Notices
Scion tC 1G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Faulty master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Faulty master cylinder?

I've been having some problems with my brakes lately. It all started after I took my car to the canyons a little while ago. I overheated the fluid in the lines, so i purged all the burnt fluid out by bleeding it manually. The pedal was going to the floor when depressed, so I bled my brakes, but it didn't get any better.

I installed a set of Goodridge SS brake lines, but after installing them and bleeding the system with a vacuum bleeder, the pedal goes to the floor. My mechanic says it is a bypassing master cylinder and needs to be replaced.

My car is just under 4 years old and has 16k miles on it - just out of warranty. I took it back to the stealership and they extorted 50 bucks out of me to tell me nothing was wrong.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member

usually master cylinders last up to 10 years before they start to get bad. if you replace the lines and the issue still remains the same it's most likely the Master Cylinder itself, is there any leaks around the MC? I know the new Dual MC can't be open and repaired like the older ones they have to be fully replaced. did you adjust the push rod because thats a possible in the issue causing tho interfere with the inlet and compensation ports, if you do have a leak then your secondary seal is broken.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by matt
I've been having some problems with my brakes lately. It all started after I took my car to the canyons a little while ago. I overheated the fluid in the lines, so i purged all the burnt fluid out by bleeding it manually. The pedal was going to the floor when depressed, so I bled my brakes, but it didn't get any better.

I installed a set of Goodridge SS brake lines, but after installing them and bleeding the system with a vacuum bleeder, the pedal goes to the floor. My mechanic says it is a bypassing master cylinder and needs to be replaced.

My car is just under 4 years old and has 16k miles on it - just out of warranty. I took it back to the stealership and they extorted 50 bucks out of me to tell me nothing was wrong.

Has anyone else had this problem?
take a look at the check valve on the master cylinder booster. it's on the lower left, about the 7oclock position. if that was bad you'd possible have a vacuum leak.