thru another dealer then?!? That'd be great...
Old 07-20-2005, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the 6 year 72,000 and I regret it. But then again, who knows, Scion Tc is Accessorizable, so I can always upgrade parts and keep my Tc a year older throughout the six years POSSIBLY.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought the 7 year only b/c of the coverage of wheel/tires on the road hazard...the 18s on the RS1.0 are damn expensive and I've had a curb or two jump out in front of me
Old 07-20-2005, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

I bought the $600 dollar one. I think its the Gold package or something like that

Quick Reply: Who's got the Extended Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty?