Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

EBC Green Stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default EBC Green Stuff...

I put these pads on front and rear around 32k miles. Kept the stock rotors. Had a mechanic put them in. Took them off myself and put some anti-squeal stuff on the back of the metal shims and blew off the rotors with an air hose around 33k miles because they were squealing.

Now I have 40k miles and I've been waiting for these pads to break in but still they sound awful. When they are cold first thing in the morning they sound fine, but the rest of the day they are bad. At 10-20% braking they let out a light squeal, quiet from 30-50% braking, and braking 50%+ make a nasty squeal. After my 1 hour commute they sound terrible like they are almost grinding to a halt. When I turn tightly with the window down I can hear something rubbing. The rest of my car is stock.

These pads have been nothing but trouble. Do they require upgraded rotors? I am considering buying some cross-drilled/slotted rotors in an effort to help the sound. I just want quiet brakes What is my best bet other than paying the dealership a ridiculous amount to take care of it?
Old 10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EBC also makes direct-replacement rotors that are slotted & dimpled. I used them on my previous car with the green stuff pads and was very pleased with the results. Didn't have any squeal, but more of a grinding sound compared to stock, which I figure was just due to the much higher friction coefficient of the EBC pads. Not sure if that'd resolve your squeal, but I feel their rotors are reasonably priced, considering the quality & performance.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hi man i have ebc red stuff and some drilled and slotted rotora rotors
i have the same problem though.. squelling and squeking is killing me but other that that brake power is great
Old 10-26-2007, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you change to high performance pads it will squeel more, this is normal due to it being a ceramic pad instead of the econo stock stuff. as for the grinding noise could be excess brake dust built up on the rotor.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree about the braking power. It feels great.... but sounds awful. Would cross-drilled rotors help this at all? What other brands of brakes are recommended for quiet but solid braking?
Old 10-26-2007, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really doesn't have that much to do with the rotors. it is mainly in the pads.

you upgrade the rotors when you have a much more aggressive pad than stock that can actually chew the rotors up alittle.

when you say you broke them in, what did you do?

stoptech says to do 10 consecutive 60 to 10 mph. to properly heat cycle the brakes.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[/img]http://poczta.wp.pl/d672/index.html?rfbawp=1193375893.846&flg=1&starapoczta=0&lfba=1193375906.426[img][/img]
Old 10-26-2007, 05:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wanted to posdt some pics but wtf some help please
Old 10-26-2007, 02:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drove them lightly for 500-600 miles then did a few 50-60 mpg to stops. Drove another 500 miles normally after that. Then I took them off because they sounded awful and put some anti-squeal spray (from toyota) on the back of the metal shims. they were silent for 2-3 days and I thought I conquered it. The noise came back after that and has never left. I don't mind the light squeal too much but when I drive all day and come to a normal stop it seems like they are overheating and sound terrible!
Old 11-02-2007, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you're suppose to bed them in the day you install i think. as draxcaliber said, 10 60mph to 10 stops without cooling between to bed in. also make sure you turn/resurface your rotors before you install the pads
Old 11-03-2007, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the EBC Greenstuff....I installed them w/ Stock Rotors...They SQUEAL'd too!...I just ordered New PowerSlot Rotors...then Squealing went away!....hehehe..

If i go below 5MPH..and step on the brake pedal I get a Horrible grinding noise though...which is weird!!!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You get the horrible grinding with the new rotors? Are they cross drilled and slotted?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thinking about trying these:
http://www.cquence.net/scion-2004200...ca94643cd29886

Anyone have these?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ why not just try porterfield's R4-S carbon-kevlar pad? Very quiet and no griding. sorry to sound like a commercial! lol but i had them before, awesome pads! www.porterfield-brakes.com
Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, you just didn't bed them in right, or at all. Your supposed to do it right when you finish doing the install. The "green stuff" heats up and coats the rotor for a better bite and to reduce noise. If your going to get new rotors get new pads, never use an old pad on a new rotor because it might cause uneven wear from the old rotor. Also, any performance bad will be louder than stock, so if noise is that big of an issue just go get some Wagners...

And don't waste your money on those crap slotted and drilled rotors, all those little ricer gimmicks are crap. Just buy some Brembo blanks.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WendysOrBust
yeah, you just didn't bed them in right, or at all. Your supposed to do it right when you finish doing the install. The "green stuff" heats up and coats the rotor for a better bite and to reduce noise. If your going to get new rotors get new pads, never use an old pad on a new rotor because it might cause uneven wear from the old rotor. Also, any performance bad will be louder than stock, so if noise is that big of an issue just go get some Wagners...

And don't waste your money on those crap slotted and drilled rotors, all those little ricer gimmicks are crap. Just buy some Brembo blanks.
Haha Ur screen name!..I love Wendy's Food!...YUM!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you had your stocks for a LONG time!!

my front stocks lasted 12xxx miles before they almost went metal to metal, the rears however had 90% remaining.

i didnt have the time to wait to get brake pads, so i just got some new stock ones
Old 09-26-2008, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm bringing this back from the dead. I'm really interested in EBC pads for daily driving and road course use on the weekends (I have one coming up, and don't want to have wimpy pads when I go out there). Who has them? Which ones do you have (green, red)? Do you like them?

Also, I'm not changing out the rotors when I install these. Any problems with that?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
I'm bringing this back from the dead. I'm really interested in EBC pads for daily driving and road course use on the weekends (I have one coming up, and don't want to have wimpy pads when I go out there). Who has them? Which ones do you have (green, red)? Do you like them?

Also, I'm not changing out the rotors when I install these. Any problems with that?
I use to run EBC green stuff pads.....IF you decide to Please get NEW rotors..or make sure u Resurface ur current ones before installing...Make sure u use A LOT of Anti-Squeal lube too!....I got tired of these pads..They made too much Squeal noise!

I am now running HAWK HPS pads...they seem to be A LOT quiter and perform better...
Old 09-26-2008, 09:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My bother put EBC Green stuff on his 04 Sabb 9-3 and he loves them. On his Sabb they do squeal a littel every now and then but no grinding or anything. They do grab more initially which he had to adjust too. When I took it for a spin I really gave him a jolt. He also put on new OEM style Brembo rotors. But do realize that as everyone else said, they are better than stock, but they are also have more noise. Oh and I 2nd getting your rotors resurfaced if you don't need to replace them.

Quick Reply: EBC Green Stuff...