Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

BIG TIME ISSUE with TRD SPRINGS

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by scottle
I KNOW THE PROBLEM AND I FIGURED IT OUT WHILE I WAS DOING IT. YOUR GROOVES ON THE INSIDE OF THE SPRING CAP IS NOT ALIGNED CORRECTLY. USUALLY ON OTHER CARS THE GROOVES ARE ON THE OUTSIDE AND YOU CAN ALIGN THE GROOVES WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS BUT SINCE THE GROOVES ARE ON THE INSIDE YOU CAN ONLY TRY AND "GUESS". THE BEST THING TO DO IS DRAW A STRAIGHT LINE WITH A MARKER TO TELL YOU WHERE THE CAP AND BOTTOM OF SHOCKS LINE UP. NEXT TIME YOU DO SUSPENSIONS BUY A PERMANENT MARKER (A SILVER ONE) TO HELP DRAW A GUIDE LINE WITH. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE I DONE A LOT OF SUSPENSIONS AND TC IS THE FIRST ONE I HAD WITH A PROBLEM. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE WHEN I DID MY PASSENGER ONE I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THE GROOVES SO I MESSED UP THE PASSENGER AND SO WHEN I DID THE DRIVER I USED A MARKER AND DREW A LINE ALL THE WAY DOWN FROM THE CAP TO THE END OF THE SHOCKS AND THAT HELPED ME DO THE SPRINGS IN LIKE 15 MINUTES.

SO CHECK THE GROOVES ON YOUR SPRING CAPS THAT ALIGN THE SPRINGS WITH IT AND MAKE SURE IT IS ALIGNED
Good tip, but erm do you know how many internet etiquette laws you are breaking by typing in all caps? Well one to be exact, but still.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Are you all using a torque wrench? If that top nut fixes the problem, maybe you are not torquing both sides to the exact same torque setting? I have not had this problem with any car installing lowering springs, but I always use a torque wrench if it fits.