Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

BIG TIME ISSUE with TRD SPRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default BIG TIME ISSUE with TRD SPRINGS

i installed my springs about 2 months ago.......the right side is about .5-.75 in higher than the right side I dont understand why......does anyone know anything about his or has anyone experienced the same thing?????? the left side looks perfect but right side is not so great
Old 06-15-2005, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Re: BIG TIME ISSUE with TRD SPRINGS

Originally Posted by tCrewS
the right side is about .5-.75 in higher than the right side I dont understand why......does anyone know anything about his or has anyone experienced the same thing?????? the left side looks perfect but right side is not so great
I'm guessing you meant the right side site higher than the left side??
Not trying to be a d**k, just want to make sure I understand your question.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you didn't accidently install one of the rear springs in the front did you?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I don't think he could.....the front springs wouldn't fit inthe rear.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rsx_freak79
you didn't accidently install one of the rear springs in the front did you?
tell me your joking.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My passenger side sits about 1/4" higher than my drivers side as well. I have goldines and everything is installed right. There is a thread somewhere about this issue (many people with teins notice this as well).
Old 06-15-2005, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also have the TRD Lowering Springs and have noticed the same "problem". I am not exactly sure why but the left side of my car sits about 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch lower than the right side. It is practically unnoticable. I learned to live with it.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here I found the thread:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55999
Old 06-15-2005, 08:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

OMG
I'm glad someone brought that up. I thought it was my own problem, and I took my tC to do alignment
Old 06-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Lab
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Is it possible that as the springs break in that since most of the time people are driving solo that the springs on the driver side get broken in more then the passenger side?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member

I had the same issue in the rear with the trd springs, so I removed them and swapped them from one side to the other and that helped even things out in my case.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^ so the logical conclusion then is issue is definitely driver weight causing some breakin/sag, versus no passenger weight, and therefore, not an issue at all.

I can't possibly see any other explanation, across multiple brands of springs (from the other thread).

If it really bothers you so much, swap your sides, that will cause it to even out. OR just try and ride around for about a week with two passengers, 1 in the front, 1 in the passenger rear.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wouldn't there be plenty more wieght on the drivers side because of the driver and the tranny...?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Is the trans more on the driver side? I haven't looked so I don't know, but I thought it was more central.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toastbox
^^^ so the logical conclusion then is issue is definitely driver weight causing some breakin/sag, versus no passenger weight, and therefore, not an issue at all.

I can't possibly see any other explanation, across multiple brands of springs (from the other thread).
Are you kidding me? That just seems ridiculous.. the driver's solo weight is negligible when you're talking about a 3000 lb car.. and even if it wasn't, it'd take a lot longer than a few months to change the compression of a spring like that.

I have TRD springs and had the same height issue immediately after install.. after taking a look at the front right spring, I noticed that it was out of position by about 180 degrees.. after correcting the spring's orientation (the end of the coil fits specifically into the strut), the left-right height difference was a lot less noticeable. I think my car has settled to the point that the height diff is barely noticeable.

Just my $.02...

-K
Old 06-15-2005, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by k_splay

Are you kidding me? That just seems ridiculous.. the driver's solo weight is negligible when you're talking about a 3000 lb car.. and even if it wasn't, it'd take a lot longer than a few months to change the compression of a spring like that.

I have TRD springs and had the same height issue immediately after install.. after taking a look at the front right spring, I noticed that it was out of position by about 180 degrees.. after correcting the spring's orientation (the end of the coil fits specifically into the strut), the left-right height difference was a lot less noticeable. I think my car has settled to the point that the height diff is barely noticeable.

Just my $.02...

-K
I agree that the drivers weight is neglible, however, how else do you explain that the drivers side sits lower on so many tc's, occuring across differnet brands of springs?? Driver weight seems more reasonible than suggesting the cause is each and everyone of the people having this problem have the springs seated incorrectly, and only on the passenger side! I *know* mine are seated correctly.

The guy I was responding to specifically stated that he had the problem, and then he switched the sides the springs were on (drivers side springs to passenger, and vice versa) and the issue went away. To me, that suggests that the springs settle somewhat (0.25-0.5 inches) after install, and that the driver weight acts as a catalyst on the drivers side.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

moved...
Old 06-15-2005, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by k_splay

Just my $.02...

-K
I agree that the drivers weight is neglible, however, how else do you explain that the drivers side sits lower on so many tc's, occuring across differnet brands of springs?? Driver weight seems more reasonible than suggesting the cause is each and everyone of the people having this problem have the springs seated incorrectly, and only on the passenger side! I *know* mine are seated correctly.

The guy I was responding to specifically stated that he had the problem, and then he switched the sides the springs were on (drivers side springs to passenger, and vice versa) and the issue went away. To me, that suggests that the springs settle somewhat (0.25-0.5 inches) after install, and that the driver weight acts as a catalyst on the drivers side.
Sorry, I didn't mean to attack you.. I just grabbed one of whoever was saying it..

If it really is driver weight, then wouldn't the stock springs be affected as well? Why is this a problem only after swapping springs?

-K
Old 06-15-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The guy I was responding to specifically stated that he had the problem, and then he switched the sides the springs were on (drivers side springs to passenger, and vice versa) and the issue went away. To me, that suggests that the springs settle somewhat (0.25-0.5 inches) after install...
Or it could mean that he put them in correctly the second time he did it. It does seem awfly conincidental that it's the passenger side thats higher on all the cars, but I had mine done at the dealership, and i dont' notice any difference between the two sides.
I was also thinking driver weight, but then you could also say that if you make more right hand turns then left that it would put more pressure on the left side.
Besides, when I was putting in my front sway bar, I noticed a huge gap in the engine bay on the drivers side, almost like it's off to the side to compensate for the weight of the driver. I know that sounds completely stupid, but I said it anyway
Old 06-15-2005, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, if u lower your car, the shocks/struts have to be for the correct pressure, you see when you lower your car, all the weight that was on the orginal springs are on the struts now, meaning that they are compressed and they will explode and you will have no wheels ....

j/k btw

Quick Reply: BIG TIME ISSUE with TRD SPRINGS