Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

2.0" drop/ Wheel Camber

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:14 AM

Default 2.0" drop/ Wheel Camber

I went in to the local spring shop and they were tellin me that if i did any 2" drop that i would need a rear camber kit. I was just wonderin if anyone has a 2" drop without a camber kit.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with a 2" drop your going to need a camber kit or else your going to rip up your tires...

i heard with TRD 1-1.5" you dont need it.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

ive had hotchkis springs for 2.5yrs and just installed rear camber links in the beginning of the year. i noticed a big difference in stance and will save the life of your rear tires. SOME people on here have gone to shops to where they can fix the negative camber back to stock specs. my local shops were unable to which is why i purchased hotchkis rear camber links.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

there's a lot of people here with Stechs and most of them had said that getting it aligned was all that was needed. I personally have Htechs and the alignment was all that was needed...but it's not a 2" drop
Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
ive had hotchkis springs for 2.5yrs and just installed rear camber links in the beginning of the year. i noticed a big difference in stance and will save the life of your rear tires. SOME people on here have gone to shops to where they can fix the negative camber back to stock specs. my local shops were unable to which is why i purchased hotchkis rear camber links.
this might be a really dumb question but here it goes. can you use the hotckis camber kit with any spring set-up?
Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have almost a 2'' drop and i need a camber links. wear on my tires is uneven. i suggest to get the camber links just in case.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by tcCAlI
Originally Posted by Yanki01
this might be a really dumb question but here it goes. can you use the hotckis camber kit with any spring set-up?
yes you can.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

i was on s-techs for 6 months with no camber kit or alignment and didnt see any irregular tire wear.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yellowxhoodie
i was on s-techs for 6 months with no camber kit or alignment and didnt see any irregular tire wear.
x2, cept I did get an alignment and its almost been a year now.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

x3 S-Techs for ever now w/ alignment and never have had irregular tire wear or a need for camber kit, although it has been suggested.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Went with 2 years on Stechs. No problems because the guys that did the alignment knocked the camber back in its place. No camber kit needed here.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

haha i think im one of the few people whos getting the camber links to run less camber (more neg,... im hoping for neg3*)
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Camber doesn't wear tires. Toe does. Adjustable camber links are for adding camber, not taking it away. I ran -2.5º in the front and -2.0º on my Honda for two years with no uneven wear.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope
Camber doesn't wear tires. Toe does. Adjustable camber links are for adding camber, not taking it away. I ran -2.5º in the front and -2.0º on my Honda for two years with no uneven wear.
Correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression that camber is the tilt of the tire so if you have too much camper you'll be riding on one side of the tire more that the other. So if that where true then you would get uneven ware since its only using that oart of the tire. Also isnt toe the way your tire is pointing? I could be wrong but thats what i always told. But its been awhile since ive been in school.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Every time the attitude of the car changes, the camber angle changes. It will not adversely affect tire wire until extreme angles are reached, like -7º. Toe angle will wear tires rapidly, as you are essentially driving across the tread of the tire, so it's constantly "scrubbing".
Old 07-23-2008, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Isotope
Every time the attitude of the car changes, the camber angle changes. It will not adversely affect tire wire until extreme angles are reached, like -7º. Toe angle will wear tires rapidly, as you are essentially driving across the tread of the tire, so it's constantly "scrubbing".

Oh ok i see what you mean. I learn something new today...lol
Old 07-26-2008, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i just got mine aligned today after a little over a month with sTechs. They said everything is fine. but the rears still look the same. ( the look unbalanced a little nothing major) Does anybody have a picture of a bad case of this. i guess "too much camber" im not sure if a have that right.

So should i just go ahead with a camber kit?
and if i do, is there any noticable performance upgrade? (handling)
Old 07-31-2008, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as far as i know my rear camber and toe is within spec ( i got 2 inch drop in the back and 17's) BUT on the front the camber is off by half degree so i need to get camber kit, well its only 30 dollars...
Old 08-03-2008, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have tein stechs for 2rys till i got an alignment . i had really bad tire wear on the inner side of the tire. after the alignment, dont know if it got better cuz i just bought new tires
Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I have hotchkis springs and I never got an alignment. I have slight negative camber (which I've heard isn't necessarily a bad thing, also confirmed by doc I above).

I rotate my tires every 5k miles (everytime I do my oil change) and I check tread wear every time with one of those little credit card meters you can pick up for free at discount tire. So far no noticable uneven treadware and its been 15k miles...

Just throwin that out there. Just seems to me like everybody is afraid of any neg. camber....

Quick Reply: 2.0" drop/ Wheel Camber