2005-2010 [ANT10]

withdrawl

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default withdrawl

as some of you may already have heard my wheel fell off going about 45 3 days ago after install my ss-p's(god it looks good). needless to say bad things happened. after i had it towed to the shop it feels like a part of me is gone lol. i can only blame myself but god i cant wait until i get my baby back
Old 03-20-2005, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

baby back, baby back, baby back ribs.

Sorry, kinda hungry right now. Also sorry about the car.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

how did your wheel fall off? i just took a wheel off today to check out what i need to do with painting calipers as well as install of springs. i was iffy about the impact gun i was using, felt like it was rescrewing the lugs too easily. so i pulled out the old tire iron and tightened them as much as i could by hand. i gave it a drive, seems to be ok. i guess time will only tell. using the tire iron with a good amount of arm torque is sufficient, right?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Banned
SL Member

Unseen, I wouldn't tighten them up too tight. I took my wheels off to paint my calipers, then put them back on and tightened all the lugs up by hand. About two weeks later, I noticed that on my back right wheel , one of the studs was actually broken off and the lug was gone. I think it got so cold, that the metal expanded, and combined with the over tightened lugnut, it caused it to break. Needless to say it was replaced for free under warranty. So be careful, this cars lugs are prone to breakage.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Woodyear
...So be careful, this cars lugs are prone to breakage.
Simma' down now.

I've had my tires rotated twice and switched between stock and winter steelies twice w/o lugs breaking off...and it was below zero for weeks here.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member

SL Member

thanks woodyear and 3 IGs. i have aftermarket wheels though. still the same advice?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by unseen
thanks woodyear and 3 IGs. i have aftermarket wheels though. still the same advice?
Maybe get the torque specs and use a torque wrench if you take them off and on a lot. I'm not sure if the torque specs change from stock to aftermarket though.

Happy motoring.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:34 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

hmmm, i tightened them with the impact wrench. then went over them with the iron, they werent loose or anything, but with some might i got another squeeze out of them. its on my mind whether i overtightened them. its ok, i have to take them off again this week to put the springs on.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea just fell off going 45 scary as hell.. but check this out i got an estimate and the guy said my gt-7 was "boogered up" and asked him how. he showed me on the b a c k of the rim the center hub had some scratches... thats it so he included an extra 600 bucks in the estimate. that pays for the dedutible and leaves me w/ 100 extra. damn right
Old 03-22-2005, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by unseen
how did your wheel fall off? i just took a wheel off today to check out what i need to do with painting calipers as well as install of springs. i was iffy about the impact gun i was using, felt like it was rescrewing the lugs too easily. so i pulled out the old tire iron and tightened them as much as i could by hand. i gave it a drive, seems to be ok. i guess time will only tell. using the tire iron with a good amount of arm torque is sufficient, right?
AHHHHHHH!!! Dont overtighten them! That will cause even more issues. Look up the torque spec and use either a torque wrench or an impact wrench with torque sticks to get them to the proper torque... this is mandantory with any alloy wheel/disc brake setup as you can cause the rotors to warp, wheels to warp, studs to break.. etc.