Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

BBK QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default BBK QUESTION

i was wondering if the TRD BBK caliper from the second Gen Tc would bolt up to the gen 1 Tc?
I already know the rotor won't fit cause of the lug pattern.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member

If the caliper brackets line up and you get the same size rotor you should be golden
Old 12-12-2012, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The first gen tC already has several BBK kits. you can even use Celica GTS kits.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just saw one for selling for $500 with lines pads and rotors new.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont think it would work as the rotor would have a different bolt pattern on it for 2nd gen as 1st since the 1st is a 5x100. if you got caliper and all of that it might work depending on how the bracket matches up.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So in other words...by the time you buy the parts you need (larger rotors) to make the kit work with your car, and get over all the headaches of making it work... you're saving almost no money...
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

best thing to do if your current rotors are good and you dont want to spend much; fastscions.com have front and rear wilwood upgrade kits. its pretty much a BBK w/o the upgraded rotors for like 600$
Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^With that setup, I doubt it would be any better than the stock brakes with some race pads. Also it would look weird having some 4-pot calipers on some 10.8" rotors.

Just my opinion..
Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jackieee_tC
^With that setup, I doubt it would be any better than the stock brakes with some race pads. Also it would look weird having some 4-pot calipers on some 10.8" rotors.

Just my opinion..
stressed on looks.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just my opinion..
Originally Posted by ESEMRFOZZ13
stressed on looks.
Stressed on retards not reading....

Also, more pistons doesn't mean you stop faster, do some research. ROFL
Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Stressed on retards not reading....

Also, more pistons doesn't mean you stop faster, do some research. ROFL
did i mention any technical aspects, of the design? coward. so to give in, you think a multiple pot system would not have it's +, over oem design. break pad wear across entire pad, heat expansion?
Old 12-19-2012, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did i mention any technical aspects, of the design? coward. so to give in, you think a multiple pot system would not have it's +, over oem design. break pad wear across entire pad, heat expansion?
The point is that swapping on "multiple pot" calipers on our cars with OEM size calipers to improve braking is not a smart move, unless your tracking your car for multiple hard laps. Going back to my first post, I doubt they would be any better than our OEM setup with race pads, SS lines, and dot 4 fluid. And again, it would look weird with a 4 pot caliper clamped onto a 10.8 dingy. Here's a great quote, "So in essence, will your car stop sooner with bigger 4-pot calipers up front? No. Will it stop more consistently after time, with less brake fade and a firmer, short throw brake pedal? If installed right, and tuned correctly, absolutely.."

You are correct that fixed calipers offer more even brake pad wear and heat expansion (I think you meant to say "heat dissipation") over our OEM setup.

Now look at those fancy Ksport BBK and some Rotora. They are offered with 6+ pistons and larger rotors, but in many reviews. The difference between stock was very minimal at best, with some reviewers/owners even reporting worst than stock braking. While track use and street use would probably be a different story.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can say, that if your basing your data off "other" people, and have no first hand experience, than you dont have a CLUE to what is right or wrong. Infact, your basing your theory on hearsay.

I can tell you as a previous owner of the stoptech kit, and then the TRD kit (traded stoptech to a good friend for the TRD plus cash because I was getting rid of the car, and his TRD kit was less than 3 months old) that there is a HUGE difference, night and day between the OEM setup, and also vs your "theory" on "race" pads, better lines, and different brake fluid....

Hands down, I would put a BBK on ANY of my cars, over what your claiming - any day of the week. Your "race pads, ect" are a band-aid for someone who couldnt afford a decent big brake kit and upgraded rears. Now, I had a full TRD suspension setup, with expensive tires, a bigger contact patch ect - my point with that, is your car is like a chain, there is ALWAYS a weak link, and you can fix that, but it in turn makes something else the weak link (even if everything performs 10-20% better, your still going to have a weak link). If your "reviews" of people who just upgraded the brakes, and still have something in-line that is not up to par, the bigger brakes are a moot point. If your tires suck, if your suspension is not set up perfectly, ect. YOU WILL HAVE AN ISSUE SOMEWHERE. Since my car was set up perfectly (for me), with every TRD part made - I felt a huge benefit from big brakes.

Not only do they not fade (mine NEVER faded, ever) but the immediate bite felt like it would stop the car SO much faster, with less braking force and a shorter distance. My biggest concern was that I would tear flat spots into my tires with overuse of the braking *IF I WANTED TO*. Also you do have brake biasing to adjust to, and it is a small learning curve, but worth mentioning.

Also as a side note - to anyone who is boosted, and NOT running a BBK or some serious brake upgrades, you will find yourself needing to upgrade at some point down the line IMHO.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by torqueTc
I can say, that if your basing your data off "other" people, and have no first hand experience, than you dont have a CLUE to what is right or wrong. Infact, your basing your theory on hearsay.

I can tell you as a previous owner of the stoptech kit, and then the TRD kit (traded stoptech to a good friend for the TRD plus cash because I was getting rid of the car, and his TRD kit was less than 3 months old) that there is a HUGE difference, night and day between the OEM setup, and also vs your "theory" on "race" pads, better lines, and different brake fluid....

Hands down, I would put a BBK on ANY of my cars, over what your claiming - any day of the week. Your "race pads, ect" are a band-aid for someone who couldnt afford a decent big brake kit and upgraded rears. Now, I had a full TRD suspension setup, with expensive tires, a bigger contact patch ect - my point with that, is your car is like a chain, there is ALWAYS a weak link, and you can fix that, but it in turn makes something else the weak link (even if everything performs 10-20% better, your still going to have a weak link). If your "reviews" of people who just upgraded the brakes, and still have something in-line that is not up to par, the bigger brakes are a moot point. If your tires suck, if your suspension is not set up perfectly, ect. YOU WILL HAVE AN ISSUE SOMEWHERE. Since my car was set up perfectly (for me), with every TRD part made - I felt a huge benefit from big brakes.

Not only do they not fade (mine NEVER faded, ever) but the immediate bite felt like it would stop the car SO much faster, with less braking force and a shorter distance. My biggest concern was that I would tear flat spots into my tires with overuse of the braking *IF I WANTED TO*. Also you do have brake biasing to adjust to, and it is a small learning curve, but worth mentioning.

Also as a side note - to anyone who is boosted, and NOT running a BBK or some serious brake upgrades, you will find yourself needing to upgrade at some point down the line IMHO.
Check out my other post on other forums. I already said most of what you resaid. And as for no first hand experience, well I got a BBK kit on my car already. Not any off the shelf kit, but piece together myself. What we were talking about was throwing on 4 pot pistons on the stock rotors.

Just gotta read what we are typing up there. I know larger rotors help out a lot. From faster heat dissipation to an increase in brake torque, which requires less pedal effort than stock for the same stopping distances.

Name:  DSC02313.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  137.7 KB

Name:  DSC02318.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  179.5 KB
Old 12-20-2012, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check out my other post on other forums. I already said most of what you resaid. And as for no first hand experience, well I got a BBK kit on my car already. Not any off the shelf kit, but piece together myself. What we were talking about was throwing on 4 pot pistons on the stock rotors.

Just gotta read what we are typing up there. I know larger rotors help out a lot. From faster heat dissipation to an increase in brake torque, which requires less pedal effort than stock for the same stopping distances.

actually oem diameter rotors, not stock rotors
Old 12-20-2012, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually oem diameter rotors, not stock rotors
So.... That's what you came back with. Lame
Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: A little island called Whidbey Island in Oak Harbor