Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

BIG TIME ISSUE with TRD SPRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I had a similar problem and took the car to the dealer for the alignment. The alignment nearly solved the problem but I think I still have just a little bit of drop on the driver side (but not noticeable at all). I'd recommend the alignment if you see persistent uneveness in your springs.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by k_splay
I have TRD springs and had the same height issue immediately after install.. after taking a look at the front right spring, I noticed that it was out of position by about 180 degrees.. after correcting the spring's orientation (the end of the coil fits specifically into the strut), the left-right height difference was a lot less noticeable. I think my car has settled to the point that the height diff is barely noticeable.
I just measured.. front passenger sits 1/4 inch higher than the other three when measuring from rim to fender. This is starting to get to me.. I just want to know what we're doing wrong..

-K
Old 06-15-2005, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have sway bars? I was a bit uneven in the rear. I noticed that after I switched my setting to hard on my hotchkis rear sway, it evened out my rear passenger that was a bit too high.... now after a few months the springs have settled perfectly.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by k_splay

Sorry, I didn't mean to attack you.. I just grabbed one of whoever was saying it..

If it really is driver weight, then wouldn't the stock springs be affected as well? Why is this a problem only after swapping springs?

-K
No worries, we;'re just havng a friendly discussion, no one is getting stabbed with a knife......yet
Old 06-15-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by blackpearlTC
also, if u lower your car, the shocks/struts have to be for the correct pressure, you see when you lower your car, all the weight that was on the orginal springs are on the struts now, meaning that they are compressed and they will explode and you will have no wheels ....

j/k btw
Lol, I hope you were kidding about *all* of that, and not just the exploding wheels.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZaZaTc
I had a similar problem and took the car to the dealer for the alignment. The alignment nearly solved the problem but I think I still have just a little bit of drop on the driver side (but not noticeable at all). I'd recommend the alignment if you see persistent uneveness in your springs.
i have the same problem...
if i may ask, how much did the dealer charge you for the alignment???
thanks.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good stuff guys.......im gunna take it to alignment.......my driver side is such a nice drop i can barely fit two fingers in between the tires and fenders....but the right side 3 fingers....its not so bad considering the wagonish look when i first got the car but everyone notices and ask me about why its like that......really annoying ......
Old 06-16-2005, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First things first:

A. Did you install the springs yourself?

If "yes" then:

B. Did you do it in your garage at home with a couple of jacks to lift your car?

And:

C. Did you know that the dealer specs for installation includes alignment?

Not to harp on you or anything, but even though springs are one of the cheapest performance parts to get, correct installation is neither cheap nor easy.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I changed the springs w/ my roomate and it took us 3hr to change all 4 of them. I initially took it to the NTB for alignment but they didn't have the factory specs. Then I took it to the dealer and they only charged me $68 for alignment, which was very reasonable.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ergo Scion
First things first:

If "yes" then:

B. Did you do it in your garage at home with a couple of jacks to lift your car?

And:

Not to harp on you or anything, but even though springs are one of the cheapest performance parts to get, correct installation is neither cheap nor easy.

A. YES
B. YES
C. NO.......

but does alignment make all the difference......and if so ...may seem dumb to ask but if it fixes the problem and when they even out does that mean the lower side will sit a bit higher as it evens out with the previously higher side?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sucks how you can't return it. But what if everyone's springs is a little off, but its just not noticeable.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Ergo Scion
First things first:

If "yes" then:

And:

I did the install of the trd springs/struts myself.
I waited until my 5000 checkup was due. WHen I scheduled my appointment, I told the guy that the car seemed to be pulling to the right, and could they check the alignment. I never mentioned anything about the springs/struts being replaced.

The dealer did the alignment for free on my car. And for those that ask, no I did not buy the springs or struts from the dealer, I bought them from TRDSparks.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm is this problem only for people that have the trd lowering springs but no trd shocks? thats wut i seem to be noticing...
Old 06-16-2005, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

^^^It's not specific to TRD springs...people have stated they've had this problem wth Tein's, Goldlines, and a few others.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by toastbox
also, if u lower your car, the shocks/struts have to be for the correct pressure, you see when you lower your car, all the weight that was on the orginal springs are on the struts now, meaning that they are compressed and they will explode and you will have no wheels ....

j/k btw
Lol, I hope you were kidding about *all* of that, and not just the exploding wheels.
well to be honest, you do have to get the correct struts if you lower your ride, if you don't then the ones you have will wear out faster because they are supporting that much more weight.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^It's not specific to TRD springs...people have stated they've had this problem wth Tein's, Goldlines, and a few others.
I guess this is why I always stuck with SPRINT SPRINGS, after experience level problems with Eibach and TEIN. I love SPRINT, perfectly level along with no sagg after 3 years on my 7 GEN Celica GT-S. My tC is sitting purdy and perfectly level too.....

Good luck........hope everything works out for you guys...
Old 06-16-2005, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

well to be honest, you do have to get the correct struts if you lower your ride, if you don't then the ones you have will wear out faster because they are supporting that much more weight.
If i understand it correctly, it's not the weight causing this, it's the decreased height the truts are now traveling. When you put the stock struts on the shorter springs, you're keeping the struts in a "half damped" position, which means the gas inside is partially compressed from the start. The amount of weight hasn't changed. Basically, the amount of gas used to be able to travel throughout the entire opertaing length of the strut. Now, because of the shortened springs, the same amount of gas is occupying less volume, so the pressure in the struts is increased.

That's how it was explained to me....I have no idea whether that is actually the truth, but it seems plausible.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by motozen
Do you have sway bars? I was a bit uneven in the rear. I noticed that after I switched my setting to hard on my hotchkis rear sway, it evened out my rear passenger that was a bit too high.... now after a few months the springs have settled perfectly.
Is it just me, or does it seem like front sway bar lowered the front end just a tad?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just measured my front after reading this thread, and my driver is a 1/4" lower than my passenger too!!! what the hells goin on? I had Toyota put them _____es on too. anyone know if TRD will do anything about this? it must be a defect with all the ones they made
Old 06-18-2005, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZaZaTc
I changed the springs w/ my roomate and it took us 3hr to change all 4 of them. I initially took it to the NTB for alignment but they didn't have the factory specs. Then I took it to the dealer and they only charged me $68 for alignment, which was very reasonable.
I just had my friend install my TRD springs along with new wheels 225/40/18's. I took it to the dealer to get my wheel alignment and they told me I voided my warranty with the install of lowering springs. They said my wheels were too big and they can't get the specs for my car because of my springs, and because my wheels were too big. Is this right???

First off the springs are TRD. Second when you first buy the tC there is an option to upgrade the wheels to 18's with tires at 225/40/18. How could the dealer offer this setup but not take my setup under warranty???

Quick Reply: BIG TIME ISSUE with TRD SPRINGS