Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Dangerous Suspension Problem. Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 06:30 PM

Default Dangerous Suspension Problem. Please Help!!!

Hey guys, this is my first post. i just bought my tC a couple weeks ago and did not notice this problem during the test drive. on the way home there were a few sweeping turns on the interstate. i was taking a right turn while accelerating, and all of the sudden the car jerks even more to the right. it didnt jerk the steering wheel at all, it stayed in the same spot as i was holding it. The car just turned sharper. ive noticed that this only happens while i am accelerating and only on right turns above about 35mph.

also, the guy i bought it from lowered the suspension i think about 1"-1.5" on lowering springs.

i jacked it up yesterday to see if there were any bent suspension components but everything looked fine. help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!!!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Put it back on the jack stands and check the ball joints.....Lower and the tie rods. Upper is attached to the strut, so check the bolts there.

If you're unsure what to look for, most shops will so a suspension & brake check for free or at least cheap.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CapnChunk
Hey guys, this is my first post. i just bought my tC a couple weeks ago and did not notice this problem during the test drive. on the way home there were a few sweeping turns on the interstate. i was taking a right turn while accelerating, and all of the sudden the car jerks even more to the right. it didnt jerk the steering wheel at all, it stayed in the same spot as i was holding it. The car just turned sharper. ive noticed that this only happens while i am accelerating and only on right turns above about 35mph.

also, the guy i bought it from lowered the suspension i think about 1"-1.5" on lowering springs.

i jacked it up yesterday to see if there were any bent suspension components but everything looked fine. help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!!!
I agree a reputable shop would help you out. Sounds like the bushings are giving way and the suspension is shifting. Also should go under there and check to see if everything is torqued/tightened (nuts/bolts).. I have a sticky here somewhere that explains the tightening of the chassis nuts/bolts that needs to be done periodically..
Old 04-13-2015, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

My TC did not like being lowered. Last year I installed lowering springs, and it caused a noticeable axle vibration under load. Went back to stock height, and problem went away