Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

EBC Green Stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by tC9o9
you had your stocks for a LONG time!!

my front stocks lasted 12xxx miles before they almost went metal to metal, the rears however had 90% remaining.

i didnt have the time to wait to get brake pads, so i just got some new stock ones
wow thats nuts, i ran my stock pads to about 40k miles and they where still beefy, then i switched to dezod, when i put my StopTech BBK on at 92k the dezods still had plenty of life left, and the rotors where still stock and seemed like tehy still have a little life left, but i gotta replace the rears soon.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
Also, I'm not changing out the rotors when I install these. Any problems with that?
It depends on the car and the pads, I'm not certain about the tC because I haven't had to change pads yet. Prior to my last car, I never had rotors resurfaced, just changed pads and never had an issue. However, on my last car (Ford Contour V6) it didn't work, there was so much vibration when braking that I should have either resurfaced the rotors or replaced them. Because I waited too long before doing so, the vibration was so bad that the control arm bushings were damaged, to the point that when I did replace the rotors, the vibration was still there.

The EBC pads come with a break-in compound coating, which is designed to wear off the old coating on your rotors from the old pads, so they can bed properly on your old rotors. I'd say go for it, try them without machining or replacing the rotors first, follow EBC's break-in procedure (on their website) and see how it goes. If you have vibration, THEN get your rotors resurfaced immediately or replace them. Regardless, EBC makes some great pads, a definite step up from stock in braking power. I wouldn't get anything beyond their GreenStuff if I were going to do any street driving, as the yellow & red types need heat before they'll function properly, to the extent they're not really safe when not racing.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Anyone else out there??
Old 10-02-2008, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Watching....
dont want to thread jack, so pm me if you like but im wondering where you guys are getting your ebc pads from? Im looking for some redstuff ones....
Old 10-02-2008, 11:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by caveman
Watching....
dont want to thread jack, so pm me if you like but im wondering where you guys are getting your ebc pads from? Im looking for some redstuff ones....
I would just check out their website. They have links to a bunch of online distributors somewhere on there.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:01 PM

I want to bring this post back from the dead. My greenstuff pads are squeeking insanely. I did not put the tab that came in the box with the pads. Where do these tabs go? I will try to bedding in procedure soon. Does anyone have other suggestions to eliminate the brake noise?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Airfire29
I want to bring this post back from the dead. My greenstuff pads are squeeking insanely. I did not put the tab that came in the box with the pads. Where do these tabs go? I will try to bedding in procedure soon. Does anyone have other suggestions to eliminate the brake noise?

Thanks
What do they look like?? Are they shims? (Flat pieces of metal) If they are they go behind the pads where the piston pushes.

Another thing is you could try cleaning them up with brake cleaner. Getting all the dust out might help.

My brother had these on his Saab and I know they made more noise than stock, but we had them installed by a shop so I don't remember what came in the box.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Putting the shims in will likely resolve your noise issue. You might also want to pick up some caliper grease at the parts store to lube the pins and other parts, but keep it off the pads.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:53 AM

Quick question about removing the rear disc calipers. Is the large bolt with the rubber boot or the small black bolt the bolt which removes the caliper?