Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

do you think its worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default do you think its worth it?

i currently have tien h techs but want to go just a little lower.. do you think its worth it to get s techs? will there be a noticable difference? or should i just keep the h techs?
note: i didn't buy the h techs or else i would of just bought the s techs from the start.. i also know coilovers will be better but i'll do that later down the road.
thanks
Old 03-04-2008, 02:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

s-techs are for the super low stance, h-techs are for an aggressive, but actually functional drop.

also s-techs will dramatically shorten the life of your struts. so if you buy and install s-techs, get some trd, tokico, or koni yellow struts.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i know they will blow and i was looking for struts also.. im thinking i might be better off just waiting to get some coilovers

but will there be much of a noticable difference between the h-techs and s-techs? enough to buy new springs?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: do you think its worth it?

Originally Posted by dubberatheart
i currently have tien h techs but want to go just a little lower.. do you think its worth it to get s techs? will there be a noticable difference? or should i just keep the h techs?
note: i didn't buy the h techs or else i would of just bought the s techs from the start.. i also know coilovers will be better but i'll do that later down the road.
thanks
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing but decided not to, the H-Techs are good enough imo...
Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends on what you want as well.

If you're looking to maximize handling, you're better off with what you've got. (H-techs)

If you're looking to slam it for a show car, then proceed to S-techs or something you can adjust really low.

The caveat is, the cost of S-techs + new shocks nearly equals that of coilovers. You're better off with Tien basics in that case (800-900)
Old 03-04-2008, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
Depends on what you want as well.

If you're looking to maximize handling, you're better off with what you've got. (H-techs)

If you're looking to slam it for a show car, then proceed to S-techs or something you can adjust really low.

The caveat is, the cost of S-techs + new shocks nearly equals that of coilovers. You're better off with Tien basics in that case (800-900)
H-techs are for comfort not handling.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hawgs74

H-techs are for comfort not handling.
I'm making the point that going to S-techs will decrease his handling potential.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im not worried too much about handling.. im not gonna race/auto-x the car or anything, its mainly just for looks. the h-techs have less than 5k miles on them so i was thinking i could sell them and buy some new s-techs and just ride on stock struts for a bit.. but i dont really want to deal with blown suspension. maybe i'll just keep the h-techs.

but back to the initial question.. do you think its worth it? is the difference in drop between the two springs big enough to swap out the springs?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I'm going to be swapping from h-techs to hotchkis pretty soon because I can't stand the wheel gap in the back. I say if you want a more aggressive drop then go for it. The difference is definitely going to be noticeable.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

depending on how you drive, the stock shocks should last a while. i had stechs on for about 15k, with about 25k on the struts before i changed out to basics. and to be honest, they still felt fine. i only switched because i started autocrossing. if your not autocrossing, then i say s-techs are fine since the ride will be smoother with the s-techs. the springs with coilovers are about 2x as stiff as lowering springs.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks... good info to know!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've seen both h.techs and s.tech in person, side by side, and yes...the s.techs are NOTICEBLY lower. I LOVE the look of s.techs.

satoman...for daily driving, how is the FEEL of the basics? I know the price of shocks/springs is almost the same as coilovers, but I've heard the ride is better with shocks/springs is better then coilovers cause they dont' have to account for adjustable heights.